2017 Coaches Caravan in review

cjones

16 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

My understanding is that Wren will be speaking and providing renderings of future facilities.   Coaches will be mingling but not giving speeches this time unless Wren calls on them informally to speak on something specific.   

That would be called the AD caravan.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

That would be called the AD caravan.

The coaches will still be caravanning along.  I'm told that at least one coach of significance expressed that they'd rather use the time for one-on-one conversations (dialogue) with fans than standing in front of folks giving a speech (monologue).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

The coaches will still be caravanning along.  I'm told that at least one coach of significance expressed that they'd rather use the time for one-on-one conversations (dialogue) with fans than standing in front of folks giving a speech (monologue).

the only problem with that, is some of those conversations are just coach adoration by some fans.....  Keep the discussion moving about the team, this year, and what the expectations are from the fans and coaches....

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Hmmm.  There never has been a problem in the past of coaches doing both.  Every one we've attended (the past six in a row), the coaches freely and openly speak to the folks before and after the speeches. 

Could it be, if this is true, that "coach of significance" simply doesn't like to speak in public?  If so, he (or, she) perhaps shouldn't be a head coach.  Not sure how, especially in the 21st Century, any head coach of an FBS-level program, men's or women's, could expect to take the job and get a pass of speaking to the fans and alumni.  Seems like speaking to the faithful - and, potentially faithful - would be an expectation, not a matter of choice for head coaches.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

I highly doubt the coaches won't do a speech of some type.  That is what this is for, to stir up interest in the program.   I hope it is not the self-serving love fest that RV had, but talking to every coach individually to obtain the usual boilerplate news would be ineffective and disappointing.  

There was plenty of time to talk to coaches if you chose under the old format.  As noted above, doing both should not be an issue.    

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Hmmm.  There never has been a problem in the past of coaches doing both.  Every one we've attended (the past six in a row), the coaches freely and openly speak to the folks before and after the speeches. 

Could it be, if this is true, that "coach of significance" simply doesn't like to speak in public?  If so, he (or, she) perhaps shouldn't be a head coach.  Not sure how, especially in the 21st Century, any head coach of an FBS-level program, men's or women's, could expect to take the job and get a pass of speaking to the fans and alumni.  Seems like speaking to the faithful - and, potentially faithful - would be an expectation, not a matter of choice for head coaches.

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

I highly doubt the coaches won't do a speech of some type.  That is what this is for, to stir up interest in the program.   I hope it is not the self-serving love fest that RV had, but talking to every coach individually to obtain the usual boilerplate news would be ineffective and disappointing.  

There was plenty of time to talk to coaches if you chose under the old format.  As noted above, doing both should not be an issue.    

Honestly, I hope my source is mistaken.   Info came from a university employee with one of the organizations responsible for putting the event together.   Regardless, I expect the events to be a welcomed break in the offseason for the revenue sports.  I've never been disappointed. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Who the hell cares.

If he wants to mingle and have face-to-face convos instead of give speeches, let him.

mountains, mole hills n sh*t

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

18 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

If I am hiring a head coach, public speaking is way down the totem pole on areas of importance.  Sure, they should be able to stir up interest in the program, but their ability to lead the program and win are way above their comfort of speaking to a crowd.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

If I am hiring a head coach, public speaking is way down the totem pole on areas of importance.  Sure, they should be able to stir up interest in the program, but their ability to lead the program and win are way above their comfort of speaking to a crowd.

I agree to some extent, but public speaking is a big part of the job.  There is nothing most of us hate more than public speaking, but it is part of the job for a lot of us.  The head coaching position is certainly one position that requires public speaking.  You certainly don't have to be a Trilli or McCarney, but communications from the hc is just as much a requirement of the job as being able to formulate a game plan.  

Again, I doubt this is even an issue.  

• Upvote 4

"...Fans will get the chance to hear Baker talk about those plans at the coaches' caravan.

The caravan also offers fans an opportunity to speak with Mean Green coaches, which this year includes new men's basketball coach Grant McCasland, football coach Seth Littrell and women's basketball coach Jalie Mitchell."

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/mg-club/spec-rel/041917aad.html

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Coaches Caravans begin tomorrow starting in Plano.  Be there or be square!  (Are the kids still saying that these days?)

I may come to this one. Only one I can bring my teenage son to, all the rest are at bars.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Coaches Caravans begin tomorrow starting in Plano.  Be there or be square!  (Are the kids still saying that these days?)

Sadly, no....but you may be a savage bro who is lit...

• Upvote 3