MGB: Details of McCasland's contract with UNT

Brett Vito

The whole "NT isn't willing to act like a big school" certainly doesn't apply here. This certainly sends a message that we are more willing than ever before to do what it takes to complete. I believe it when I read this contract makes him the second highest paid coach in CUSA. 

RIght now, we need to start winning more games! This contract shows we are putting the resources into making that possible. 

• Upvote 5

I am split, but mostly on an optimistic note. The fact that UNT is making a commitment is definitely a plus. And I guess this is a much smarter commitment than when RV extended McCarney at a high cost. That is because while extending Mac at the time made kind of sense upping his contract that much really didn't, given that there was no market for an aging coach with health problems (RV was essentially bidding against himself). For MG there is definitely a market, and if he is successful, some of that money just might come back from a P5.

That said 600k as a base likely means there is not that much in incentives (or if there is, then UNT is reaaally splurging). Also, if this thing goes unexpectedly south, we will almost definitely have to ride this one out.

One question I got is how WB got to have that much money to spend. Somebody must have made a big commitment. Was that just the Prez? Is that why WB went to visist with mattress mac?

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 6

I wonder what the buyout is on the other side?

If this guy's trajectory stays this way, and all goes as we hope, he won't make it through this contract, and we'd likely get that 500k back down the road (assuming we have a similar buyout amount).

Edited by MeanGreenDan
  • Upvote 1

One thing is for sure, he's a basketball coach; and, we had an opening there.  If nothing else, at least that position is now filled. 

Now, for the hard work of recruiting and coaching basketball players who are as capable and eager to win as those at traditional basketball powers, such as Middle Tennessee State. 

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

As an alumn and fan, ....we're so damn gun shy from being eaten alive with zero accountability around here historically, that when reading this quote it nearly made me well up in tears.  I pray it's an honest position and I think it truly is.

Rick

So true.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

As an alumn and fan, ....we're so damn gun shy from being eaten alive with zero accountability around here historically, that when reading this quote it nearly made me well up in tears.  I pray it's an honest position and I think it truly is.

Rick

Music to my ears!

7 hours ago, outoftown said:

One question I got is how WB got to have that much money to spend. Somebody must have made a big commitment. Was that just the Prez? Is that why WB went to visist with mattress mac?

I do think that is a question that is worth asking, but a question that we will likely never get a real answer possibly. WB and the staff would most likely say that they raised that $ even if it came from the UNT Budget or AD Budget, and if it came from a donor then we will likely never know who.

But it does give me hope, and should give us all hope that if it is true that donors pitched in on this. Also, it just shows ineffective and out of tune RV was compared to WB, Mosley and Peek when it comes to getting $ donated to the program. WB as @FirefightnRick quoted is serious and even said that buying someone out was not going to be a problem. That quote alone should give everyone who doubted WB hope, and it should show that WB has a lot of influence and back from NS if it did come from the school as well.

And if it was Mattress Mac, I'm hoping that UNT talked to whoever is running the new Convention Center/ Hotel that is going up into buying from Mattress Mac. Along with them using him to furnish the school as well.

2 hours ago, NM Green said:

I'm excited to buy season tickets for the very first time and visit the Superpit for the first time in years!  

Welcome Coach and GMG

I even saw a few Baylor fans that live in the Denton area saying on twitter they are buying Season Tickets because of GM...

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Hell, I don't even attend basketball games.  Too far away.  But I may buy season tickets to basketball just to support the program.  I'll just give them away on GoMeanGreen.com!

I am thinking the same thing.  I'll just put my tickets up to the first taker when I can't make it to Denton.

• Upvote 2