UTSA's New DL Coach is former Bama guy

Coach Bill Lewis

23 minutes ago, Coach Bill Lewis said:

Bo Davis. Amazing recruiter.   He was the former Alabama Defensive Line Coach.  I think UTSA may have the best staff in all of C-USA if you consider quality experience and recruiting skins on the wall.  

Sure looks like it, but wondering if he will be a 1 and done.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Coach Bill Lewis said:

Bo Davis. Amazing recruiter.   He was the former Alabama Defensive Line Coach.  I think UTSA may have the best staff in all of C-USA if you consider quality experience and recruiting skins on the wall.  

Not a fan of him from his days at Texas.

Also, his "amazing" recruiting ability may have something to do with the fact that he was violating NCAA rules...

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Before accepting his new position with UTSA, Davis had been working as a truck driver to make ends meet, as multiple schools were showing interest in Davis as an assistant, but were waiting for the NCAA investigation to run its course, per Zenitz's report. 

UTSA don't care. If anybody is going to stir up the NCAA, it's these guys. Recruiting alleged felons, hiring coaches under NCAA investigation, what's next?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

So here is a question, what are  possible negative outcomes for Davis?

The NCAA penalized UCLA assistant football coach  Adrian Klemm  with a two-year show-cause order on Friday for arranging training services and housing for two recruits worth $2,400 that he paid for outside of NCAA rules.

Klemm, who coaches the offensive line and also has the title of associate head coach, is regarded as the top recruiter on UCLA’s staff. Last season, he made $760,000 and was the third-highest paid assistant coach in the Pac-12, according to the USA TODAY Sports salary database.

According to the report issued by the NCAA Committee on Infractions, Klemm blatantly violated rules in March of 2014 when he arranged for two recruits to spend three weeks at a training facility in Scottsdale, Ariz., operated by a former NFL player with whom he was friends.

Klemm now is under a show-cause order until Sept. 15, 2018. If UCLA continues to employ him or another school hires him during this period, it must appear in front of the Committee on Infractions to show why restrictions on his coaching activities should not apply and submit a plan for oversight of his activities.

Full Article

It seems like the worst that could happen is they get increased oversight or fire him.......unless he commits violations while on staff at UTSA, then..........thor-hammertime.gif

• Upvote 2

Well, on second thought, Kiffin did hire his brother from Ole Miss where he had allegedly committed Level 2 offenses like Davis did at Bama.

Although there is the curious case of David Saunders who left Ole Miss and went to ULL. Ole Miss got the kid glove treatment while ULL got it pretty good.

Saunders received an eight-year show-cause, which requires an NCAA institution that intends to hire him before Jan. 11, 2024 to argue before a panel why he should be hired without restriction. He joined Louisiana-Lafayette’s coaching staff in January 2011 after his third stint at Ole Miss.

Louisiana-Lafayette self-imposed a reduction of 11 scholarships over three seasons and the number of off-campus recruiting days and official visits the school can provide as well as vacating its 2011 season, which included playing in the New Orleans Bowl.

The Committee on Infractions placed the program on probation through Jan. 11, 2018, fined it $5,000, vacated games from the 2012-14 seasons in which ineligible athletes competed and added more restrictions on how much recruiting the team can do.

The investigation at Louisiana-Lafayette “arose out of a different investigation at another member institution,” according to the Committee of Infractions’ report.

The Louisiana-Lafayette response to the NCAA’s allegations asserted that “a pattern of violations … trailed Saunders to” the school and that “it is evident that improper activity occurred in advance of (Louisiana-Lafayette) hiring.

Who knows? I see it as Frank Wilson seeing UTSA as nothing more than a stepping stone to get a P5 gig. He doesn't care if that program burns to ashes in his wake.

Littrell however, seems to be building this thing for long-term sustained success. He is doing it all the right way with high character guys(although I'm still leary of our new OL coach). I think Littrell was the better hire and I don't care what the 247 rankings say.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 7

27 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Probably winning...

Yep, and it always ends well.

835713166.jpg

42 minutes ago, runnerdood57 said:

Love watching you dweebs froth at the mouth every time we do something better than you (which, lets face it, is often as hell). It must suck to be leapfrogged so quickly by a new program. Have fun in our shadow.

Enjoy your NCAA sanctions. We'll still invite you to Denton every other year if the NCAA lets us.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, runnerdood57 said:

Love watching you dweebs froth at the mouth every time we do something better than you (which, lets face it, is often as hell). It must suck to be leapfrogged so quickly by a new program. Have fun in our shadow.

To be fair, given the girth of the average UTSA student, it is pretty hard for most folks to stay out of your shadows.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, runnerdood57 said:

So you know. The OP is a bot.... it posts automatically about CUSA happenings (among other conferences as well).  Totally understand why you came here to chime in since there are just 2 posts about this hiring on CricketsTalk.com

2 hours ago, runnerdood57 said:

Come back when you win a bowl game. For the first time. Ever.

Also, why aren't you on your own board? Oh right cause it sucks.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

So you know. The OP is a bot.... it posts automatically about CUSA happenings (among other conferences as well).  Totally understand why you came here to chime in since there are just 2 posts about this hiring on CricketsTalk.com

Coach Bill Lewis is still real to me dammit!!!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, p_phelps said:

Well everything he's done thus far had been pretty great sooooo

Same thing they said about Ron Meyer.

18 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

So, you don't like the hiring of Yellock?

I'm loving Yellock. I wanted him more than LeBlanc when we hired LeBlanc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

So, you don't like the hiring of Yellock?

I do, I'm still bitter how the past recruiting season went, I'll stop being a sour puss when spring ball starts most likely.

4 hours ago, runnerdood57 said:

and while its all well and good to be happy about your recruiting class, you have NO IDEA if they will turn out to be good. It's cool to post in your own team forum ( as non existent as that may be) when you think you have a solid class but when you come to boast about it to other teams is pretty dumb for lack of a better word. W-L we are on the same level, school is not even close we win hands down, city we win and I've lived in both. You win in the off-season as much as the Washington redskins used to win every off-season with the same results on the field. So kick rocks.  

Edited by p_phelps
  • Upvote 2