For those interested in Liberty and it's facilities

Harry

48 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

We don't even need to wait on that. Liberty hired the ousted McCaw from Baylor as their AD who actively covered up sexual assault. To think that this is acceptable by anyone is sickening.

And years of it, for multiple years. TBH, I bet that's one of the few places that would take him.

• Upvote 6

15 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

While I do not believe everything they believe I do believe they had the right to their beliefs. 

I would hope that our values  embody supporting everyone's rights to their freedom of choice and respecting the fact that everyone does not have to agree with us. 

The funny thing is they don't believe everyone should have freedom of choice.  Faculty members have to accept Liberty's faith statement - including accepting that Genesis is literally true.  It's hard to expect a geologist or biologist to agree that the earth is only a few thousand years old & that all life was created in a week.  If you want to believe such nonsense that's fine.  To require your science faculty believe it is crap I don't want to be associated with.

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 8

18 minutes ago, GTWT said:

The funny thing is they don't believe everyone should have freedom of choice.  Faculty members have to accept Liberty's faith statement - including accepting that Genesis is literally true.  It's hard to expect a geologist or biologist to agree that the earth is only a few thousand years old & that all life was created in a week.  If you want to believe such nonsense that's fine.  To require your science faculty believe it is crap I don't want to be associated with.

Are  these professors being forced to work there?  So your view point is they should believe the way you do or they are wrong ?  Aren't you saying that the university having that belief toward their professors is what is wrong with them? 

Again you take the typical stance of everything is OK as long as you believe what you believe.  

• Upvote 14
  • Downvote 7

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Are  these professors being forced to work there?  So your view point is they should believe the way you do or they are wrong ?  Aren't you saying that the university having that belief toward their professors is what is wrong with them? 

Again you take the typical stance of everything is OK as long as you believe what you believe.  

You miss his point ENTIRELY.   His issue is with a university asking a scientist, a person whose very essence is questioning things, to believe in a mantra that rejects science.  It is no less, or more, offensive than a liberal arts university saying that all professors must sign a contract banning the introduction of creationism into the classroom.  

Than again, it's not hard to see how a school founded by this man might have some kooky views:

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 5

Emmitt with all due respect you are missing my point. While I believe he has every right to his opinion and his beliefs, but there are professors that may believe other than he does.  This is similar to saying a professor who has a different opinion on global warming is wrong or right compared to the other professor who believes differently.   

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

It's true that any biologist willing to teach at Liberty is probably a young earth creationist,  But if that professor came to his senses and accepted the overwhelming evidence for evolution he would be sacked.  Liberty requires the teaching of a viewpoint that is demonstrably false.  Do they have the right to do so?  Yes.  But I have the right to say that I want to have nothing to do with such a school.  I'm disappointed that my university has chosen to do so,

By the way, this isn't about religion.  I have no problem with playing TCU or SMU.  Those schools don't insist that only they are right.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

GTWT  -  I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the issue of others opinions (  as long as we can agree that the Mean Green is the best -  that is not open for discussion )

Yes.  On the Mean Green we agree.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, eulessismore said:

Sure, but can't that include favoring a good country butt kicking of them by our guys?

No problem mon! (On a Carribean vacation so my accent has changed a bit.)

But some need to leave politics and religion out of these threads.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GTWT said:

By the way, this isn't about religion.  I have no problem with playing TCU or SMU.  Those schools don't insist that only they are right.

No, it is about religion and beliefs...you agree with tcu/smu thinking they aren't only right, but in religion, many people believe only they are right. Let liberty believe and teach as they do and let tcu/smu teach as they do...otherwise, you have a problem with liberty's viewpoint on religion but not tcu/smu...mighty Baptist of ya

As a teacher of religions, there are going to be a ton of pissed off people upon death.

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, THOR said:

No, it is about religion and beliefs...you agree with tcu/smu thinking they aren't only right, but in religion, many people believe only they are right. Let liberty believe and teach as they do and let tcu/smu teach as they do...otherwise, you have a problem with liberty's viewpoint on religion but not tcu/smu...mighty Baptist of ya

As a teacher of religions, there are going to be a ton of pissed off people upon death.

This isn't about religion, it's about science.  It's about not teaching our children things that are demonstrably untrue.  Teaching children that the earth is 6,000 years old, that the earth was covered by a flood 4,000 years ago, and that talking snakes led mankind into sin, that's bullshit.  A 'university' that would teach such idiocy may be well within their rights, but it's not a place I want UNT to associate with.

This is about science, and maybe it's about culture.  The founder of Liberty thought that AIDS was God's punishment for homosexuals & that that the 4,000 deaths at the Twin Towers was God punishing our country for abortion.  I don't want UNT associated with that garbage either

As for TCU & SMU I respect them, not for their religious beliefs, but rather for the fact that they teach evolution in their science classrooms.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 9

11 minutes ago, GTWT said:

This isn't about religion, it's about science.  It's about not teaching our children things that are demonstrably untrue.  Teaching children that the earth is 6,000 years old, that the earth was covered by a flood 4,000 years ago, and that talking snakes led mankind into sin, that's bullshit.  A 'university' that would teach such idiocy may be well within their rights, but it's not a place I want UNT to associate with.

This is about science, and maybe it's about culture.  The founder of Liberty thought that AIDS was God's punishment for homosexuals & that that the 4,000 deaths at the Twin Towers was God punishing our country for abortion.  I don't want UNT associated with that garbage either

As for TCU & SMU I respect them, not for their religious beliefs, but rather for the fact that they teach evolution in their science classrooms.

In other words, "I respect them because they agree with me."

Your professions of tolerance are laughable.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 6

I think this Liberty thing might be the last straw for me. We're clearly dealing with the kind of people who will stop at nothing to get what they want and who will silence any dissent from within. If that's what it takes to be regularly competitive, then that is not a goal for me anymore which means I just don't care about the athletics. The more I read about Liberty and its leaders the worse I feel about this association, even if it means some wow factor visiting teams somehow.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

I think this Liberty thing might be the last straw for me. We're clearly dealing with the kind of people who will stop at nothing to get what they want and who will silence any dissent from within. If that's what it takes to be regularly competitive, then that is not a goal for me anymore which means I just don't care about the athletics. The more I read about Liberty and its leaders the worse I feel about this association, even if it means some wow factor visiting teams somehow.

So because your school is playing a school you don't like or agree with how they do things, you will stop supporting your school...makes perfect sense...damn some folks are high and almighty...ITS EFFING FOOTBALL!!!! Get over it

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

13 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

We don't even need to wait on that. Liberty hired the ousted McCaw from Baylor as their AD who actively covered up sexual assault. To think that this is acceptable by anyone is sickening.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

In other words, "I respect them because they agree with me."

Your professions of tolerance are laughable.

It's the difference between teaching science and pseudoscience. It's not "they agree" or not.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3