Assuming we get a new coach

oldguystudent

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

everal players will not be renewed.   I would not want to be either White-Pittman or Fuller, they have lost a red shirt year and really haven't had a change to show their merit.

*I'm not a fan of pulling a players 'ship because he's no longer considered "good enough"

With that out if the way, GWP hasn't shown anything his entire career here before sitting out this season. Fuller is big man filler, but did show a little ability last season. In either case they (I think) each only have one year of eligibility remaining.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

*I'm not a fan of pulling a players 'ship because he's no longer considered "good enough"

With that out if the way, GWP hasn't shown anything his entire career here before sitting out this season. Fuller is big man filler, but did show a little ability last season. In either case they (I think) each only have one year of eligibility remaining.

Fuller has three years left and White-Pittman 2years.  

Fuller came on a little bit late in his freshman year.   White-Pittman was used as a defensive substitute by Benford.   

I also hate to see players not have their ships renewed.  However, in men's basketball: it is done almost universally now.  You produce in a couple of years or you are gone.   

Jones really gave players a chance and was very slow to let any player go.  He was the exception, but not the norm.   

With a new HC, I suspect a lot of turnover unless Baker steps in.   There will be no loyalty to the players and it will strictly be a matter of whether he thinks returnees are better than what he can bring in the first year.    

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Fuller has three years left and White-Pittman 2years.  

Fuller came on a little bit late in his freshman year.   White-Pittman was used as a defensive substitute by Benford.   

I also hate to see players not have their ships renewed.  However, in men's basketball: it is done almost universally now.  You produce in a couple of years or you are gone.   

Jones really gave players a chance and was very slow to let any player go.  He was the exception, but not the norm.   

With a new HC, I suspect a lot of turnover unless Baker steps in.   There will be no loyalty to the players and it will strictly be a matter of whether he thinks returnees are better than what he can bring in the first year.    

THIS!  As much as I hate the "pulling the scholarship" thing...and I do really hate it...men's basketball has become a one-year gig and all players and families of players know that going in.  It just happens to be the nature of the game today.  Look across the landscape of college basketball on any level and you will see jet contrails left by players as they decide to transfer after a year or two or coaches have decided that a player should "look for greener pastures" elsewhere.  College football is seeing some of the same "transfer" activity, but since there are more players on a FB team, the transfers are not nearly as evident unless it involves a "star" recruit or player.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 3/1/2017 at 0:25 AM, GrandGreen said:

I suspect several players will not be renewed.   I would not want to be either White-Pittman or Fuller, they have lost a red shirt year and really haven't had a change to show their merit.   However, they may much better now than they were; hope they get some kind of opportunity to prove themselves.   I suspect the three juniors to be, Holston, Brice and Brown will also be strongly evaluated.    All have significant potential, and have been big contributors: but it all depends on what the new staff thinks they can bring in.  

Have not seen Wainwright, but his numbers are not bad on the team is on.   The Ttech pg is the big recruit on that team, so I not sure how much Wainwright has been needed to move the ball down the court.  

Even if Frazier wanted to come back and got a medical waiver, I really doubt a new coach wants to waste a ship on an one semester player.  

Fuller hasn't changed to show merit? Not sure you know anything about Fuller. He was a FRESHMAN last year and hasn't played a game this year. So you can't really say he hasn't changed. No one knows.

As far as the team, there are really good pieces that a good coach would be able to mold and use.  A good coach can get much more out of at least 8 returning players on this team. I do not think Holston, Brown, or Brice have anything to worry about.  Also, don't be so quick to slap a freshman in the starting line-up against any of the junior guards. Lawson did well this year, but that was after a lot of bad, ill advised shots, that most coaches would have advised against, but Benford allowed.  Lawson had a long leash, not a guarantee Wainwright will.

Can a good coach mold these guys, instead of one on one offense?  The turn-overs by our guards are outrageous- don't know many coaches who would put up with that.

1 hour ago, Bullyballer said:

Fuller hasn't changed to show merit? Not sure you know anything about Fuller. He was a FRESHMAN last year and hasn't played a game this year. So you can't really say he hasn't changed. No one knows.

As far as the team, there are really good pieces that a good coach would be able to mold and use.  A good coach can get much more out of at least 8 returning players on this team. I do not think Holston, Brown, or Brice have anything to worry about.  Also, don't be so quick to slap a freshman in the starting line-up against any of the junior guards. Lawson did well this year, but that was after a lot of bad, ill advised shots, that most coaches would have advised against, but Benford allowed.  Lawson had a long leash, not a guarantee Wainwright will.

Can a good coach mold these guys, instead of one on one offense?  The turn-overs by our guards are outrageous- don't know many coaches who would put up with that.

Should have read haven't had a chance to show merit.   

Wainwright is not a freshman, he will be a junior coming in as a juco transfer.   

You are entitled to your opinion, however you are not familiar with modern NCAA basketball if you think a new coach coming in is going to keep anyone if he thinks he can do better.   It is not like he is going to hurt team chemistry by not keeping the 9 returning lettermen.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bullyballer said:

The turn-overs by our guards are outrageous- don't know many coaches who would put up with that.

LIke a coach who knows he is done at the school but still getting a sweet check no matter what the results?

• Upvote 5

• 4 years later...
On 2/28/2017 at 5:16 PM, Cooley said:

If I'm the new coach, I would seriously think about not bringing Pittman or Fuller back. Use those scholarships on better players. Can't imagine Frazier coming back. He would only have 1 semester to play. Would/Could he sit another semester to play conference games?

Hope Baker considers a coach that can come with an impact package. Zach Simmons may end up being a steal. Though a nice project, I would hate to lose him in the transition. I can see him pushing Brice in the middle but needs more bulk and muscle. Wainwright didn't show me much the only time I saw him but that team was loaded. Don't see him making that much of an impact. Not a great shooter and hates to bring the ball up the court.    

Zach, nice to have witnessed your gradual improvement. You were a steal. Best of luck.   

• Upvote 2