MBB Candidate could be Ray Harper

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

To expand on my post above, I hope our finalists are Harper and McCasland.

Yes, let's expand more on the garbage tweet that pre-dates the other one. Been looking for some fresh new takes on Fran and Scott Cross as we live in a magic bubble where only these two, Benford and JJ exist as options for poor little UNT. Harper would be fine, but really don't understand why everyone is so willing to just zero in and go with things based on the sparest info imaginable.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

You follow a loser and never want anything bettter.

I'm the irrational one? 

On the first sentence, yes I follow NT but no I do want them to do better. 

On the second, yes. Back in 2013 another poster and I joked about the over/under for how many posts it would take for UNT90 to change any thread to "Tony Bedford must be fired." Eventually that became "RV must be fired" and finally devolved to "Smatresk and everyone else with decision making authority at NT" hate all athletics and probably should be fired. Thousands of posts over five years combined with a refusal to consider any of the changes Baker has made as anything but "minor" mean, yes, you are at least a little irrational on this subject. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Please tell me someone here uses Netscape Navigator.

Xmosaic for Unix. 

2 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Johnny Oates. Let's discuss.

Pros? Texas ties. Known name. Proven winner. Lots of head coach experience.

Cons? No college experience. Never coached basketball. Died of cancer over 12 years ago. 

Thoughts? 

A big name that we could certainly afford. We'd have to get some strong assistant coaches to take up the slack as I don't think he'd do a lot of the day to day work. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Cons? No college experience. Never coached basketball. Died of cancer over 12 years ago. 

Thoughts? 

Worthless to even discuss this guy until we hear he's a viable candidate for the job from @Coaching Changes.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

A big name that we could certainly afford. We'd have to get some strong assistant coaches to take up the slack as I don't think he'd do a lot of the day to day work. 

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Worthless to even discuss this guy until we hear he's a viable candidate for the job from @Coaching Changes.

Good points, good points. Some great serious sports talk here. I feel like this is a really worthwhile use of our time and attention. 

Just spitballing here, but an outside-the-box name to consider... What about Big Bird?

+ He's good with kids.

+ As the cliche goes... You can't teach height, and he's definitely got it. 

- Fictional.

- No thumbs. Can he teach fundamentals?

What do we think? Big Bird: yea or nay?

3 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Good points, good points. Some great serious sports talk here. I feel like this is a really worthwhile use of our time and attention. 

Just spitballing here, but an outside-the-box name to consider... What about Big Bird?

+ He's good with kids.

- Fictional.

Maybe as an assistant in charge of centers. Big Bird certainly has height. 

But if you're talking PBS characters, Barney has basketball experience. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

+ He's good with kids.

- Fictional.

Going to be difficult for him to pack 4 suits for a conference tourney.  Shoes alone will put his bag over the weight limit.

The last time he was relevant to recruits was when they were 2-4 years old.

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Thoughts? 

Still better than Benford...

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, Green P1 said:

I've got a somewhat healthy fern growing on the back porch.  I've only recently begun evaluating its ability to coach but Ima get my Wren on and I'll let y'all know in 5 or 6 months. 

I'd feel more comfortable with the fern as a well paid assistant. No disrespect to your gardening. 

Here's another idea I had:

SNES_NBA_JAM_TOURNAMENT_EDITION_M.jpg

The Instruction Manual from my old copy of NBA Jam Tournament Edition for Super Nintendo.

Positives: It literally breaks down in specific detail how to play successful basketball in a way that young kids can easily understand and incorporate. And it has been as close to "the game" as anyone can possibly be for over two decades. 

Negatives: Can today's players relate to the used instruction manual for a video game made in 1994, when incoming recruits weren't born until 1998 or 1999? Will NBA video game coaching philosophies from the early 90s still work in the modern college game? What sort of assistants will it bring along? Am I sure which box it's in over in my mom and dad's attic? 

What do you guys think: used video game instructions for our next head coach... Thumbs up or down? 

I should probably add that compliance would need to be vigilant to make sure (potential) Coach Used Video Game Instructions didn't rely on cheat codes to bring in high profile recruits like P-Funk or Air Dog. 

And we'd need to stop our sharpshooters from hitting 3 straight baskets, or they might spontaneously combust and die in flames on the court. 

Other than that, any red flags? 

13 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I'd feel more comfortable with the fern as a well paid assistant. No disrespect to your gardening. 

The Instruction Manual from my old copy of NBA Jam Tournament Edition for Super Nintendo.

Positives: It literally breaks down in specific detail how to play successful basketball in a way that young kids can easily understand and incorporate. And it has been as close to "the game" as anyone can possibly be for over two decades. 

Negatives: Can today's players relate to the used instruction manual for a video game made in 1994, when incoming recruits weren't born until 1998 or 1999? Will NBA video game coaching philosophies from the early 90s still work in the modern college game? What sort of assistants will it bring along? Am I sure which box it's in over in my mom and dad's attic? 

What do you guys think: used video game instructions for our next head coach... Thumbs up or down? 

I should probably add that compliance would need to be vigilant to make sure (potential) Coach Used Video Game Instructions didn't rely on cheat codes to bring in high profile recruits like P-Funk or Air Dog. 

And we'd need to stop our sharpshooters from hitting 3 straight baskets, or they might spontaneously combust and die in flames on the court. 

Were you not around when McCarney was here?
The Instruction Manual from your old copy of NBA Jam Tournament Edition for Super Nintendo says the same things over & over.   Once you've heard the spiel once, it becomes loathsome.  If you're tired of hearing about Iowa/why not North Texas/Grey Goose curing strokes/etc...   How much more tired would you be of "B button = Shoot (offense) / Block (defense)"?

Put me in the camp of being staunchly against this retread.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I got enough undisciplined street ball when JJ was here, thank you very much. Plus, if we're ever up 2 and need to intentionally foul the other team late to preserve the win, how do we know our coach can keep the opponent from side-stepping the defenders hands and dunking 26 ft. from a standstill? Give me the fundamentals of Double Dribble if we're going down this ridiculous path. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, Quoner said:

Let's stop the 90 fighting and focus on someone using Bing to do a search here in the year of our lord two thousand and seventeen. Was Ask Jeeves down?

I have found the Library to be a good source of info on coach searches etc.  Back issues of SI are particularly valuable, however, the swimsuit addition is not as enlightening.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, Quoner said:

I got enough undisciplined street ball when JJ was here, thank you very much. Plus, if we're ever up 2 and need to intentionally foul the other team late to preserve the win, how do we know our coach can keep the opponent from side-stepping the defenders hands and dunking 26 ft. from a standstill? Give me the fundamentals of Double Dribble if we're going down this ridiculous path. 

I'm skeptical as well... But before we write this off we need to know if the torn out magazine page with cheat codes might come along as a top assistant. If we're talking always on fire, Bill Clinton, full turbo, or access to the Timberwolf.... I'm very interested. 

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/9/2017 at 5:34 PM, UNT90 said:

Go Horned Frog Basketball!!!

Sorry about those horny toads. One of my father's often-used phrases in similar circumstances was "The dog that shits fast...don't shit long!". They must have let the big Kansas win go to their heads.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Guys. Guys. You're thinking too small. 

What about, hear me out:

Tex Watson

image.jpeg.0fb60653a4f8b70fba1303dd203cf4f1.jpeg

Pros: Not only Texas ties, but the man is a North Texas alumni.

-We know he's a good shot, maybe it'll rub off on our player's free throw shootings.

Cons: Currently incarcerated for life for the Manson murders.

thoughts? 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1