MBB Candidate could be Ray Harper

13 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I think if there's one thing we learned from football, where current head coach Doug Meacham beat out interviewee Mark Mangino to get our job.... It's that randos on twitter are never wrong. 

There's no way a coach live in the tournament has a "done" deal for a mid major rebuild. None. Because even if one side thinks so (and I doubt it) right now, watch how fast it gets undone with an NCAA upset or a strong showing. 

Even if Baker is after Harper, and even if Harper is interested, and even if the search firm has contacted his agent... There's no way this is "done" at this point. So... Take some deep breaths before we litigate the pros and cons of the guy. 

I like to disagree with you on everything you post but you are 100% spot on about this. Absolutely no way this is close to being a done deal.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I tend to trust TTG and dahbeed on this. Harper would be a really nice hire, but better places will hire him most likely. Middle Tennessee makes a lot of sense for him, if Kermit gets hired at LSU.

Agreed. I think Steve Forbes from East Tennessee State would be a possible option for us.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

33 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I tend to trust TTG and dahbeed on this. Harper would be a really nice hire, but better places will hire him most likely. Middle Tennessee makes a lot of sense for him, if Kermit gets hired at LSU.

LSU will go after a bigger name with about $2m a year.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Mischaracterize much?

Not at all... 

You said and proven it,  that you wanted TB gone, and that you would have been happy making the Conference Tourny... 

Harper is someone who has been to multiple NCAA Tourneys, in this conference and is someone that can be had.. Others that UNT would appear interested in you have agreed they would be welcomed hires, but most likely wouldn't jump at coming to UNT. While Harper isn't the sexiest hire, neither was SL and alot of people outside of TX have taken notice of what SL did. 

Yes we would all love to land a Larry Brown, but I doubt that WB can pull the money together to pay someone what brown was making at SMU (reportly 2.6 Million, http://www.bing.com/search?FORM=U312DF&PC=U312&q=larry+brown+smu+salary).... Its going to be even harder with fans, such as yourself that have gone on the record saying he will buy and support TCU MBB. 

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Its going to be even harder with fans, such as yourself that have gone on the record saying he will buy and support TCU MBB. 

Speaking of which, I see those horny toads knocked off Kansas today. No toad lover here, but you have to admire how they were able to get it done.

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Not at all... 

You said and proven it,  that you wanted TB gone, and that you would have been happy making the Conference Tourny... 

Harper is someone who has been to multiple NCAA Tourneys, in this conference and is someone that can be had.. Others that UNT would appear interested in you have agreed they would be welcomed hires, but most likely wouldn't jump at coming to UNT. While Harper isn't the sexiest hire, neither was SL and alot of people outside of TX have taken notice of what SL did. 

Yes we would all love to land a Larry Brown, but I doubt that WB can pull the money together to pay someone what brown was making at SMU (reportly 2.6 Million, http://www.bing.com/search?FORM=U312DF&PC=U312&q=larry+brown+smu+salary).... Its going to be even harder with fans, such as yourself that have gone on the record saying he will buy and support TCU MBB. 

Well, too bad. UNT did this, not me. They could have fired Benford after year 1, 2, 3, 4, or during year 5 and kept my basketball fandom. THEY didn't and they lost it forever because of what THEY did. 

Do they care? No, because they have never cared about the fans of this program and proved it to me personally in spades this basketball season. THEY were perfectly willing to let this program go winless in conference. That was THEIR decision. Mine is to walk the F away.

I like college basketball, and TCU is convenient, so tickets just make sense. Plus I get a HUGE upgrade in the level of basketball for $130 more a season. Not too shabby.

Look, your a young fan who will at some time reach the point I'm at, that is if you care about winning. A lot of people have walked away throughout the years. People on here want to blame the fan. It isn't the fans' fault. They have been driven away by terrible administrative decisions. You think improvements are right around the corner. I don't have that faith anymore because I've seen about 4 "right around the corners" in my 9 years of re-association with this thing. 

And just realize that you and most of the others that criticize me on here haven't dumped near the amount of money into this disaster as I have. Doesn't make you less of a fan, but by definition it makes you less invested. Loving something unconditionally that you have no financial commitment to isnt hard. Remember that next time you want to criticize where I spend MY money/

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 16

10 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Jankovich had a .564 winning percentage as a head coach and no NCAA appearances. 

