Calling an Ace an Ace discussion

On 4/22/2017 at 2:53 PM, EagleMBA said:

I once commented on my Italian brother-in-law's new set of Pirelli tires. Told him that they were OK because dago through rain and dago through snow...but when dago flat dago wop wop wop! He smiled and responded with a slur about my mother. Then we drank a beer. Those were the good old days!

I would have posted a youtube link to a Lenny Bruce performance but thought better of it. :)

My grandfather had this bicycle that he'd ride around on.  It had a little license plate on it.  It read, "The Big Wop" 

When we were out fishing, over the CB, he'd be The Big Wop, and I'd be the Little Wop.  

• Upvote 1

Where I grew up there were large neighborhoods of people of predominantly Italian, Irish, Belgian, German, Hungarian and Polish heritage. The "Polish Hour" was a regular radio show on Sundays, in Polish, with lively polka music. Brave Combo always brings back memories for me when they crank out a little "nuclear polka". Those red octagonal street signs you see at intersections were said to really mean "Stop Teasing Our Polacks".

When you used the word "hunky" in those days it referred to someone of Hungarian heritage...my how times have changed!

Know what? We all got along just fine, there was good-natured banter, and no one really got pissed off.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

Where I grew up there were large neighborhoods of people of predominantly Italian, Irish, Belgian, German, Hungarian and Polish heritage. The "Polish Hour" was a regular radio show on Sundays, in Polish, with lively polka music. Brave Combo always brings back memories for me when they crank out a little "nuclear polka". Those red octagonal street signs you see at intersections were said to really mean "Stop Teasing Our Polacks".

When you used the word "hunky" in those days it referred to someone of Hungarian heritage...my how times have changed!

Know what? We all got along just fine, there was good-natured banter, and no one really got pissed off.

People don't get upset today, they just want attention so they have to act like something bothers them. I am a white dude with  Irish/Scottish decent. You  can call me every name in the book, make fun of my heritage, even rib me for being freakishly endowed, wouldn't bother me one damn bit.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

By the way, Happy Birthday.

• Upvote 1

----When I was in HS (back in the dark ages) .. some guys would go about a block off campus and have a gay time dragging fags**... No there is nothing sexual about that comment .... Times and words change sometimes...... and sometimes where matters... (. local slang.) .  I even witnessed a lot of "gay apparel" this past weekend at a prom... [fa-la-la-la-la]  PS--- the dark ages mean years ago and nothing else. .... Don't make something out of a comment that isn't what was meant or even meant as an insult..  That is my belief "in Spades". 

** they were having a good time and smoking cigarettes. [ British slang from WWII. that appeared in America after then.] 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1