F.B.I. Director James Comey Is Fired by Trump

7 hours ago, Caw Caw said:

I agree it is in character... but shouldn't we hold the president to the standards of other presidents before him? I disagree on the evidence part too, I think things like this don't tumble with one piece of evidence. This is the type of thing that would take some serious data to back up if you're going to go after the POTUS. More released today that will give this train enough steam to at least run its course. It bothers me the most that we're so busing cheering on our team (Read party) that people don't hold people on their side of the aisle to the same standard. If any of this would have happened in Obamas term he would have been crucified, in my opinion.

That being said, I don't think Donald Trump is malicious. But, ignorance of the law isn't an excuse to break it. I think he's playing a game he doesn't know the rules of. Honestly, Flynn is the key to all of this. His information is pretty much out in the open, he offered to roll over on the others for immunity. The investigative group(s) must have something more concrete than a former generals testimony if they didn't sign him to a deal to fry bigger fish. It could all be nothing, but the white house isn't acting like a group that has nothing to be scared of, in my opinion.

Also, i appreciate the thoughtful and polite discourse, cheers.

Obama would have been crucified? Certainly not by the media. No President ever was handled with kid gloves like Barry.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, Caw Caw said:

I agree it is in character... but shouldn't we hold the president to the standards of other presidents before him? I disagree on the evidence part too, I think things like this don't tumble with one piece of evidence. This is the type of thing that would take some serious data to back up if you're going to go after the POTUS. More released today that will give this train enough steam to at least run its course. It bothers me the most that we're so busing cheering on our team (Read party) that people don't hold people on their side of the aisle to the same standard. If any of this would have happened in Obamas term he would have been crucified, in my opinion.

That being said, I don't think Donald Trump is malicious. But, ignorance of the law isn't an excuse to break it. I think he's playing a game he doesn't know the rules of. Honestly, Flynn is the key to all of this. His information is pretty much out in the open, he offered to roll over on the others for immunity. The investigative group(s) must have something more concrete than a former generals testimony if they didn't sign him to a deal to fry bigger fish. It could all be nothing, but the white house isn't acting like a group that has nothing to be scared of, in my opinion.

Also, i appreciate the thoughtful and polite discourse, cheers.

Well.. Maybe Obama would have been crucified, but that sort of implies you don't think Trump is.  He is getting slammed constantly on the news and by politicians.  The FBI has a counter-intelligence investigation and his Asst AG just assigned a special counsel.  

Obama poo-poo'd Romney's cold-war mentality towards the Russians during the debates and famously told Medvedev that he'd have more flexibility to work with them after the election.  It caused some stir in conservative circles, but no politicians calling for impeachment and CNN didn't have 50 bold headlines about it on their website every day.

We'll see on Flynn, he did ask for immunity, but AFAIK he didn't indicate he'd roll over on anybody, which is why they didn't take the deal.  If anybody is suspicious IMO it would be Paul Manafort.  However, he was only with the campaign for about 5 months, so it hard to know how much there would be to that.

Full disclosure... I am a Republican, but I find Trump to be a complete sleaze-ball and I didn't vote for him (or Hillary).  I also think a lot of his protectionist policies are awful.  I hope beyond hope he gets primaried next election.  However,  I'm very skeptical at this point.  Lots and lots of conjecture with no evidence.  The special prosecutor seems to be well regarded with both sides, so hopefully his findings will put some finality to the matter. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

Well.. Maybe Obama would have been crucified, but that sort of implies you don't think Trump is.  He is getting slammed constantly on the news and by politicians.  The FBI has a counter-intelligence investigation and his Asst AG just assigned a special counsel.  

Obama poo-poo'd Romney's cold-war mentality towards the Russians during the debates and famously told Medvedev that he'd have more flexibility to work with them after the election.  It caused some stir in conservative circles, but no politicians calling for impeachment and CNN didn't have 50 bold headlines about it on their website every day.

We'll see on Flynn, he did ask for immunity, but AFAIK he didn't indicate he'd roll over on anybody, which is why they didn't take the deal.  If anybody is suspicious IMO it would be Paul Manafort.  However, he was only with the campaign for about 5 months, so it hard to know how much there would be to that.

Full disclosure... I am a Republican, but I find Trump to be a complete sleaze-ball and I didn't vote for him (or Hillary).  I also think a lot of his protectionist policies are awful.  I hope beyond hope he gets primaried next election.  However,  I'm very skeptical at this point.  Lots and lots of conjecture with no evidence.  The special prosecutor seems to be well regarded with both sides, so hopefully his findings will put some finality to the matter. 

