MBB Candidate could be Ray Harper

7 minutes ago, jdennis82 said:

Harper had rough exits from both Kentucky Wesleyan & WKU.  If this is the hire, I expect to hear Wren speak at length about fully vetting out these issues and implementing procedures to make sure our program doesn't get wrapped up in similar controversy.

This is a big hire for Wren...more important than getting it right on the court is making sure not to get it it wrong off the court.

Ok. Feels like there is part of this story missing. They paid him 125k for the remaining contract, saying he resigned. There is definitely something missing from this story, where the school either did not want to say what Harper did, or Harper did not want to say with what he was unhappy. Also unclear what did students were heard for. Ar there any topper fans reading this board who could elucidate what happened?

• Upvote 1

I think if there's one thing we learned from football, where current head coach Doug Meacham beat out interviewee Mark Mangino to get our job.... It's that randos on twitter are never wrong. 

There's no way a coach live in the tournament has a "done" deal for a mid major rebuild. None. Because even if one side thinks so (and I doubt it) right now, watch how fast it gets undone with an NCAA upset or a strong showing. 

Even if Baker is after Harper, and even if Harper is interested, and even if the search firm has contacted his agent... There's no way this is "done" at this point. So... Take some deep breaths before we litigate the pros and cons of the guy. 

8 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I think if there's one thing we learned from football, where current head coach Doug Meacham beat out interviewee Mark Mangino to get our job.... It's that randos on twitter are never wrong. 

There's no way a coach live in the tournament has a "done" deal for a mid major rebuild. None. Because even if one side thinks so (and I doubt it) right now, watch how fast it gets undone with an NCAA upset or a strong showing. 

Even if Baker is after Harper, and even if Harper is interested, and even if the search firm has contacted his agent... There's no way this is "done" at this point. So... Take some deep breaths before we litigate the pros and cons of the guy. 

Exactly what I thought when I was made aware of the tweet.  There might be some groundwork laid but what if he pulls off the first 16v1 win?  I just heard another rumor of Kermit to LSU and Ray to Middle.  That'd be my nightmare scenario.

If ya'll do pick up Ray I'll give you the rundown on him.  He was let go/resigned by a President that never wanted him and an AD that didn't hire him.  If the problem hadn't happened with the 3 players this would have been his last year as he was set up with a shittty schedule by the AD that boomeranged and kicked Stansbury in the nuts.  

Here's a fun fact:  Ray is dancing with Jacksonville State.  His main recruiter last year, Shawn Forrest is dancing with SMU (not legal yet but come on) and another assistant Chris Shumate is at NKU which is dancing for the first time ever.  In my mind I picture all three of them flipping those Johnny Cash duo single middles at our administration.   And laughing.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I think everyone is aware it is a rumor at this point

2 hours ago, Harry said:

There is a connection here as I believe The Wren and Harper coached in the same league when The Wren was coaching at Rogers.

im interested to hear @TheTastyGreek and @Cooley etc have to say on this possibility.

Has a track record of hitting Argyle hard. In fact, offered many D/FW kids.  Was surprised Caden Dickenson ended up at W Kentucky.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (Sun Belt Conference) (2012–2014)
2011–12 Western Kentucky 11–8[9] 6–7[9] 3rd (East)[10] NCAA 2nd Round[11]
2012–13 Western Kentucky 20–15 10–10 4th (East)[12] NCAA 2nd Round[13]
2013–14 Western Kentucky 21–11 12–6 2nd  
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (Conference USA) (2014–2016)
2014–15 Western Kentucky 20–12 12–6 T–4th  
2015–16 Western Kentucky 18–16 8–10 8th  
Western Kentucky: 90–62 (.592) 48–39 (.552)

His worst complete year was 18-16. You mean to tell me NT fans wouldn't be OK with that?

???????

So your stated goal for UNT basketball is .500 or VERY slightly above? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 18

18 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

???????

I don't know what you are seeing. I see a guy who has made the NCAA tournament 3 times in 6 years as a DI head coach and has his guys ready when it counts, plus has lots of success at lower levels. I would not be worried about that. I would rather wonder about the unclear circumstances of his departure at WKU.

• Upvote 6

I personally think Ray Harper would be a great hire and here's why:

1. We have regressed significantly over the last 5 years and we desperately need a coach that is proven. Even if he's only here for a short period of time.

