WKU SGA demands free tuition for black students

The epitome of stupid thinking. Just look at the other ways in the article that they want to spend other people's money. No further comment deserved.

2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

This made me laugh:

So how else does the university get money to pay for other people's tuition?

What's this "inequality" they speak of?  Organizations that look out for the interests of certain students of a specific race or religion?  Black only scholarships? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Terrible .... plus I don't really want free college in general.... We had a similar deal at a community college (for all county recent grads..not just one ethic group) and the result was awful .... We had people signing up for classes (since it was free) and then come a few weeks and disappear.... Not really what you want in a classroom and not that interested... but they signed up because it cost them zero.  Didn't them long to figure out it wasn't HS 2.0.    Students (except high achieving ones on scholarship) need to have some money on the table or they don't appreciate it and are less likely to try or do well. .  They just took up space and cost the college money. 

• Upvote 4

"The resolution aims to send a message to the university that it should acknowledge slavery is 'a debt that will never be paid.'"

WKU wasn't founded until 1906, about four decades after the end of the Civil War.  So, WKU had nothing to do with slavery.  

I honestly think that many student don't know that slavery in the United States ended in 1865.  

• Upvote 2

Agree Rudy ..... ( In the past I had a few in class) Those that are 65+ old may have some complaint.... but not younger blacks... When I graduated from HS (early 60's) they were prohibited from attending any SWC, SEC, or ACC college and many others... In fact when i was a grad student at TTU in 1968 there were no black athletes there or at  many other Southern/Southwestern colleges ...But those times are gone.... Today .. they have little complaint coming... none now about  being admitted etc. at a college. The civil rights bills of the late 60's and early 70's changed everything for racial minorities and women. Women also have jobs now that were barely or not available to them then. --- People who did not live through the 50's and even the 60's don't understand now things were then.... things have changed ... they have no real big complaints now.... Many other groups have had their bad times also ... If they had a German name or spoke German ( my family did) they were not trusted in WWI era and that is when many stopped speaking German.. Lots of Irish, Polish, etc.  jokes out there from various eras.  

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, Rudy said:

Some people think that if you are white, you owe reperatiions, regardless if you had anything to do with slavery.

Yeah.  Well...

...start adding up all the money paid over the last six-plus decades into welfare, affirmative action, housing, WIC, scholarships, and other such programs too numerous to count.  Federal and state programs have spent trillions over the past six decades trying to help.

At some point, though, the culture has to change to respect academics, work, and just order in general. 

You'll note that African immigrants to the United States do not seem to have a problem getting an education, paying for it themselves or with a combination of the themselves, scholarships, and student loans.  American blacks are a different story. 

Slavery ended in 1865.  Plenty of money has been spent and is still being spent trying to help people.  What do we have?  Asian/Indian/MIddle Eastern immigrants and their children excelling because they study.  Black American and Hispanics gangbanging, though, are killing each other over Nikes, drugs, and pussy, baby mama-ing and dropping out of school.

It starts at home.  We've tried to give the money to stabilize the homes.  You can't go into the homes and live people's lives for them.   

The microcosm of it all, as stated before, is in my own family:
-White nephew is at University of Chicago about to finish his third year; kid sits and studies for hours, has had internships with the State Department almost every summer since his junior year of high school.  Doesn't waste time partying.

-Mexican nephew dropped out of SFA his second year.  He likes to sit around playing PS4 or watching Netflix.  Works a wing restaurant.  Hangs around smoking dope with his fellow loser friends when he doesn't have to be at work. 

Don't know what else to say about it.  Reparation yourself by studying and getting a decent job.  Then, helping your children to the same.  Generation after generation, like other races do. 

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

22 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Yeah.  Well...

...start adding up all the money paid over the last six-plus decades into welfare, affirmative action, housing, WIC, scholarships, and other such programs too numerous to count.  Federal and state programs have spent trillions over the past six decades trying to help.

we can only hope those programs are one day open to white people, huh? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

On 5/3/2017 at 2:03 PM, Censored by Laurie said:

we can only hope those programs are one day open to white people, huh? 

I got laid off after 9/11 when my daughter was 103 days old.  I got WIC, unemployment, medicaid, and state funded vocational training.  Thank the sweet baby Jeebus that I'm black. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I got laid off after 9/11 when my daughter was 103 days old.  I got WIC, unemployment, medicaid, and state funded vocational training.  Thank the sweet baby Jeebus that I'm black. 

You're white?  Thought you were Italian or something.....😂😂

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

And you used it the way it was meant to be used, as a temporary helping hand to make ends meet until you gained employment again. It's not supposed to be a way of life but sadly too many people are content living on handouts.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, GreenMachine said:

And you used it the way it was meant to be used, as a temporary helping hand to make ends meet until you gained employment again. It's not supposed to be a way of life but sadly too many people are content living on handouts.

To be fair, I did turn down employment that paid less than the benefits I was receiving a couple of times.  It didn't make economic sense, and I had a very young child with well child pediatrician visits to consider. Took me about nine months to find a job that would cover the rent and offer insurance. 

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

To be fair, I did turn down employment that paid less than the benefits I was receiving a couple of times.  It didn't make economic sense, and I had a very young child with well child pediatrician visits to consider. Took me about nine months to find a job that would cover the rent and offer insurance. 

cheating scoundrel!!!

On 5/5/2017 at 2:32 PM, oldguystudent said:

Again, you used the system as intended, to find suitable employment.  Too many become accustomed to living off the handouts of the government and then cry foul when they are called on their abuse of the system.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNTLifer said:

Again, you used the system as intended, to find suitable employment.  Too many become accustomed to living off the handouts of the government and then cry foul when they are called on their abuse of the system.

what do you figure the intended-use : abuse ratio looks like?  

from where did you get that data/make that inference? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

what do you figure the intended-use : abuse ratio looks like?  

from where did you get that data/make that inference? 

1. Don't know.

2. Personal observation, but here is an article.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carrielukas/2012/10/02/yes-america-your-fellow-citizens-do-abuse-federal-aid-programs/#6ee2c53e68a2

Do you possess conflicting information?  If so, please share.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1