Harper has two (now 3) NCAA appearances and a .592 winning percentage (actually higher if you count this year) in a shorter time period coaching D1.

In your world Jankovich was a killer hire and Harper is average to above. 

Larry Brown was the killer hire. He got SMU over the top. All Jank had to do is maintain it.

And if SMU has a deep NCAA run, he can build on it.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Well, too bad. UNT did this, not me. They could have fired Benford after year 1, 2, 3, 4, or during year 5 and kept my basketball fandom. THEY didn't and they lost it forever because of what THEY did. 

Do they care? No, because they have never cared about the fans of this program and proved it to me personally in spades this basketball season. THEY were perfectly willing to let this program go winless in conference. That was THEIR decision. Mine is to walk the F away.

I like college basketball, and TCU is convenient, so tickets just make sense. Plus I get a HUGE upgrade in the level of basketball for $130 more a season. Not too shabby.

Look, your a young fan who will at some time reach the point I'm at, that is if you care about winning. A lot of people have walked away throughout the years. People on here want to blame the fan. It isn't the fans' fault. They have been driven away by terrible administrative decisions. You think improvements are right around the corner. I don't have that faith anymore because I've seen about 4 "right around the corners" in my 9 years of re-association with this thing. 

And just realize that you and most of the others that criticize me on here haven't dumped near the amount of money into this disaster as I have. Doesn't make you less of a fan, but by definition it makes you less invested. Loving something unconditionally that you have no financial commitment to isnt hard. Remember that next time you want to criticize where I spend MY money/

How can we be less invested in the team, you have sold out and moved onto TCU...

Any of us having just a bit of faith in UNT has more invested... You may have had more in the past invested, but you have already moved on... 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 4

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

You sure don't move very fast.  Something tells me you will be like Alec Baldwin, just hollow promises.  Do us all a favor and join FrogFans.com or whatever they call it.

I wish nearly every thread didn't devolve into an argument with UNT90 on how badly every person in a decision making position at NT has personally chosen to betray him. After thousands of posts over four plus years, we already KNOW this. It is now painfully obvious to everyone nothing Baker or anyone else at NT will ever do in the future will please him in his irrational emotional state. 

On the actual subject of the thread, Ray Harper would be a great coach to approach once his NCAA run is complete. The rumor of his interest is good in that it shows Baker is once again correct, this time about current Division 1 coaches being interested in the opening at NT. Just remember, it's just a rumor! 

On the lighter side, I don't get to use the word "devolve" very often. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, cdizzle86 said:

I'm no expert on college basketball, but Fran was on the list the last time we were looking for a coach. He was also on the SMU list before they hired Brown. Why has this guy not taken or received a job offer yet?

Doesn't being listed as a coaching candidate that is in demand boost his credibility as a color guy on TV?

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Big Names:

Fraschilla: Hasn't coached a team since 01'-02'.  Leads me to question, why, with an overall winning percentage of .640 has he not coached in 15 years.

Hewitt: Interesting candidate.  Very up and down record as a coach with not a lot of sustained winning seasons.

Head Coaches:

Cross: Would he leave his alma mater for us?  He has been at UTA for almost 20 years.  My guess is he is happy where he is and would only move if an offer came from a P5 team.

McCasland: Really like this candidate although I am somewhat wary of anyone that coached under Scott Drew.  Something tells me Drew is dirty, and I would have bet the farm that Drew would have been the one to bring Baylor under investigation and not the football program.  Maybe I am wrong.  McCasland is from the area, Irving, and was at Midland College when I moved out here.  People out here spoke highly of him and he was very successful.

Asst. Coaches:

Lutz: No, been there, done that.  Not to knock Lutz, but I would like to see some success leading a program from our new coach.  Let him pass or fail elsewhere.

Henderson: More appealing to me than Lutz because of his incredible coaching record, but it is all on the HS level.  I still think I would rather have a coach with college HC experience.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

21 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Let's stop the 90 fighting and focus on someone using Bing to do a search here in the year of our lord two thousand and seventeen. Was Ask Jeeves down?

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 3