FAU & Kiffin sued by coach

GTWT

20 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

As much as people dislike Kiffin, he didn't do anything wrong. I have extended an offer to a candidate before, HR did a background  check, and he was not able to be hired because of past credit issues. HR can't do the background check until an offer has been extended.

What about FAU/FL? Why would the lawyer represent the plaintiff unless he had a legit case?

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

@GreenMachine I guess lawyers don't really keep track of win-loss records.  The sports mind in me says why would you walk into something that you know you can't win?

I don't know if they do or not. I guess I was kind of thinking about ambulance chasers. I might have just been blowing smoke out of my arse.

I don't honestly think the case has all that much merrit in court. But FAU and Kiffin will be very unwilling to go to court and talk about it, as the tactic may be mostly legal, but it will still be a bad look toward potential recruits etc. So I assume they are chasing money via a deal, thinking that FAU and Kiffin will settle out of court in order not to have a media spectacle.

That is not to say that Kiffin didn't use the guy in a Kiffin doing Kiffin things way.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, GreenMachine said:

As much as people dislike Kiffin, he didn't do anything wrong. I have extended an offer to a candidate before, HR did a background  check, and he was not able to be hired because of past credit issues. HR can't do the background check until an offer has been extended.

Right. I have been hired by universities before. But I was never told to move and started working before everything was ok's by HR.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, GreenMachine said:

Coaching is a small, transparent profession.  I suspect Kiffin knew about Carter's past problems before offering him the position.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, GTWT said:

"Former Alabama wideout Antonio Carter is suing Lane Kiffin, Florida Atlantic and the state of Florida for fraud,"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2699434?iid=ob_article_organicsidebar_expansion

This shouldn't take long to crumble.  

On 3/22/2017 at 7:22 PM, GreenMachine said:

That doesn't make any sense. I used to assess/screen applicants for the state. The background check was always done as part of the application process. The offer/approval came after the background check was complete.......with no issues. And the applicant always knew that.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

The background check was always done as part of the application process. The offer/approval came after the background check was complete.......with no issues. And the applicant always knew that.

The order of things has changed slightly, at least in part because of the cost of through background check. Some organizations wait until a hiring manager says "this is the one" before they will do the full background check. If the candidate doesn't pass then the hiring manager is required to reopen to job search. It's less expensive for HR department to keep reopening the process. 

Still, telling an applicant to relocate and actually start working only to be later rejected is pretty rare. George O'Leary started and then it came out he'd lied on his resume. But I don't think that was caught in a background check - if anything Notre Dame didn't do a background check! 

14 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

That doesn't make any sense. I used to assess/screen applicants for the state. The background check was always done as part of the application process. The offer/approval came after the background check was complete.......with no issues. And the applicant always knew that.

Not in the mortgage industry.