Grant McCasland is New UNT Basketball Coach

32 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I will take a stab at a quick comparison of a potentially meaningless stat:

Benford record as head coach prior to UNT:  0 - 0

McCasland record as head coach prior to UNT:  220 - 54

But....but....Benford was an assistant at "big time" Marquette of the Big East conference!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Not true!  Wren baker has done nothing, NOTHING, since being hired.  There is simply NO WAY North Texas would pay for a buyout, and there is even less chance that a current head coach would come to this "coach graveyard."  

I simply won't believe it...if this is true then we are quickly running out of things to bitch incessantly about, and I can't have that

So true.  RV Jr., as I have come to call WB, is just here to carrying on the long tradition of smoozing 15-20 influential alums, sell big dreams with no idea how to deliver, collect a paycheck and retire to fast food heaven. (Heavy sarcasm)

Image result for The WB frog

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 12
  • Downvote 10

1 minute ago, DeepGreen said:

But....but....Benford was an assistant at "big time" Marquette of the Big East conference!

What is it Phil? "If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we always have our basketball team in the the Tourney. 

That was fast I was expecting another couple weeks, 

My cynical view of this is that Ark. St. will take the 500K buyout money and hire some "up and coming" star for a fraction of what we payed McCasland. The good news is that this guy knows Texas and has (in theory) lots of connections here.

The potential bad news is that, even though this guy knows OF North Texas, he still doesn't have a clue about us and our culture...... and how he can talk great players into coming here.

I certainly hope I'm wrong.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

Just now, SilverEagle said:

My cynical view of this is that Ark. St. will take the 500K buyout money and hire some "up and coming" star for a fraction of what we payed McCasland. The good news is that this guy knows Texas and has (in theory) lots of connections here.

The potential bad news is that, even though this guy know OF North Texas, he still doesn't have a clue about us and our culture...... and how he can talk great players into coming here.

With how solid the AD is up at Jonesboro, that would not surprise me. They are moving in a great direction right now and have the town firmly behind them as well as their alumni, Good things going on in NE Arkansas.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

15 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

The potential bad news is that, even though this guy knows OF North Texas, he still doesn't have a clue about us and our culture...... and how he can talk great players into coming here.

It isnt football. They had John Brady before that.

Would anyone be shocked to see Johnny Jones show up at ASU?

• Upvote 1

To view this email as a web page, go here.
66a3327c-eb8a-4502-91c9-e45cb76505c8.jpg
March 13, 2017
Dear Mean Green Family,

I am writing today to inform you that we have found the next head coach for your Mean Green men’s basketball program. It is with great excitement that I announce that Coach Grant McCasland will be the 18th Head Men’s Basketball Coach in our history. 
As you are a loyal supporter of the program, I wanted to share this information with you first. 

Coach McCasland is an 18-year coaching veteran and arrives at North Texas after leading Arkansas State to a 20-win season for only the fourth time in ASU history. McCasland’s career winning percentage is an eye-popping 80 percent. The 20-12 record during his inaugural season at ASU is a 10-win improvement, which is the second-best turnaround in NCAA Division I basketball this year. 

The press release with more information on Coach McCasland is available on MeanGreenSports.com. We would love for you to join us next week on Tuesday, March 21st at noon in The Union as we welcome Coach to campus. Let’s give Coach McCasland and his family a warm welcome to the Mean Green family.  

The future of North Texas Basketball is bright.  

Please share this great news with all basketball fans across the region.  Together, we will light the tower and work relentlessly to bring men’s basketball championships back to UNT.

Thank you as always for your continued support.

North Texas We Love,
fe40bbf5-2fb4-491d-bc4b-a4cf3fb02399.jpg
Vice President & Director of Athletics
Facebook
Twitter

open.aspx?ffcb10-fe8b1575776d0d7577-fde8open.aspx?ffcb10-fe8b1575776d0d7577-fde8

3 minutes ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

Nice hire.

But with any level of success, don't expect him to him to be here long 

So your more in favor of hiring coaches in the mid to late 50s who are looking for a retirement gig. You must have loved McCarney. 

1 minute ago, emmitt01 said:

And EVERY real mean green fan would be ok with that...never understood how the prospect of a guy elevating our program is seen as a drawback

Preach!

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 6

On all levels this is a nice hire. I hope Coach McCasland can bring the same kind excitement to UNT that SMU and TCU are having with there Basketball program right now. Just think, Next year Baylor and UNT in the Tourney....... Meeting in the Sweet 16 (hope.....hope.....hope.....hope)

Maybe some more UNT love on the Ticket!

Edited by rhaprez03-04
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

And EVERY real mean green fan would be ok with that...never understood how the prospect of a guy elevating our program is seen as a drawback

BINGO!!! If he wins a ton and a big school picks him up. Kudos to him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1