New Names on the Spring Roster

UNTLifer

Grayson Chouffet; DL, Prosper, TX http://www.hudl.com/profile/1745178/grayson-chouffet

Chad Hickson; OL, Denton (Guyer), TX: http://opsuaggies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1751

Marquel Jaskson; DB; Lancaster, TX: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/marquel-johnson/ppTMBRvIEeOZ5AAmVebBJg/default.htm

Chance Marshal; DB; Frisco (Centennial), TX: http://www.hudl.com/profile/3925627/chance-marshall

There are a few more, but these four were intriguing to me.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Grayson Chouffet; DL, Prosper, TX http://www.hudl.com/profile/1745178/grayson-chouffet

3 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

6'3" X 260 and a 4.9 forty........not bad. Does anyone know where this young man was last fall?

I like this kids tape. Goes till the end of the whistle, and finishes his blocks. Also has good feet as well. 

I have no idea where he was but he is a true freshman, so maybe he is a PWO or some type of grey-shirt without the scholarship?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Did he get lost at the Heart of Dallas Bowl and go home with the wrong team?

Service academy recruits don't actually sign a NLI since everyone who goes to a service academy already has their education paid for, and getting into the academy in the first place requires an entirely different process.

You'll notice that Army, Navy, and Air Force never have a signing day event or release recruit names.  That's because when signing day comes along the appointment process isn't finished.  If the sports recruits want, the academies will send them some certificate for them to sign so they can have a "signing day."

I have no idea what happened with this recruit, but maybe he just changed his mind about the commitment.  I don't know how the other academies handle it, but I know that at West Point you can leave at any time during your first two years.  If you leave on good terms, you owe them nothing.  You show up for the first day of junior year however and you are in the Army.  You owe them six years of service, and the least of your problems is that if you leave at that point they will go after you for the cost of your education.  

Edited by Cerebus

19 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Ah yes: the Spring. Time to get excited about walk-ons that never see the field or often even the fall semester.

I actually looked up film on the players I didn't recognize and these were the four that showed something.  Chouffet was the one that really stood out based on his film.  As someone mentioned above, he played OL at Prosper and played to the whistle just killing some of the DL's and LB's he was blocking.  I didn't find film on Hickson, but added him since he had good size and was from Guyer.  I love that we are adding these young men from the successful local high schools like Dillman, Davis, Schilleci, Hickson and LeBlanc.

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2017 at 9:23 AM, Cerebus said:

Service academy recruits don't actually sign a NLI since everyone who goes to a service academy already has their education paid for, and getting into the academy in the first place requires an entirely different process.

You'll notice that Army, Navy, and Air Force never have a signing day event or release recruit names.  That's because when signing day comes along the appointment process isn't finished.  If the sports recruits want, the academies will send them some certificate for them to sign so they can have a "signing day."

I have no idea what happened with this recruit, but maybe he just changed his mind about the commitment.  I don't know how the other academies handle it, but I know that at West Point you can leave at any time during your first two years.  If you leave on good terms, you owe them nothing.  You show up for the first day of junior year however and you are in the Army.  You owe them six years of service, and the least of your problems is that if you leave at that point they will go after you for the cost of your education.  

Leaving before you finish your 6 year commitment?  Wouldn't they be AWOL?  Not good.

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If he "plays a lot", I hope it's because he's the starter.    You know what they say... If you have more than 1 QB, you don't have a QB.

Fine will win this job.  I don't think anyone will outwork him.

Don't discount Izzy... He was been working hard coming back from his ACL..

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If he "plays a lot", I hope it's because he's the starter.    You know what they say... If you have more than 1 QB, you don't have a QB.

Fine will win this job.  I don't think anyone will outwork him.

At 6'3 211 lbs athletic with a rocket arm he may be hard to beat out. The bueaty of Fine's work ethic  is hopefully it rubs off on others. Vey exciting! GMG 

• Upvote 1