My full disclosure is that it's hard for me to pick a side in the two party system. I was raised in a conservative house hold (although my dad is a REGISTERED democrat), my dad is a 20-year air force veteran. I believed in conservative spending, but only after a large shift in budgetary spending towards primarily education, health care and infrastructure. It not that I think we should spend any more than we already do, I just think dumping 4 times as much as the next 8 countries in defense spending is outlandish, we're already in first. Aside from that I would be considered a social liberal, I believe that people should be able to marry whoever they want, etc. Without government interference. I think a wall is a dumb waste of money (in fact financially i think it's anti-conservative), etc.

I told my friends and family at the beginning of the election if I could believe a word out of Trumps mouth I would be in line to vote for him, but I only voted at all this year to not be on what I thought, and still think to some degree, people may view in the future as the wrong side of history. Trump is absolutely getting lambasted, but it would die out if he would get off twitter, keep his mouth shut and smile at his critics. He's one of the most insecure men i've ever witnessed in my life. He has picked a lot of these fights, in my opinion.

I too did some reading on the special investigator and I hope you're right that either way there is finality. I'm tired of the sensationalism on either side. The other thing I should mention is I was a journalism major. And although I'm in another field now, I take the first amendment and the (written) news and its protections very seriously. Broadcast news is now just for entertainment ratings and I mostly abhor it, written media still does mostly does its job.

I read an interesting theory about what possibly could have possibly gone on that was illegal, it is of course conjecture, but It actually had some logical legs. I linked it below, again, not gospel, just an interesting thought/perspective on the possibility. 

https://np.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/6alzm0/fbi_confirms_activity_in_annapolis/dhfnm85/?sh=8bd62816&st=J2KZA1Y9

Edit: www.washingtonpost.com/video/c/embed/83ee6838-3b41-11e7-a59b-26e0451a96fd this is the newest contribution, there is a larger article to it, but it doesn't speak well to the scope of things, in my opinion.

Edited by Caw Caw
  • Upvote 2

Guys and gals I am very proudly of how this conversation has allowed differing viewpoints without decaying into personal attacks and stone throwing.

This is good, rational discourse and what we hope that the Nest will allow for in the future.  Thanks and please carry on.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2017 at 7:05 AM, dodgefan said:

After 10 months of 24/7 coverage and investigations, not one shred of evidence has been produced.

10 months lol? Should the FBI invite you into their SCIF where the info is being compiled?  You are talking about potentially one of the biggest scandals of all-time and you think they should show their hand after 10 months? Give it time Pony Boy.

On 5/18/2017 at 7:05 AM, dodgefan said:

After 10 months of 24/7 coverage and investigations, not one shred of evidence has been produced.

According to Comey, who spontaneously became a "meticulous note taker" late in his career, said that Trump said he hoped something about the Flynn fellow.  Does that count?  If not, WTF are they doing?

I think they know it's nothing - except fodder for fundraising.  So, we are never going to hear the end of the nothing.

Republicans did it to Clinton and Obama to tune of thousands of legislative seats flipping parties.  Can the Democrats do the same?  If so, they will have to become more like the 2016 Republicans and support people who don't really seem to fit the traditional, national party mold.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/14/2017 at 0:18 PM, GrandGreen said:

The same Comey, that the Democrats were howling for his ouster.  Trump is a disaster in many ways, but attacking him for things like this which is fully in his rights to do, is just partisan politics as usual.   

One of the simplest and most relevant points made by one of my conservative friends was kind of referenced herein...but really...so many of the Democrats who were calling to get rid of Comey for everything about Hillary during the election are now vehemently opposed to his firing because Trump did it? I'm still waiting to see if more comes out one way or the other to decide how I feel about it all...but I think it's tacky for people who completely oppose someone to suddenly rush to his defense just because the other party ousted him rather than their own. Divisiveness for the sake of party and not for the sake of outcomes is ridiculous. Fortunately, it doesn't sound like any of you fall into that category.

On 5/14/2017 at 1:50 PM, GTWT said:

That's according to President Trump.

Well this post didn't age well... with Comey saying it himself, and agreeing that everything was leaked BUT this lol.

On 5/14/2017 at 5:07 PM, GTWT said:

Please provide a link to a legitimate source documenting those statements by Comey.

Comey saying it himself.... 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2