North Texas’ new head coach Grant McCasland dishes on his Texas roots, style of play and his message to fans

Harry

Just a few hours after being introduced as North Texas’ new men’s basketball head coach, Grant McCasland sat down with members of the media one-on-one.

Sporting his new Mean Green colors and a smile on his face, he discussed the future of the program he is inheriting.

On interest in the North Texas job.

“Growing up in this area and in this state, North Texas was one university that had basketball success,” McCasland said. “I played tournaments at the Super Pit and watched several recruiting events at the Super Pit. I watched college games there. My knowledge was more of a fan. But you look at jobs down the road that fit something you would be interested in, I thought it would be a cool opportunity to coach basketball [at North Texas]. I never thought it would be a reality.”

On his Texas roots.

“This is home,” McCasland said. “This area is. There’s not a lot of opportunities to be a head coach and be this close to family. All of my immediate family is within an hour from here. That’s awesome. It’s unreal. My whole family was here today. That’s as good as it gets. That’s the way we want our program to be modeled after. People that love each other unconditionally but hold each other accountable and tell the truth. That atmosphere is what’s vital to being a successful basketball program.”

On Wren Baker and President Neal Smatresk’s leadership

“Ultimately it’s people who make the biggest difference,” McCasland said. “I think the leadership right now is as good as it gets for a basketball coach. It’s a unique opportunity to work for Smatresk, Baker and Jared Mosely. I’ve known Wren for a little while, but not really personally. He’s been at some great basketball institutions and he knows what it means to be successful. Smatresk, he knows basketball. He’s seen great basketball and we’ve had some great conversations as to what he envisions the program can be. He gave great insight and made me believe he knows what it takes to have a great basketball program.”

Read more: 

http://ntdaily.com/north-texas-new-head-coach-grant-mccasland-dishes-on-his-texas-roots-style-of-play-and-his-message-to-fans/