Calling all Talons Alumni

agubriz23

**EDIT**

A word from the Talons Secratary:

"Good morning Talons,

Due to a very small number of alumni who are planning to attend the alumni dinner, April 8, it will be cancelled."

The Alumni dinner will be cancelled, so I apologize to those who had interest, but it will not happen. Although there still is the Spring Game on the 8th, and I'd encourage anyone who comes to stop by and meet with the Talons, whether we're with the Model A, in our section, and maybe even with the Cannon Crew if it is possible! 

So thanks to those who responded, we appreciate your interest, but apologize for this inconvenience.

I'm Proud to be a Talon,

Agustin

------------------------------------------------

Calling all Talons Alumni!

Hey y'all, my name is Agustin and I am a current member of Talons. Just to introduce myself a little, I am one of around 12 members of the Motorpool Committee (Taking care of that beautiful Model A) and I was one of the 23 torchbearers this past bonfire. Currently I am a Media Arts major while minoring in Music.

I am here to announce that Talons will be hosting an Alumni Dinner scheduled for April 8th at 4 right after the Green and White game! We really encourage any Talons alumni from any era to come out and meet up with fellow alumni as well as current members like me! The dinner will be held at the Alumni Pavilion [Northeast of Apogee Stadium] and will be $20 per person (Food provided by Verde Catering). Alcohol may be available for purchase at the dinner, and Talons merchandise will also be available for purchase! Attached below are a small flyer with basic information, the link to the Facebook event page, as well as the NT Alumni Event page you must use to pay and RSVP for the event!

You must RSVP by April 3rd through the NT Alumni link attached below!

Thank You, Go Mean Green, and I hope to see Y'all soon!

Agustin Brizuela

https://www.facebook.com/events/1493485610662968/

https://www.untalumni.com/TalonsReunion2016

Talons Alumni Flyer.pdf

Edited by agubriz23
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

You all are the group to get the Big Banner unveil between 3rd and 4th quarters this fall.  

1. Need to buy the banner

2. Need verbiage and graphic for the banner

3. Need to coordinate with band to transition away from their traditional 3rd quarter song - or perhaps make the unveiling between 1st and 2nd quarter or at some point.  it needs the band to participate for effect - see utsa between 3rd and 4th quarter and their banner "Come and Take It."

Sorry to hijack but while you all are gathering figure out how to become the spirit czar group with Wren backing and muscling up to the table to get even more awesome things going.

Great job guys and gals keep up the outstanding work!

GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, NM Green said:

You all are the group to get the Big Banner unveil between 3rd and 4th quarters this fall.  

3. Need to coordinate with band to transition away from their traditional 3rd quarter song - or perhaps make the unveiling between 1st and 2nd quarter or at some point.  it needs the band to participate for effect - see utsa between 3rd and 4th quarter and their banner "Come and Take It."

Sorry to hijack but while you all are gathering figure out how to become the spirit czar group with Wren backing and muscling up to the table to get even more awesome things going.

GMG

The Talons should be one of the elite organizations at NT, and in charge of all things involving spirit at NT. If there aren't any already, I think there should be some scholarships for the Talons. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, NM Green said:

GMG

A banner is something that we never really talked of or really thought of, other than talks of making/ using one for special events etc. But, I could bring up this idea to our Exec. Board, since we're always open to bringing in new ideas to implement in our section (I know bells were used back in the day). And thank you, we're always willing to work hard to make the spirit and traditions at the University strong.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, NM Green said:

GMG

What are the details of this "Big Banner?"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The banners I have seen that have a wow effect at staged points in the game look like this.  I've seen the BYU flag unfurl at a late stage timeout in the Marriott Center.  Last year at UTSA the student section unveiled a Come and Take It banner between the 3rd and 4th quarters.  This has to be choreographed and what impressed me about UTSA was that all of a sudden the Roadrunner mascot ran onto the field and stood on his logo with the come and take it flag.  He started waving it around as the music built and got stronger more powerful.  You could tell something was coming but as a first time visitor didn't know what. It finally crescendoed and the students started unveiling and shaking the Come and Take It banner in the student section behind the goalposts.  The student section was hopping up and down and it was impressive.  Almost giving the team and crowd a final "bring it home" build up.  I can't find anything on youtube or pics which is surprising because it is incredibly well done.  BYU's simply built up and then all of a sudden the banner appears then disappears.  You can find a snippet in the 48 second video on you tube titled: BYU ROC Student Section Highlight.

