What if?

untjim1995

I realize the chances are 1/10th of 1%, but what if Benford got retained as head coach and was given a 2-3 year extension?

Could Ernie and his merry band of the UNT 17, who have bought the Benford Fever and let it stick around this long, throw more money at him to try and save face? This group has to be so embarrassed by this all, but they could just double-down and try to give one of their last guys from their RV-led era to get another couple of years. Would the university's BOR and administration even care if that occurred? After all, they let this thing flounder and then die in 5 years and it didn't bother them a bit that the Super Pit was at 15% capacity.

Again, I strongly doubt it would happen. But its UNT and sports, a combination that has rarely worked out well for decades...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 13

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I realize the chances are 1/10th of 1%, but what if Benford got retained as head coach and was given a 2-3 year extension?

Could Ernie and his merry band of the UNT 17, who have bought the Benford Fever and let it stick around this long, throw more money at him to try and save face? This group has to be so embarrassed by this all, but they could just double-down and try to give one of their last guys from their RV-led era to get another couple of years. Would the university's BOR and administration even care if that occurred? After all, they let this thing flounder and then die in 5 years and it didn't bother them a bit that the Super Pit was at 15% capacity.

Again, I strongly doubt it would happen. But its UNT and sports, a combination that has rarely worked out well for decades...

You are pretty out of date on your info regarding the so-called "17" and Ernie.  Ernie is not attending basketball games and is not at all happy with the state of the program in basketball at the moment. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

1. No way in hell

2. You have to look at the entire body of work, not just a few game where the players may get hot.

3. If Benford were retained, we'd have to organize an "Occupy the Athletic Department," protest and burn it down.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

You are pretty out of date on your info regarding the so-called "17" and Ernie.  Ernie is not attending basketball games and is not at all happy with the state of the program in basketball at the moment. 

Oh, so NOW he's not happy? Too little too late from the so-called "Godfather" of the basketball program. The blood of our once proud basketball program is on his hands as he and his good buddy RV supported Benford long after the vast majority of us realized on 11/12/12 that he wasn't the man for the job.

It didn't have to be this way, Benford should have been fired long ago, but Ernie's support played a huge role in him being here 5 years. The issue isn't a lack of money, the issue is the unconditional support Benford received from the power brokers within the athletic department.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, GRN-WHT said:

Oh, so NOW he's not happy? Too little too late from the so-called "Godfather" of the basketball program. The blood of our once proud basketball program is on his hands as he and his good buddy RV supported Benford long after the vast majority of us realized on 11/12/12 that he wasn't the man for the job.

It didn't have to be this way, Benford should have been fired long ago, but Ernie's support played a huge role in him being here 5 years. The issue isn't a lack of money, the issue is the unconditional support Benford received from the power brokers within the athletic department.

You know this for a fact how?  You have direct personal contact with Ernie on a regular basis?  Ernie is a very successful lawyer and a very interesting guy.  He can be VERY generous with his time, his talent and his money as we have all seen.  He can also be a tad "tough to figure out at times".  Ernie is "one of a kind" and he has earned the right to be that way.  Unless you have talked directly to him and that is where your info is coming from, then you are only speculating.  Ernie IS NOT an easy guy to figure out.

The issue is not the so-called 17, who no one here has ever been successfully to name, it is that UNT has far too few of these mysterious 17!  With so few heavy hitters it is easy for one or two to dominate a good bit of what goes on...it is their money after all.  Their influence goes a long way in any athletic department and those of us with much less to give should be thankful for the heavy hitters we do have, not play the blame game and see them as the root of all evil. 

If the smaller guys, like me, want more influence or want to mute the influence of the largest donors to any extent, there simply much be many many more of "us", so that a loss of one of the "17" because they were upset about something would not result in such a big financial hit.  Until then, well, it is what it is for us and many other universities.  If the smaller donor "us" folks get in a huff and walk away because we have some personal grudge, don't like a certain coach or administrator, well...hello big donor influence. 

Yes, I know there are those among us that will vehemently disagree with my thoughts here.  I get that, and that is OK.  It is a difference of opinion, but I am guessing if people really think about it and put those personally grudges or dislikes away, they might find some small bit of logic in these thoughts.  Yes, just as I have found bits of logic in even the biggest "disagreers" we have here on GMG.Com. And, perhaps the answer lies smack in the middle of both.

Anyway...if we want to blame the "17" or more specifically Ernie, we also need to take a long hard look in the mirror.  There is power in numbers.  Lots of smaller donors can and do offset the effects of a single larger donor who some might think are pulling strings in a direction that would prefer not to go.

Anyway...whichever way anyone wants to look at it, it appears that a decision, one way or the other, will be made after the season ends.  Hopefully, it is a decision that a lot of us "smaller donors" can get behind and support with the time, talent and dollars.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 4

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I always enjoy hearing from personnal friends of Ernie and the group of 17! Of course you could be full of crap! What have you done lately fellow alum?

• Downvote 7

My theory is it has nothing to do with donors. RV didn't want to fire another one of his hires and got away with it due to changes at the UNT President's position. In fact I think that explains a lot of the buffoonery of the past few years. RV selling the upper administration on his bad bill of goods. The accounting mess/distraction probably didn't help. 

With all of that behind us and stability with Smatresk there really are no excuses. Looking at you Wren. 

• Upvote 1

Benford will be graded on his body of work.  His body of work does not constitute any further consideration as head coach.  You come and go in the coaching business on the W's and L's.  He has had due time and, for whatever reasons, wasn't able to build a respectable program.  Good luck to him at his next  venue...time for a drastic change at men's basketball.

54 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Let's stop with the RV and 17 bit. We have a whole new program. Let WB and company out their stamp on things. We all know that TB will be gone after this season. Stop living on the RV and 17 past

Thank you...great post and spot on.  Time to look to the future...not dwell on the past.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Let's stop with the RV and 17 bit. We have a whole new program. Let WB and company out their stamp on things. We all know that TB will be gone after this season. Stop living on the RV and 17 past

I think it will be cause for concern if our top donors are involved in the hiring process of the new coach after getting it so wrong with Benford.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

So, just to be clear... The time to criticize/complain about problems is not before

And it's not during. Or while things are ongoing.

And obviously, we shouldn't criticize or complain after, as mentioned in the quoted post. 

Other than before/during/after the subject in question, people expressing disapproval over perceived (or obvious, flaming, screaming-out-loud) problems is okay though, right? 

6 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

And how do we know that? Did WB put out a statement that I missed?

Well, either he hasn't put out a statement yet... In which case: shut up about it. 

Or, he's in the middle of drafting a statement right now... In which case: shut up about it. 

Or, he's already put a statement out... In which case: shut up about it. 

I hope this helps you better understand how to process and respond to whatever the situation may be. 

7 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Well, either he hasn't put out a statement yet... In which case: shut up about it. 

Or, he's in the middle of drafting a statement right now... In which case: shut up about it. 

Or, he's already put a statement out... In which case: shut up about it. 

I hope this helps you better understand how to process and respond to whatever the situation may be. 

Should I say "Thank you sir, may I have another!" Or just remain silent for another 20 loss season?

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

So, just to be clear... The time to criticize/complain about problems is not before

And it's not during. Or while things are ongoing.

And obviously, we shouldn't criticize or complain after, as mentioned in the quoted post. 

Other than before/during/after the subject in question, people expressing disapproval over perceived (or obvious, flaming, screaming-out-loud) problems is okay though, right? 

But never at dusk! NEVER AT DUSK!

• Upvote 1