Sense of finality at UNT as hit Chapel Hill's Tucker

Harry

DENTON - Barring something completely unforeseen, this will be Andrew Tucker’s last experience with spring football at North Texas.

And that’s something the Chapel Hill product doesn’t take lightly.

“I’ve just got to make sure that I calm down and give it everything I got because I know I’m going to miss it,” said Tucker, a redshirt senior running back. “Going into the fall, I’m going to do a little bit of extra work with my boys. It’s my last spring but I’ve still got a lot of springs left (in my life).”

Last fall, Tucker appeared in 11 games for UNT and ran for 153 yards and two touchdowns. The seasoned upperclassman also scored another touchdown on a blocked punt return. At times in 2016, he shared the Mean Green backfield with another East Texas product, Jeffrey Wilson of Elkhart, who led UNT with 936 rushing yards last season.

And even though they play the same position and are both seniors, there is no competition between Tucker and Wilson. Instead, it’s quite the opposite.

“We came from the same area. We were all born and raised the same way, so we know the area, which is just surrounded by trees,” Tucker said. “We ride horses and do the country boy stuff like wear cowboy boots. We’re both hard-working guys, having fun out here, grinding, making each other work.”

Tucker might not get the repetitions and carries that Wilson does in practice or in games, but second-year UNT head coach Seth Littrell knows Tucker’s greatest value within the program lies in his ability to be one of the Mean Green’s strongest leaders.

read more:

http://www.etfinalscore.com/ET-Football/274536/sense-of-finality-at-unt-as-hit-chapel-hills-tucker

3 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Tucker really seems to do well when healthy and given the ball. I hope he can earn the primary backup role this year.

I do too, but I think that role will likely go to Smith.

Good to know that he's available as depth if something happens to either Wilson or Smith.  I trust him with the ball when he's healthy... way more than I trust Wyche.

8 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I do too, but I think that role will likely go to Smith.

Good to know that he's available as depth if something happens to either Wilson or Smith.  I trust him with the ball when he's healthy... way more than I trust Wyche.

Probably, but that is why I said "earn." I hope he proves himself too valuable to keep in reserve. Been around the program a long time and if I remember correctly moved around from O to D a couple times.