2. He's hungry and probably has a chip on his shoulder due to the way things ended at WKU.

3. He has a history of bringing in quality assistants to help recruit.

• Upvote 5

52 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

???????

I would be curious if you had a top 3 or 5 wishlist.  Not metrics.  Names.

I find your point, which I think is valid, somewhat revealing though.  By most opinions, a 20-win season and an NCAA berth is success.  Yet, here we are, splitting hairs about a guy that does it pretty regularly.  For the record, I want regular conference titles, too (which this guy couldn't do in CUSA)

Also, I'm sooo tired of the "locker room cancer" excuses.  I'm pretty sure all of us are.  But I can't discount what may/not have happened behind doors those last two WKU years.  Apparently it was pretty ugly in those offices.

Just looking purely at his numbers, I can imagine why this is very polarizing in the same ways that JJ is/was in Denton.  I've stated my peace.  Not really any reason to get into this until after Harper's post season is over.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I would be curious if you had a top 3 or 5 wishlist.  Not metrics.  Names.

I find your point, which I think is valid, somewhat revealing though.  By most opinions, a 20-win season and an NCAA berth is success.  Yet, here we are, splitting hairs about a guy that does it pretty regularly.  For the record, I want regular conference titles, too (which this guy couldn't do in CUSA)

Also, I'm sooo tired of the "locker room cancer" excuses.  I'm pretty sure all of us are.  But I can't discount what may/not have happened behind doors those last two WKU years.  Apparently it was pretty ugly in those offices.

Just looking purely at his numbers, I can imagine why this is very polarizing in the same ways that JJ is/was in Denton.  I've stated my peace.  Not really any reason to get into this until after Harper's post season is over.

I think Harper is a decent candidate. That comment was aimed at 23's lofty goal of .500 basketball.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

55 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

What is your standard? You don't realistically believe we should hold out for a Sam Burton level winning percentage do you?

Consistent 20 win seasons and challenging for conference championships every year. Going to the NCAA or NIT most years. 

Unless you forgot how it was before Benford and have just excepted the new normal. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

On 3/7/2017 at 2:11 AM, SilverEagle said:

Hmm, seems like I've mentioned that from time to time. 

Someone mentioned that Cross might not be interested in the job because he hasn't had to compete with a football program. If he is a good candidate to move up in the basketball world, he's more than likely going to have to deal with that anyway. I think our athletic culture (or the lack thereof) would be more of a deterrence to his being interested in the job than anything else. 

What's Dave Bliss or Billy Tubbs doing these days?

Silver, I remember Billy Tubbs from his time in Denton as an assistant for Blakeley, but I think he's had his run, brilliant as it was.  But Dave Bliss?  Even though I have thought maybe, hell just give up basketball if we're treating it like a bad joke, there would be hell to pay in Denton for the kind of shit storms Bliss brings, minor blips though they were at Baylor and SMU.

And that's just taking the narrow view.  I'm no goody two shoes, but you don't have a problem with someone who, in the middle of a murder investigation involving his players, concocts a fake story of a drug dealing scheme to cover up illegal payments to them?  Maybe you're joking; I hope so.  And nothing against a 70 something year old, from one soon to be, just against this one.  So, take your pick; evil or insane, bullet or poison:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25141475/the-return-of-dave-bliss-to-college-coaching-shouldnt-matter-too-much

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/northeast-tarrant/article99189902.html

Edited by eulessismore

7 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Harper would be a average to above average hire.

Problem is TCU and SMU killed it with their 2 recent hires...

So true.

I think most of the fan base would be okay with Harper, bc of his pretty good winning % and getting teams in the tournament. We could do a lot worse than Harper with a guy like Fran or Paul Hewitt.

But I agree with you that Harper isnt the type of guy who could turn UNT into a CUSA power. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, UNT90 said:

???????

13 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Harper would be a average to above average hire.

Problem is TCU and SMU killed it with their 2 recent hires...

Jankovich had a .564 winning percentage as a head coach and no NCAA appearances. 

Harper has two (now 3) NCAA appearances and a .592 winning percentage (actually higher if you count this year) in a shorter time period coaching D1.

In your world Jankovich was a killer hire and Harper is average to above. 

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 7