Calling an Ace an Ace discussion

1 hour ago, All About UNT said:

Naw I'm good. The term has been around since ancient Greece and it has zero racial connotation unless you're some backwoods redneck dolt 

The swastika has been around since ancient Nordic times...but I think I'll avoid using it in my off hand commentary

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

15 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

The swastika has been around since ancient Nordic times...but I think I'll avoid using it in my off hand commentary

Sorry Emmitt but that one is a bit more recognizable.  Until today I had zero idea that the term "spade" was used in any sort of degrading term for another group of people.  Don't blow this shit out of proportion and let's not compare apples to oranges.

And for the sake of accuracy you should know that the swastika actually derives from a symbol most commonly found in the Indian subcontinent. It's adoption as a symbol of the Nazi party obviously didn't come around till the early thirties.

Sorry but this isn't a Randall from Clerks moment.

3 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Sorry Emmitt but that one is a bit more recognizable.  Until today I had zero idea that the term "spade" was used in any sort of degrading term for another group of people.  Don't blow this shit out of proportion and let's not compare apples to oranges

Sorry but this isn't a Randall from Clerks moment.

Seems like everyone knew it was besides you, Randall. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Yep, every overly sensitive person looking for something wrong in everything.  So tired of this.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_a_spade_a_spade

Yep, those delicate snowflakes, always looking for common decency.

From the wikipedia link you cite:  

"however, in contemporary U.S. society, the idiom is often avoided due to potential confusion with the slur."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

12 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Look, I am all for common decency and am fully against racism, but let's look at intent. His intent was not racially motivated. Let's stop injecting race at every opportunity. Reminds me of good old John Wiley Price claiming the person calling Dallas City Hall a "black hole" was injecting racism where it wasn't needed. 

I'm well aware of the idiom, and I don't think for one minute that the poster who used it meant it as racist.  I meant my previous post mostly as a joke with him; he's the one who got bent out of shape about it.  That said, he employed the idiom while ranting against a person that happens to be black, and in that context it certainly sounds poorly phrased at best.  The poster admitted he didn't know that "spade" was a racial slur, which explains the poor choice of words.  "Niggardly" is not a racial slur, but if you are describing a black person, there are other options available in the wide English vocabulary that would probably be better.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Let me clarify since this has become a whole thread... I wasn't aware of the idiom's double meaning, either. As that article said, it hasn't been used in that way since the 1920's. Out of curiosity, I asked a few fellow millennials and none of them had heard of it being used in that way either. I don't think it is commonly known at all with our generation, unlike the word used in the comment before mine. I just thought it was funny and was making fun of my fake friend @All About UNT. I know him personally and know he is only racist against Italians, but we keep our spaghetti grubbin' jokes confined to @Quoner. 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I'm well aware of the idiom, and I don't think for one minute that the poster who used it meant it as racist.  I meant my previous post mostly as a joke with him; he's the one who got bent out of shape about it.  That said, he employed the idiom while ranting against a person that happens to be black, and in that context it certainly sounds poorly phrased at best.  The poster admitted he didn't know that "spade" was a racial slur, which explains the poor choice of words.  "Niggardly" is not a racial slur, but if you are describing a black person, there are other options available in the wide English vocabulary that would probably be better.

Niggardly? Swastikas? WTF people?

If the term Niggardly doesn't sound alarm bells in your mind before using it then I would like you to point out the rock you grew up under.  

If I mention that someone looks "greasy" or you need to "grease" something up then I don't expect every Italian to come find me with legit beef.

And look out ladies.... don't let me hear you calling anyone "hunky" cause my Polish ethic background takes offense to that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunky_culture

I lean left... hate Trump and most of his diehard followers with a passion.  I would draw the line on PC culture with having to be reminded of someones race as to why I should NOT use a term that originated among the ancient Greeks and was more popularized by writers like Charles Dickens.  

I know you were joking 93-98 and I don't take any offense to what you mentioned.  If anything... thanks for the history lesson...but the term "spade a spade" is still a legit term to use to call something "for what it is" in my eyes.  Race shouldn't even be a factor here.

4 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Niggardly? Swastikas? WTF people?

If the term Niggardly doesn't sound alarm bells in your mind before using it then I would like you to point out the rock you grew up under.  

If I mention that someone looks "greasy" or you need to "grease" something up then I don't expect every Italian to come find me with legit beef.

And look out ladies.... don't let me hear you calling anyone "hunky" cause my Polish ethic background takes offense to that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunky_culture

I lean left... hate Trump and most of his diehard followers with a passion.  I would draw the line on PC culture with having to be reminded of someones race as to why I should NOT use a term that originated among the ancient Greeks and was more popularized by writers like Charles Dickens.  

I know you were joking 93-98 and I don't take any offense to what you mentioned.  If anything... thanks for the history lesson...but the term "spade a spade" is still a legit term to use to call something "for what it is" in my eyes.  Race shouldn't even be a factor here.

Buddy, I’ve been called a greasy thug, too. It never stops hurting. So here’s what we’re gonna do: we’re gonna grease ourselves up real good and trash that place with a baseball bat! 

29 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Ah hell, let's just list every damn word someone on this board finds offensive and pin it to the top of the board.

Didn't you straight lose your composure over people criticizing the movie you named your online identity after?  Sometimes it seems like the self proclaimed heroes of free speech get awfully upset. I think the new term for it is triggered, but I'm not up on the latest vernacular detailed in every issue of Re: re: RE FWD Email Weekly.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Didn't you straight lose your composure over people criticizing the movie you named your online identity after?  Sometimes it seems like the self proclaimed heroes of free speech get awfully upset. I think the new term for it is triggered, but I'm not up on the latest vernacular detailed in every issue of Re: re: RE FWD Email Weekly.  

You're just pissy because @All About UNT won't let you call guys hunky anymore. 

Don't lash out in anger.

21 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

You're just pissy because @All About UNT won't let you call guys hunky anymore. 

Don't lash out in anger.

Listen, I love @All About UNT's six-pack abs and chiseled features as much as the next guy but it's not like I'm going to get...totally lost in his eyes and forget why I was posting in the first place. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

I was taking shots at the writer for their over the top critique, but yeah, apples to oranges.

Common phrases devolved from forgotten ethnic slurs  <<<<<< Sean Astin feature flicks 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Common phrases devolved from forgotten ethnic slurs  <<<<<< Sean Astin feature flicks 

Watching him on screen, growing from Encino boy to Encino Man... 

Does it feel like he's practically my own son? You bet your Astin it does! 

23 hours ago, Rudy said:

Ah hell, let's just list every damn word someone on this board finds offensive and pin it to the top of the board.

I once commented on my Italian brother-in-law's new set of Pirelli tires. Told him that they were OK because dago through rain and dago through snow...but when dago flat dago wop wop wop! He smiled and responded with a slur about my mother. Then we drank a beer. Those were the good old days!

I would have posted a youtube link to a Lenny Bruce performance but thought better of it. :)

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

I once commented on my Italian brother-in-law's new set of Pirelli tires. Told him that they were OK because dago through rain and dago through snow...but when dago flat dago wop wop wop! He smiled and responded with a slur about my mother. Then we drank a beer. Those were the good old days!

I would have posted a youtube link to a Lenny Bruce performance but thought better of it. :)

You should hear cops and military talking smack to each other.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1