DRC: Source -- Combs transfers to LSU

Guess Combs is tied at the hip with Benford.  Interesting considering the failure he was as a head coach here.  I would think his advisers would direct him elsewhere, but then again, maybe he realizes the familiarity will be good since he only has one season left.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

This has to be a better move for him than going to New Mexico. Assuming that he is able to perform physically, he could have a good season. The pressure is on and I wish him the best.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Guess Combs is tied at the hip with Benford.  Interesting considering the failure he was as a head coach here.  I would think his advisers would direct him elsewhere, but then again, maybe he realizes the familiarity will be good since he only has one season left.

I don't want the above to be confused with not wishing him well.  I hope Jeremy is All-SEC and gets drafted, but it seems odd to me that he up and follows Benford.  It must be a testament to Benford's relationship with his players and not his coaching ability.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

13 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Effective immediately our conference should be named the Big 14

Or we could rename the conference 'P5' or 'Power 5' just to one up the aac.  Think of the free publicity we would get from the talking heads that are always referring to the P5.

Edited by TreeFiddy

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

Just about every player who played for him loved him and had his back. Obviously he was not the right coach for the job here but I will tell you that it hurt the players that the fans trashed their leader and mentor. The past 5 years were not good for UNT in many ways. We weren't good on the court and off the court our players lost respect for a lot of fans. Hopefully we can rebuild this and everyone can learn from it. 

Hi. Have have some questions for the players I hope you'll have time to continue to answer on their behalf through your position as a connected insider:

• What should we learn and how should we approach it from here on out?
  • Can we regain the respect of everyone who transferred?
  • Do the players still want us to come to their games or should we wait for full roster turnover?
  • Are all those who graduated glad they came here and played for Benford? 
  • EDIT: Pretty bummed if we've lost the respect of these guys as well. 
Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

Just about every player who played for him loved him and had his back. Obviously he was not the right coach for the job here but I will tell you that it hurt the players that the fans trashed their leader and mentor. The past 5 years were not good for UNT in many ways. We weren't good on the court and off the court our players lost respect for a lot of fans. Hopefully we can rebuild this and everyone can learn from it. 

I think the fans have lost respect for a lot of the players, so... Even?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 12

On 5/1/2017 at 4:08 PM, untjim1995 said:

This is a great example of why Benford was a solid hire at LSU as a recruiting assistant. He knows people and can get recruits to fall for his sales pitch. Then, with solid head coaches, those kids can flourish in that system.

Pretty much sums up his coaching career pre-UNT.  He's not the first assistant in the history of sports who couldn't succeed as the head coach.  So, he's certainly no trailblazer there.    

Benford's a good recruiter and a good guy.  So was Rob Evans.  Not surprised that a player with the talent to play at LSU followed him to LSU. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1