Of course you would probably want to try to coordinate it with the Green Brigade first but they are stuck on Hey Baby (uggghhhhh) or with the sound man and get some jaws or start wars or game of thrones music building and crushing through the system.  I would totally donate to a banner ritual.  What would our banner read:

1. Go Mean Green

2. Go Mean Green and SOW

3. Just the SOW

4. or my favorite to quote our famous alum DO YOU BELIEVE and SOW

I would contact the student spirit leaders at UTSA to get more details on how they execute this.  I've been to many college games across the land and good ole San Antonio did something that impressed me in person. GMG

Image result for student section banner

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

This is a tough audience. The young man comes here to invite Talon alumni to a reunion and in return, gets instructions about a banner, Hey Baby, and the Fight Song. 

Anybody else got something for him?

agree 100%.  I would have thought our Talons - which there are quite a few on here - would have been more welcoming.  @CMJ being the exception as his response was very supportive.

2 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

This is a tough audience. The young man comes here to invite Talon alumni to a reunion and in return, gets instructions about a banner, Hey Baby, and the Fight Song. 

The Talons telling the GB to stop playing "Hey Baby" would be the same as the GB telling the Talons to stop shooting Boomer after a touchdown.   Different organizations' traditions.  

The Talons have nothing to do with "Hey Baby"... just like they have nothing to do with "You'll Never Walk Alone" either.  Those are the GB's traditions.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm a huge Talons supporter and Alumni.  Part of their job is to create new traditions, and enhance spirit at the university.  These are things they can work on as part of their responsibilities.  I've don't think I've seen a negative response.

I'd love to be there for the alumni event, but I'm working.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

On 3/30/2017 at 10:56 PM, Rudy said:

Getting rid of the "M'fing" during the fight song would be pretty damn awesome, too.

Yes! This issue is something that Talons takes very seriously into consideration, it is something we all avoid collectively. There are times we say "That Spells" to replace "M'fing" so that it could distraught groups who say it, but in general we make sure to void from that problem... A solution another Talon brought up, was for all of us to start saying "Let's Go".

On 3/31/2017 at 11:54 AM, letsgiveacheer said:

I did not mind 100% of the time, for I do like see what few have to say. But like you stated, I did start this as an invitation for the Alumni event, although just to get this set in stone, there are some new changes coming soon as well as maybe implementing older traditions, etc.

But thank you letsgiveacheer, I appreciate your defense, and I think discussions about different implementations could be put into a different thread at some other time. I will communicate with our Exec. Board about a few things this week and I'll be back on different subjects.

• Upvote 4

On 3/30/2017 at 10:56 PM, Rudy said:

Getting rid of the "M'fing" during the fight song would be pretty damn awesome, too.

Personally, as a student, I support this. To my knowledge it only happens in the student section, so it helps to get everyone really fired up. I mean come on, we're college kids and we like to have a little fun.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

8 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Personally, as a student, I support this. To my knowledge it only happens in the student section, so it helps to get everyone really fired up. I mean come on, we're college kids and we like to have a little fun.

I do support the idea for the student section to get fired up, I know for us Talons and even the Green Brigade they tell us to avoid this more so to show more courtesy with the name of the University (Especially for being such big groups) for us its not that we want to abolish the student section from saying it, but more so to encourage the idea of being a more clean act. I do respect your opinion 100%, just giving a somewhat insider on to why it is something we address.

• Upvote 1

Cheers I wasn't scolding our talon leader for not doing something.  I'm just saying that as older alum we get a chance to see some cool sheet as our income rises and our jobs take us different places. This is not the forum but create one for cool spirit ideas.  The alum are not consistently asked for ideas for enhancement and as a trainer of five star experiences worldwide I just want to constantly push the envelope on what can be done.  Go talons and gmg!

• Upvote 1

On 4/1/2017 at 1:10 PM, AustinFromUNT said:

For reasons too many too list, I would love see this abolished from the student section.  But the number one reason is that it is disrespectful to our university.

• Upvote 1

On 4/1/2017 at 0:49 PM, agubriz23 said:

There are times we say "That Spells" to replace "M'fing" so that it could distraught groups who say it, but in general we make sure to void from that problem... 

I like the idea of drowning them out, but for the record, "U N T" does not spell "Eagles".

• Upvote 1