Doug Smock: C-USA TV deal could get interesting

Harry

THE CIRCUMSTANCES venture into “don’t ask” territory, but I witnessed members of opposing softball teams dancing the Macarena over the weekend, during a long break in the action.

I instantly wondered how many ladies on the Marshall and Alabama-Birmingham teams were even born when that craze gripped America. I shouldn’t admit this, but I knew that was 1995 without looking it up.

In 1995, Marshall football was seen on WSAZ, Channel 3, with home games usually at 7 p.m. Conference USA was in its infancy and I declined to pay extra for call waiting on my push-button telephone. We still had answering machines!

Now, Marshall is in finishing its 12th season in that C-USA, which has five schools that weren’t even playing football in 1995. Finding the right channel — or device — to watch games is half the fun.

To write about it is no fun. Getting the correct outlet for an upcoming football game is cause for relief. Deciphering who owns what and who airs what can be elusive.

C-USA’s TV landscape is becoming more convoluted — so much so, you’ll be able to find games this fall on Twitter!

What the heck. Isn’t that where a presidency was born?

Let’s go back to the future of the soon-to-be-former American Sports Network, which carried six Thundering Herd games last year.

- See more at: http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports-marshall-university/20170507/doug-smock-c-usa-tv-deal-could-get-interesting#sthash.qCJk6wsF.dpuf

Update.... Good news for C-USA

Smock has been contacted by beIN sports and they still want C-USA inventory. Here is the link.

https://twitter.com/dougsmock/status/862110683449765889

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

Update.... Good news for C-USA

Smock has been contacted by beIN sports and they still want C-USA inventory. Here is the link.

https://twitter.com/dougsmock/status/862110683449765889

Good. They did excellent for us last season. They are a big network, just growing into areas other than soccer. Will use us as a stepping stone no doubt. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Good. They did excellent for us last season. They are a big network, just growing into areas other than soccer. Will use us as a stepping stone no doubt. 

I had the pleasure of working for them the one home football game and one home basketball game this did for us this school year. Glad to have them back.