Former Bball players under investigation

Lurker

9 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Hiring counsel is a smart move by anyone under criminal investigation and when faced with potential civil litigation. I don't see any indication of covering anything up. 

Not according to the know it all UNT90. He says it's a sign of a cover up.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, Rudy said:

I don't think there is a conflict of interest.  This is UNTPD's jurisdiction.  They've always been a good PD.  I doubt the Rangers would touch this, as they focus on other criminal activities..

Possessing marihuana and selling it are two COMPLETELY different things.  And you clearly don't understand "organized criminal activity.  This goes beyond trading a joint for a blow job.

Part of the Ranger's job is assisting agencies in matters just like this. 

Its also Denton PD's jurisdiction. As well as DCSO's jurisdiction. Lots of options. The worst option is having a university PD investigate a matter in which the university could have liability. Avoid any appearance of impropriety and let another agency take over. It's the proper thing to do. 

7 hours ago, Bullyballer said:

All I have heard about is an "Investigation" and Brice being arrested with what amounts to a ticket in most states now days. But some how, he has become the face of what's alleged, as if its all true. From everything I know about Brice is he's a very nice young man, that's never been in any trouble EVER. Not even been in a fight before. Now, based on accusations alone, he's being looked at like he's Frank Lucas, running a prostitution ring. Obviously, he's made a bad decision, that will affect his life. 

It's totally possible, that the alleged "promoting prostitution" could be offering weed for sex, from a single person. It's also possible, that the alleged "organized criminal activity", could be the belief that the purchase of weed, was to profit, in some way, including using it bargain for sex. Outside of actually having weed in his possession, the other accusations could come from a single source. And finally, it's very possible, that the source could be untrue.

Guess what guys- some college students smoke marijuana, and some students sell it to the students that smoke it.  I know this is a surprise to some, but this happens.

Also, news flash, some student athletes get accused of things, sometimes its true, sometimes its false.

Let's let the Investigation complete before we mark everything accused as being true.  I find it odd, that if warrants are issued for other students, that they haven't been arrested. I doubt any of them are hard to find.

Not the law, 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, GreenMachine said:

Not according to the know it all UNT90. He says it's a sign of a cover up.

No, I said it's a sign of covering your ass for liability purposes. 

Of course, facts never matter to you. Rah rah rah, sis book ba. Nothing to see here, folks. 

Maybe you would like to reissue the AD party line of what a clean program Benford ran. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 10

Bringing in someone from the outside is a really good way to have an objective, non-biased look at what is happening within an organization. If you want a cover-up you do the investigation yourself.

I see the outside investigation as a good thing as it shows we have proper controls in place for organizations like the NCAA and federal government (Title 9 concerns, etc) should anyone come in asking questions.

As to the Texas Rangers assisting with serving some warrants, I think they have bigger, more important cases to handle ... like the officer involved shooting out in Balch Springs.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

44 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Of course, facts never matter to you. Rah rah rah, sis book ba. Nothing to see here, folks. 

Maybe you would like to reissue the AD party line of what a clean program Benford ran. 

45 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

This is all schtick. No way somebody can be a totally ass about EVERYTHING on accident.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

17 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Bringing in someone from the outside is a really good way to have an objective, non-biased look at what is happening within an organization. If you want a cover-up you do the investigation yourself.

I see the outside investigation as a good thing as it shows we have proper controls in place for organizations like the NCAA and federal government (Title 9 concerns, etc) should anyone come in asking questions.

As to the Texas Rangers assisting with serving some warrants, I think they have bigger, more important cases to handle ... like the officer involved shooting out in Balch Springs.

Bahahahahaha. They are paid by UNT, which means attorney-client protection attaches. Whatever the law firm finds out, they can NEVER publicly comment about. That is left up to... wait for it... the university. 

Apparently you also missed that this is an ONGOING INVESTIGATION. 

Also, is it the current AD party line to use the death of a 15 year old in another county as a distraction technique from this issue? I mean, the fact that you issued that insane statement makes that possibility extremely viable.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 17

13 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Unless you have a lot of information that most of us don't, your post is way over the line.  Is the screen time worth making a complete ass out of yourself.   

For him?  Yes.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

For him?  Yes.

You guys can all get together (again) for a circle... function. 

20 minutes ago, Green P1 said:

Glad I never saw any of these guys play a second of UNT basketball. 

Army of Dad went to every game. I doubt if he got to see a second of real basketball. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 11

10 hours ago, Bullyballer said:

All I have heard about is an "Investigation" and Brice being arrested with what amounts to a ticket in most states now days. But some how, he has become the face of what's alleged, as if its all true. From everything I know about Brice is he's a very nice young man, that's never been in any trouble EVER. Not even been in a fight before. Now, based on accusations alone, he's being looked at like he's Frank Lucas, running a prostitution ring. Obviously, he's made a bad decision, that will affect his life. 

