Sample images of other college track and soccer stadiums

Harry

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Great info Kram.  Glad you're here to provide this insight!

Do you know if they plan on upgrading the actual Soccer Stadium at all with this $12Mil budget?   If the interior of the T&F facility is just a soccer practice field, then it sounds like T&F is about to get a VERY NICE stadium.  
$12Mil is quite a bit of money to spend on a T&F-specific venue isn't it?  I would hope they might allocate some of that money to upgrade the current soccer stadium as well.  No better way to "take the next step" for the soccer ladies than to pour some funds into upgrading their lockerroom/stadium.  Let the DFW-area recruits know we're not just a good team, we're serious about winning.

This news pretty much removes any of the dual-sided ideas like Kansas & Duke above.

OK folks...let me make this perfectly clear...what I have reported is simply what Dr Smatresk himself reported in a meeting I attended.  Who knows how this will all shake out in the end?  While the project seems to be moving forward, there are plenty of things to still be worked out.  Heck, Coach Hedlund may find a way to create that soccer playing field as wide as he would like it.  He has mentioned for some time that the current field is too narrow for his liking....and, yes, for you non-soccer folks, soccer fields are not all the same size nor do they have to be...there are parameters but fields can and do vary in size.  New soccer and track offices are being incorporated into the planning of this new facility.  And, yes, upgrades are being considered for the current soccer facility. Lots to be worked out, so we shall see.  BUT, this will be a nice facility and it will be multi-purpose which seems to be the "trend" these days.  Just remember...soccer is played on grass as a preference (and, yes, many college facilities play on turf but that is not preferred)...so, give that some thought along with where the field events would need to go should the interior of the new track facility become the "home" site for UNT soccer.  Very excited to see how this develops.  Hopefully, Dr. Smatrsk and Wren Baker are on the same "sheet of music" here with where they want this to go and how they want it to develop.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

OK folks...let me make this perfectly clear...what I have reported is simply what Dr Smatresk himself reported in a meeting I attended.  Who knows how this will all shake out in the end?  While the project seems to be moving forward, there are plenty of things to still be worked out.  Heck, Coach Hedlund may find a way to create that soccer playing field as wide as he would like it.  He has mentioned for some time that the current field is too narrow for his liking....and, yes, for you non-soccer folks, soccer fields are not all the same size nor do they have to be...there are parameters but fields can and do vary in size.  New soccer and track offices are being incorporated into the planning of this new facility.  And, yes, upgrades are being considered for the current soccer facility. Lots to be worked out, so we shall see.  BUT, this will be a nice facility and it will be multi-purpose which seems to be the "trend" these days.  Just remember...soccer is played on grass as a preference (and, yes, many college facilities play on turf but that is not preferred)...so, give that some thought along with where the field events would need to go should the interior of the new track facility become the "home" site for UNT soccer.  Very excited to see how this develops.  Hopefully, Dr. Smatrsk and Wren Baker are on the same "sheet of music" here with where they want this to go and how they want it to develop.

I'm not holding you to this or anything...   just wondering, since you had Pres Smatresk's attention if the current soccer stadium would get a makeover.
You're very correct about the pitch sizing.  I didn't know coach Hedlund wasn't a fan of his home pitch!  I figured since it was built during his tenure, that he would have input on dimensions.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm not holding you to this or anything...   just wondering, since you had Pres Smatresk's attention if the current soccer stadium would get a makeover.
You're very correct about the pitch sizing.  I didn't know coach Hedlund wasn't a fan of his home pitch!  I figured since it was built during his tenure, that he would have input on dimensions.

It was Liberty Christian's football stadium.  Size was there when UNT took it over.  Coach Hedlund has always wanted a wider field.  But, he has a pretty good home record on that field, so there is that going for him and that pitch.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I like the Northern AZ, but no idea if we would even consider that nor does it sound like they would consider it.

I do like that they are wanting to make it into a multi-use stadium, makes it so UNT can get more uses out of it and hopefully generate some additional revenue as well. Someone had talked about the OK vs TX relays, that would be great and another recruiting tool UNT could offer as a way to show off UNT track/ soccer facilities. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I like the Northern AZ, but no idea if we would even consider that nor does it sound like they would consider it.

