MBB Candidate could be Ray Harper

8 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Still would like to see Cross! 

Cross will have P5 offers. The time to hire him was 4 years ago.

Plus, he would most likely view this job as a career killing move now.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 9

My Baylor connections speak very highly of McCasland. But as Deep points out, he's only been at ASU for a year so there are a lot of dollars left on his contract. 

There will be more potential candidates available after the various conference tournaments. I also suspect Baker has been building a list for a while now. I am certain we will never know exactly who contacts NT and whom we contact. This is always a delicate dance involving agents and often consultants to keep confidentiality. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Cross will have P5 offers. The time to hire him was 4 years ago.

Plus, he would most likely view this job as a career killing move now.

You state this as it is fact but have no proof.  My sense is this job will have a LOT of interest.  

9 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

It might, but I agree with 90 with regard to Scott Cross.  He just received a contract extension through 2020 last spring.  An offer from a solid basketball school is likely on his horizon.  And even if not, he would probably better served to stay put with the winner he has built at UTA than to jump into the dumpster fire Benford has left in Denton.

Not to mention that Cross has the headline program at his school and wouldn't have that here. This is relatively small in comparison to your other points, but it's just one more reason for him to stay in Arlington rather than move to Denton.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Harry said:

You state this as it is fact but have no proof.  My sense is this job will have a LOT of interest.  

Are we going to hear the same negative comments about potential BB hire that we heard concerning a new FB coach and AD? Dead end job, not a step up, we are going to have to shoot low and when we do hire we will all be disappointed! I like Cross because he has done it with local  talent! We can offer $150 to $200 grand more and he can stay in his recruiting backyard! Now a big buyout could be a killer! As with Seth and Wren I think we will all be presently surprised by the hire! GMG 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Harry said:

A lot of interest from guys at a lower level, not from a successful coach who is coaching at his alma mater, which is a cut above UNT, and will have P5 offers after this season. 

Why in the hell would he come here after he watched from a ringside view this administration abandon the program and players for the last 4 years?

The Scott Cross ship sailed years ago. About the time the UNT basketball ship sailed.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 13

6 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

A lot of interest from guys at a lower level, not from a successful coach who is coaching at his alma mater, which is a cut above UNT, and will have P5 offers after this season. 

Why in the hell would he come here after he watched from a ringside view this administration abandon the program and players for the last 4 years?

The Scott Cross ship sailed years ago. About the time the UNT basketball ship sailed.

You are such a negative Nelly these days, man lets see what happens. 

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Are we going to hear the same negative comments about potential BB hire that we heard concerning a new FB coach and AD? Dead end job, not a step up, we are going to have to shoot low and when we do hire we will all be disappointed! I like Cross because he has done it with local  talent! We can offer $150 to $200 grand more and he can stay in his recruiting backyard! Now a big buyout could be a killer! As with Seth and Wren I think we will all be presently surprised by the hire! GMG 

There are substantially fewer FBS jobs (AD and football coach) than even just head coach jobs at a D1 basketball school.

48 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

You are such a negative Nelly these days, man lets see what happens. 

Outside of the negative, I think 90 is right about Cross and I think most observers would feel the same way regardless of how they feel about UNT or @UNT90

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

There are substantially fewer FBS jobs (AD and football coach) than even just head coach jobs at a D1 basketball school.

Outside of the negative, I think 90 is right about Cross and I think most observers would feel the same way regardless of how they feel about UNT or @UNT90

Agree.   Folks need to forget Cross.   He's primed for big things in his near future.  No need to come to UNT, which would likely be seen as a step down in the basketball community to rebuild a program when his is currently sitting atop the SBC without any sort of real challenge.

• Upvote 2