DRC: Monday practice notes and observations

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, edcollopy said:

it sounds like from the reports that we are throwing the ball more downfield?  Is that true or do they just get mentioned because they're big plays that stand out?

I would hope so. While the air raid is about getting the ball to players in space, a lot of that is pushing the field vertically as well. Which, IMO, we did not do enough of last year.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I would hope so. While the air raid is about getting the ball to players in space, a lot of that is pushing the field vertically as well. Which, IMO, we did not do enough of last year.

There was some opinion floating around that we did not have a consistent threat to do so.

I'm seeing a lot of new names come up in the reports.  I'm cautiously optimistic that someone will emerge.  I also think I read in Vito's reports that the QBs are getting better about connecting on 20+ yards out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Was not expecting anything from Michael Lawrence.   I don't think Vito has mentioned anyone more during Spring Practice though.

He reminds me of Kenny Buyers. He doesn't seem (to me anyway) to have blazing speed, but  he was wide open over the middle on the long TD pass he caught from Isadore. But the more impressive catch was a 20+ yarder he caught from Fine that was "over-the-shoulder-whilst-sliding-on-his-knees-and-wearing-a-DB-who-had-his-hand-on-the-ball".  I met his parents last year. They are really nice people.

Lots of similar receivers in  Kam Duhon (#27), Elijah McIntyre (#34), Braydon Watson (#39),  Dennis Smith (#84) and Deion Griffin (#82).....the fastest of the group.

1 hour ago, edcollopy said:

it sounds like from the reports that we are throwing the ball more downfield?  Is that true or do they just get mentioned because they're big plays that stand out?

They work a lot on the long ball, both in scrimmages and in their drills. They also work a lot on the corner fade. But it doesn't surprise me since this year seems like the tallest group of receivers I've ever seen here.

Rutherford (#2) 6-5

Rico Bussy (#8) 6-2

Jason Pertile (#88) 6-2

Quentin Jackson (#13) 6-3

Jalen Guyton (#9) 6-1......but he looks taller

Turner Smiley (#1) 6'

Add-in the very talented Kelvin Smith (#87) 6-2, and the becoming talented (not as good as K. Smith but he's gettin' there) Caleb Chumley (#15) 6-5, and our QB's have a lot of tall targets.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SilverEagle said:

He reminds me of Kenny Buyers. He doesn't seem (to me anyway) to have blazing speed, but  he was wide open over the middle on the long TD pass he caught from Isadore. But the more impressive catch was a 20+ yarder he caught from Fine that was "over-the-shoulder-whilst-sliding-on-his-knees-and-wearing-a-DB-who-had-his-hand-on-the-ball".  I met his parents last year. They are really nice people.

Lots of similar receivers in Ashton Preston (#27), Elijah McIntyre (#34), Braydon Watson (#39), and Dennis Smith (#84) and Deion Griffin (#82).....the fastest of the group.

They work a lot on the long ball, both in scrimmages and in their drills. They also work a lot on the corner fade. But it doesn't surprise me since this year seems like the tallest group of receivers I've ever seen here.

Rutherford (#2) 6-5

Rico Bussy (#8) 6-2

Jason Pertile (#88) 6-2

Quentin Jackson (#13) 6-3

Jalen Guyton (#9) 6-1......but he looks taller

Turner Smiley (#1) 6'

Add-in the very talented Kelvin Smith (#87) 6-2, and the becoming talented (not as good as K. Smith but he's gettin' there) Caleb Chumley (#15) 6-5, and our QB's have a lot of tall targets.

You mean Ashton Preston the DB? They switch him to WR?

• Upvote 1