I do like that they are wanting to make it into a multi-use stadium, makes it so UNT can get more uses out of it and hopefully generate some additional revenue as well. Someone had talked about the OK vs TX relays, that would be great and another recruiting tool UNT could offer as a way to show off UNT track/ soccer facilities. 

Slap a restaurant on it and let the hotel and restaurant management people use it for class and get state funds!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Can someone provide clarification.  Vito's article states that this will be a venue that services as the track and field facility as well as a new stadium for women's soccer, but some on here state that it will only be the practice facility for the soccer team.  Does anyone know which it is?

53 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Can someone provide clarification.  Vito's article states that this will be a venue that services as the track and field facility as well as a new stadium for women's soccer, but some on here state that it will only be the practice facility for the soccer team.  Does anyone know which it is?

We will all know when they start turning dirt.  Until then things could go either way. Dr Smatrest mentioned one concept, Vito seems to be reporting another...assume that Vito's info is coming from folks in the Athletic Dept.

In reality, either concept/idea is a nice improvement in facilities.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 6:46 PM, GreenMachine said:

Slap a restaurant on it and let the hotel and restaurant management people use it for class and get state funds!

Wish they would do something like that.

The Hospitality majors work in a restaurant that is really nice between the Gateway building and the Superpit... I'm not sure how often it is open, but my sister worked in it before she graduated.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 0:52 AM, TheWestie said:

Can't talk about college track facilities without mentioning Hayward Field, paid for by Nike of course.
hayward-field-ap_h.jpg?itok=ltzazbVH

U of H has the Carl Lewis International Complex14.jpg

and Yeoman Fieldhouse for Indoor T&F

hou-16-yeoman-rot2.jpg

I like the way UNC has their setup at Fetzer Field. The Carolina blue track surface is a nice touch.

YXGFDEKZAEDMVPX.20130910170159.jpg

I'm gonna say right now that someone needs to get Wren's ear about us getting a green track. 
Baylor just got one at the new Clyde Hart Track & Field Stadium.

Final-Collage-Small.jpg

The combined press box idea is exactly what Kansas just did at their new Rock Chalk Park. Awesome execution there. (Yeah its a rendering, sorry)

14topper_facilities_home.jpg

University of South Florida has a pretty nice place at USF Track and Field Stadium. Used to be their soccer field too until 2011.

CZOBTUSIUNSCYEC.20160321221631.jpg

The Mike Long Track at Florida State is nice too, nestled there in the pine trees.OWUFYGRTXHTOTDO.20140629085612.jpeg

And now, what I think it's probably one of the nicest soccer/track venues in the NCAA.

If we even tried to copy this for our new place, I wouldn't be mad.

Northern Arizona University's Lumberjack Stadium in Flagstaff. This is a Big Sky Conference facility y'all. FCS.

It was their football stadium until 1977, then served as track only and then started hosting women's soccer in 1997. In 2011 it was renovated as a part of their newly built $100 million Health and Learning Center which they built on the land right next to the stadium, which had been a parking lot. The glass walls and flying roof overhangs are part of the Health and Learning Center building behind it. It seats 1,000.

iakzavahq6qbl5dc.jpg

0072db1de430f221d9f1edf1ed14bc74.jpg

4e041e8e48b70.image.jpg

nau-wellness-center.jpg

57b97c60b06d8.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

Track_720.jpg

1468949597356-NAU+-+Track+16.jpg

img_5162-aerial.jpg

Now, can you imagine something like that, but with a green track, green chair back seats and greenish glass that matches Apogee brickwork that matches the Hurley? 

I can.

I grew up in Flagstaff and went to football games with my dad at that stadium. It sure has changed. I'd love this look at North Texas!

23 hours ago, YIPYKIA said:

Can't talk about college track facilities without mentioning Hayward Field, paid for by Nike of course

I knew I'd seen that stadium before!

http://www.tristateracer.com/blog/gallery.php?I=319

Hayward played a backdrop for Animal House

7.JPG

Edited by Stix
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, TheWestie said:

So I did a thing...

large.NewTrackLocationWithHeyward.jpg.2627f456f3876bebe590e8dc02382121.jpg

... I think where I put The Bubble is exactly where we should build ours.

large.DickeyFieldsWithIndoors.jpg.160737cf4cf3ea6fc3ac1728aab54bfd.jpg

Here is the Mean Green Village with the UT Bubble where the Mean Green Soccer Stadium is. Note that a full 100 yard with two 10 yard deep end zones facility is significantly longer than the existing soccer field.

