Former Bball players under investigation

Lurker

From the Office of the President

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

On April 28th, the UNT Police Department obtained arrest warrants for three university students and one individual unassociated with the university.  Warrants for engaging in organized criminal activity—promotion of prostitution and drug possession were obtained for two students while a warrant for drug possession was obtained for the third student. The UNT Police Department is leading the criminal investigation. 

None of the students involved are currently allowed on campus.

On March 30th, the university received a report of an alleged sexual assault with a reference to alleged prostitution, and the UNTPD immediately began an aggressive investigation.  President Neal Smatresk, a handful of key university officials and the UNT System Office of General Counsel were aware of the ongoing investigation.  On April 26th, the president was briefed by the UNT Chief of Police, after which appropriate action was taken. 

Two of the students are former members of the men’s basketball program and the other had served as a student manager for the program. Based on the information the university has received from law enforcement thus far, this appears to be an isolated incident involving individuals who are no longer associated with our men’s basketball program.

President Smatresk and Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker have retained the services of Bond Schoeneck & King, a national law firm, to conduct an independent review and ensure that there are no cultural or climate issues within the program.  The firm will begin its review today and will work quickly but comprehensively.

The university will report on the results of the review – and any recommendations – upon its completion.  The review will not be focused on any of the criminal aspects of this case, as that is a police matter.  Should the outside review or the law enforcement investigation result in new information or concerns, they will be addressed.

University President Neal Smatresk:

“The alleged actions of these students are contrary to the values of our university and our Student Code of Conduct. The university is cooperating fully with investigators and working diligently to obtain all facts pertaining to this issue. We will be as transparent as possible with the university community.  The independent review by a respected national firm will help to ensure that this matter is not indicative of a cultural issue within the program. It’s the responsibility of this university to promote a respectful and supportive environment for our community, and we will take all appropriate actions to ensure the safety of our community members.”

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Rickey, why?!

Now I am wondering, since at least one is a guy transferring out, if their transferring is just a coincidence. If not this specifically maybe McCasland made a targeted effort to "clean house" with some stuff that had maybe been swept under the rug previously. We know this happened with the football program, with several guys leaving when SL came in due to off the field issues. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Now I am wondering, since at least one is a guy transferring out, if their transferring is just a coincidence. If not this specifically maybe McCasland made a targeted effort to "clean house" with some stuff that had maybe been swept under the rug previously. We know this happened with the football program, with several guys leaving when SL came in due to off the field issues. 

Brices's and Brown's transfers were announced at the same time. With this recent situation, it makes you wonder under what circumstances they left the program.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Brices's and Brown's transfers were announced at the same time. With this recent situation, it makes you wonder under what circumstances they left the program.

I was thinking Brown was the other, but didn't want to make assumptions. When this type of thing happens, it's never a good reflection on the culture of a program, or a good thing in general obviously. If that is the case, I am glad McCasland swiftly took care of it. Waiting to see what other facts come out. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I was thinking Brown was the other, but didn't want to make assumptions. When this type of thing happens, it's never a good reflection on the culture of a program, or a good thing in general obviously. If that is the case, I am glad McCasland swiftly took care of it. Waiting to see what other facts come out. 

Reece Waddell made it seem like Brice's arrest is all that is known right now. There were two other students involved in this mess (player and student manager) who have warrants but perhaps have not been arrested yet?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Looks like the Administration is on it, bigtime. Good for them! Let's get the whole problem identified and excised from the University ASAP.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

@Andrew  can you get the hot scoop on what the player's motives might (or might not) have been in this situation?  Was it due to losing faith in the fans? Was it something we said about Benford?  If so then I would recommend that we get a GoFundMe together to get them the legal representation that they will need in the near-future.  I even know a real hot-shot attorney in the making that might take the case pro-bono if he can be so compelled by their righteous motivations for these acts.

3 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

Looks like the Administration is on it, bigtime. Good for them! Let's get the whole problem identified and excised from the University ASAP.

Yeah, I immediately thought that this was like the complete opposite of Baylor. Imagine if Art Briles and the Baylor administration had handled that situation with complete transparency and swift action, by kicking the players off the team. How easy it could have been to avoid their scandal. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, All About UNT said:

@Andrew  can you get the hot scoop on what the player's motives might (or might not) have been in this situation?  Was it due to losing faith in the fans? Was it something we said about Benford?  If so then I would recommend that we get a GoFundMe together to get them the legal representation that they will need in the near-future.  I even know a real hot-shot attorney in the making that might take the case pro-bono if he can be so compelled by their righteous motivations for these acts.

Benford encouraged a real family atmosphere. So, if this is true, at least we can take comfort and pride in the fact our guys weren't just running a dirty old whorehouse. It was surely a healthy and nurturing whoreHOME. 

6 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

Sounds like this is linked back to an alleged sexual assault that took place in late March.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

42 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Reece Waddell made it seem like Brice's arrest is all that is known right now. There were two other students involved in this mess (player and student manager) who have warrants but perhaps have not been arrested yet?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, jdennis82 said:

Coaches Caravans_event_041217

Opportunity for Baker & Co to hear and address thoughts and concerns over this and steps being taken to prevent similar issues going forward..

Gotta give the law firm to the very end of bball season to properly evaluate the situation before commenting or announcing any action. 

40 minutes ago, Quoner said:

In retrospect, should we be relieved he never hit his double double potential. 

Not surprising. At 7', he's an old school center. Not a stretch 4 like some of the modern guys with 3 point or 4 pointer shooting range. 

3 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Benford encouraged a real family atmosphere. So, if this is true, at least we can take comfort and pride in the fact our guys weren't just running a dirty old whorehouse. It was surely a healthy and nurturing whoreHOME. 

If by family, you mean pimping out young females to make money, you are spot on.

A sloppy program on the court is a sloppy program off the court. I doubt some on this forum ever learn that lesson.

Good thing Baker let Benny mismanage this thing all the way through, isnt it? Can't wait to see the usual suck ups posting how this isn't Baker's fault. It is. He knew the element Benford brought in this last year and allowed it.

I wonder if human trafficking charges come out of this mess. For those that don't know how the prostitution game works now-a-days, pimps find girls who have ran away from home, aged out foster care with nowhere to go, or have other circumstances that leave them with zero life options and zero support systems. The pimps pretend to be their boyfriend and promise to support them. It seems legit at first as the pimp puts them up in a hotel room. Pretty shortly after, the pimp asks them to turn their first trick. He manipulates if it works, beats them if it doesn't. The girls turn 20-30 tricks a day and give every last cent to the pimp. The girl gets a hotel room for tricks and food, and that is it. Food is often withheld as a form of punishment. The girls feel helpless and trapped, feeling the only dependable person in their life is their pimp, even if that dependability includes tricks and beatings.. 

This is the playbook of every ghetto pimp out there. 

Lets be VERY clear. This isn't college girls making extra money.

I don't think anyone on this forum gets (or wants to get) how big this could be. It very well could be the final death blow to UNT basketball. 

And I expect this post to be pulled the second it is seen by mods.

2 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Gotta give the law firm to the very end of bball season to properly evaluate the situation before commenting or announcing any action. 

The law firm was hired to protect UNT and it's staff. They aren't investigating shit. That isn't the way this works. 

Thank you, President Smatresk, for allowing 5 full years of this.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 19