It's totally possible, that the alleged "promoting prostitution" could be offering weed for sex, from a single person. It's also possible, that the alleged "organized criminal activity", could be the belief that the purchase of weed, was to profit, in some way, including using it bargain for sex. Outside of actually having weed in his possession, the other accusations could come from a single source. And finally, it's very possible, that the source could be untrue.

Guess what guys- some college students smoke marijuana, and some students sell it to the students that smoke it.  I know this is a surprise to some, but this happens.

Also, news flash, some student athletes get accused of things, sometimes its true, sometimes its false.

Let's let the Investigation complete before we mark everything accused as being true.  I find it odd, that if warrants are issued for other students, that they haven't been arrested. I doubt any of them are hard to find.

But then what would @UNT90 have to comment about?

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Part of the Ranger's job is assisting agencies in matters just like this. 

Its also Denton PD's jurisdiction. As well as DCSO's jurisdiction. Lots of options. The worst option is having a university PD investigate a matter in which the university could have liability. Avoid any appearance of impropriety and let another agency take over. It's the proper thing to do. 

Not the law, 

So who is your inside source that says Denton PD, or any of the other agencies you listed, are not involved?  You sure can take a few comments about this situation and jump to a lot of conclusions.  After all this time, I should realize this is your M.O.

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

So, what are the facts?  Outside of what has been written in the DRC article, what do you know exactly occurred?  Outside of what has been written in the DRC, who else do you know that is involved in the investigation?

Face it, you're clueless but just stirring the pot.

In regards to the bolded comment above, and speaking of the pot, Pot meet Kettle.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Whatever the cost of the legal representation, subtract that from the buyout we wouldn't pay and that makes the idea of bringing Benford back to colossally lose and attract about 1500 fans per game at the Super Pit and its 10k seats even more ridiculous.

I hope Smatresk and Baker use this as a learning experience. When a coach shows you he/she cannot get the job done, you fire them. The cost of termination is less than the colossal cost of losing and not getting any revenue from fans coming to games, as well as having kids on the team that aren't stupid and can see when a coach is a lame duck, knowing that they can get away with stuff that they normally can't do with a  real coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

So, what are the facts?  Outside of what has been written in the DRC article, what do you know exactly occurred?  Outside of what has been written in the DRC, who else do you know that is involved in the investigation?

The fact that it said it the article very specifically that UNT PD was handling the investigation? Did you miss that? Too busy in that circle? 

As to the rest, rah rah rah sis Boom bah.

11 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Whatever the cost of the legal representation, subtract that from the buyout we wouldn't pay and that makes the idea of bringing Benford back to colossally lose and attract about 1500 fans per game at the Super Pit and its 10k seats even more ridiculous.

I hope Smatresk and Baker use this as a learning experience. When a coach shows you he/she cannot get the job done, you fire them. The cost of termination is less than the colossal cost of losing and not getting any revenue from fans coming to games, as well as having kids on the team that aren't stupid and can see when a coach is a lame duck, knowing that they can get away with stuff that they normally can't do with a  real coach.

Will UNT ever be anything other than where people "learn lessons?" 

• Downvote 10

7 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Probably not when it comes to sports...

But when it comes to music and arts, we are top notch...

Nothing wrong with that, but its just the exact opposite of how every other FBS university in the region markets their school.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

3rd former member of the basketball program is Derail Green:

Couldn't find an arrest record for him so he's not been entered into the Denton County jail systems or has not been found/arrested yet.

WBAP Article

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

The fact that it said it the article very specifically that UNT PD was handling the investigation? Did you miss that? Too busy in that circle? 

As to the rest, rah rah rah sis Boom bah.

The crime was committed on campus, thus the jurisdiction of UNT PD.  Yes, I read that.  Kind of like when a crime is committed in Denton, the Denton PD investigate.  Your argument is hollow.  

I also read that they had hired an independent firm to investigate, something you equate to CYA.  CYA is when Baylor had their own Board investigate, not an independent outside firm.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Rudy said:

Possessing marihuana and selling it are two COMPLETELY different things.  And you clearly don't understand "organized criminal activity.  This goes beyond trading a joint for a blow job.

I do know they are very different, but in close proximity. And, the trading a joint for a blow job is a simplistic view, but for that I was pointing more to the promoting prostitution accusation. The organized criminal activity, would be the purchase of weed for profit.  And let's not act like charging statements don't exaggerate possible crimes.  

• Downvote 2