And with TCU's Baugh Indoor. Which fits the space nicely.

large.MeanGreenVillageWithTCU.jpg.25f041e1793b6341317ab08e59984e4d.jpg

And just because, here's Disch-Falk Field if it were put north of Lovelace Stadium and close enough to share bathroom facilities.

large.MeanGreenDischFalk.jpg.d93cebfd9a5ce286de6fedeaebaebd15.jpg

I found these 4 very interesting.  The track is likely going to need to face E/W, since there's not much room between the tennis courts & the track, or Willowood & the track.

As for the IPF, it can't go where you have the bubble, because according to the University Master Plan, there is going to eventually be a dorm there mirroring Victory.  I'm kind of wondering if it's going to go where you have the Argyle one... just south of the Dickey fields.  But I hope ours is more like TCU's size.

i suppose we'll see if Pres Smatresk knew what he was talking about when he said the soccer field at the new track stadium will only be a practice field only.  If so, no dice on putting an IPF where the current soccer stadium is.  Otherwise, I didn't think a nice-sized IPF would fit there, but it would seem to fit nicely.

Glad to see a nice baseball diamond will fit by Lovelace.

Are these edits to the same size?

I do get the whole they wanna build a new dorm, but I’m wondering if they would consider doing it over by where fouts is.  I know they wanna have it (fouts) as a parking lot, but I believe it had been said that they would eventually build something where Fouts is now.

I do like the future baseball stadium there, the only question would be I guess parking would be out in the right field?

All my Google Maps screen grabs are the same scale. 

https://osmp.unt.edu/sites/default/files/UNT Denton Master Plan 2013.pdf

The plan for the Fouts land, since about 2005, has been for it to become a parking garage, a dorm, and several other buildings. At one point an opera house was in the plans but on the revised 2013 Master Plan it got scraped. It was changed to a large parking garage, surface parking and intramural fields and new dorms.

Note that this includes not just the land the stadium itself is on, but also the whole parking lot and old football practice fields around Fouts.

Look on page 64 of the Master Plan. It has a map of campus with a track stadium at the corner of Wildwood and Bonnie Brae. 

And a baseball stadium. Which is why I photoshopped Disch-Faulk where I did.

Page 118 shows a proposed indoor fieldhouse south of the Mean Green Volleyball complex. The site of the former Liberty Christian baseball or softball field. And it looks like they planned something either the size of TCU or smaller. This is in the "Long Range Plan" section.

Page 120 shows a proposal for an indoor tennis facility in the middle of the Warranch Tennis Pavillon and elsewhere says that a center championship competition court is no longer needed nor desired. This is all in the " Beyond Long Range" section of the Master Plan.

Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 7.21.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 7.14.02 PM.png

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I found these 4 very interesting.  The track is likely going to need to face E/W, since there's not much room between the tennis courts & the track, or Willowood & the track.

As for the IPF, it can't go where you have the bubble, because according to the University Master Plan, there is going to eventually be a dorm there mirroring Victory.  I'm kind of wondering if it's going to go where you have the Argyle one... just south of the Dickey fields.  But I hope ours is more like TCU's size.

i suppose we'll see if Pres Smatresk knew what he was talking about when he said the soccer field at the new track stadium will only be a practice field only.  If so, no dice on putting an IPF where the current soccer stadium is.  Otherwise, I didn't think a nice-sized IPF would fit there, but it would seem to fit nicely.

Glad to see a nice baseball diamond will fit by Lovelace.

Needs to be a full regulation field with plenty of room around the perimeter for "run off" to complete sideline plays and conduct full scrimmages with teams on the sidelines.

8 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Needs to be a full regulation field with plenty of room around the perimeter for "run off" to complete sideline plays and conduct full scrimmages with teams on the sidelines.

I would assume that its larger than the stand field.. with it being a multiple sport complex, I would think soccer uses it some, along with the track team as well. 

@TheWestie, as much as I love the 2013 Master Plan since I got to contribute to it, Prez has said that they will pursue that plan as much as it makes sense, and change where it doesn't.

The College of Music right now is lobbying hard to get use of the Fout for a completely new expansive facility. This way we could finally resemble even the likeness of our peer institutions and bring back together some rather physically disparate Divisions of the College.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 3