'18 DT Terrance Newman (Duncanville)

UNTLifer

Powerful kid, would be dominating. We HAVE to find a way to get him to Denton.

Get out there and like his offer tweet, maybe it doesn't help but it certainly doesn't hurt when we turn out in numbers showing we love the kid being offered by our staff.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

It's just about 100% official. This staff couldn't recruit themselves out of a wet paper bag. We are dropping literally every player that has either a SMU, La Tech, UH, Tulsa, UTSA, etc. offer.

I don't know how SL is getting sleep at night. If this class doesn't drastically improve, you might as well put a timer on his job status at UNT. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

37 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

It's just about 100% official. This staff couldn't recruit themselves out of a wet paper bag. We are dropping literally every player that has either a SMU, La Tech, UH, Tulsa, UTSA, etc. offer.

I don't know how SL is getting sleep at night. If this class doesn't drastically improve, you might as well put a timer on his job status at UNT. 

Really? We never knew how you felt about recruiting. A few thousand more rants on a fan message board just might fix the problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, GreenMachine said:

Really? We never knew how you felt about recruiting. A few thousand more rants on a fan message board just might fix the problem.

I wouldn't call that a rant. 

But as each guy commits to other schools, many times the same handful of schools, we drop further and further down the totem pole for this class and for seasons to come. Recruiting is many times based off of momentum. When X kid commits, Y & Z sees that and commits shortly thereafter. This class is not by any means lost, but we need a momentous commit or two to get the snowball rolling. If that kind of splash commit(s) doesn't happen, bet your house on another 115+ ranked recruiting class. 

• Downvote 2

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

I wouldn't call that a rant. 

But as each guy commits to other schools, many times the same handful of schools, we drop further and further down the totem pole for this class and for seasons to come. Recruiting is many times based off of momentum. When X kid commits, Y & Z sees that and commits shortly thereafter. This class is not by any means lost, but we need a momentous commit or two to get the snowball rolling. If that kind of splash commit(s) doesn't happen, bet your house on another 115+ ranked recruiting class. 

Yes Ben, we all get that. You know it, I know it, everybody on this board knows it. Beating it into every single recruiting post, over and over, accomplishs absolutely nothing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

Yes Ben, we all get that. You know it, I know it, everybody on this board knows it. Beating it into every single recruiting post, over and over, accomplishs absolutely nothing. 

That's just it, I don't think everyone knows it. And if they know it, they are pushing it so far into the back of their brain it's as if they don't know it. We have a lot of heads in the sand within this fan base. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

That's just it, I don't think everyone knows it. And if they know it, they are pushing it so far into the back of their brain it's as if they don't know it. We have a lot of heads in the sand within this fan base. 

So let's just say hypothetically Seth Continues to improve and his recruiting classes don't move the needle much more. Then what will you say? 

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Need to hire some position coaches who are better recruiters.    It's not all on Littrell.

But again, if he keeps his recruiting class but gets regularly to 8 wins. Does the class ranking matter any more i'm not saying we don't want both, but would you rather have winning recruiting classes or games won? This things are neither exclusive or completely attached. Recruiting outside of the top 35 classes is more of an art then a science like it is near the top. We have a ton of commitments right now. From kids who we offered early. If the staff didn't want them, they wouldn't have offered.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

But again, if he keeps his recruiting class but gets regularly to 8 wins. Does the class ranking matter any more i'm not saying we don't want both, but would you rather have winning recruiting classes or games won? This things are neither exclusive or completely attached. Recruiting outside of the top 35 classes is more of an art then a science like it is near the top. We have a ton of commitments right now. From kids who we offered early. If the staff didn't want them, they wouldn't have offered.

This hypothetical doesn't work.  We'll never be able to get up to the heights we want to be without better recruiting.  Seth's coaching/system will only take us so far if he continually loses recruiting battles to teams we play every year.  That may include an 8-or-9-win season sprinkled in here and there, but there will be plenty of 5-7, 6-6, 7-5 as well.

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This hypothetical doesn't work.  We'll never be able to get up to the heights we want to be without better recruiting.  Seth's coaching/system will only take us so far if he continually loses recruiting battles to teams we play every year.  That may include an 8-or-9-win season sprinkled in here and there, but there will be plenty of 5-7, 6-6, 7-5 as well.

In the classes leading up to Tech's huge year in 2008, they had the #6 recruiting class in the Big XII ('05), the #5 recruiting class ('06), the #10 class ('07), and the #10 class ('08).  Obviously, #1 and #2 classes make it easier, but "never be able" simply isn't true.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

If his classes continue, we'll never 'regularly' get to 8 wins. 

But I'll play along...If we regularly get to 8 wins a year with a recruiting classes rated over 100, SL should be NCOTY on an annual basis. To note...With these classes, if he hits 8 wins back to back years, he'll be getting plucked away. We would have to hire an identical philosophical coach to keep the train rolling or we're literally back to square 1. 

In short, I'd be pleased. But I'd still want to see recruiting improve to reach another plateau and create a new watermark. If he could win 8 with poor recruiting, he could run the table with average recruiting. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

But I'll play along...If we regularly get to 8 wins a year with a recruiting classes rated over 100, SL should be NCOTY on an annual basis. To note...With these classes, if he hits 8 wins back to back years, he'll be getting plucked away. We would have to hire an identical philosophical coach to keep the train rolling or we're literally back to square 1. 

In short, I'd be pleased. But I'd still want to see recruiting improve to reach another plateau and create a new watermark. If he could win 8 with poor recruiting, he could run the table with average recruiting. 

Solid answer. Appreciate the feedback. I think any success here is going to bring people after our coach. Same for Wilson and UTSA.

6 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

In the classes leading up to Tech's huge year in 2008, they had the #6 recruiting class in the Big XII ('05), the #5 recruiting class ('06), the #10 class ('07), and the #10 class ('08).  Obviously, #1 and #2 classes make it easier, but "never be able" simply isn't true.

Ok? We've been the 10th and 12th 'best' classes in CUSA. So, we're getting lesser talent than Tech was at a worse efficiency in an easier conference. Not sure I grasp the analogy? They were averaging 7th in a 12 team conference. They won with a gimmicky offense, much like ours, but they were still sitting at the 50/50 mark in recruiting with a systematic offense. And in 2008 they were in a 3 way tie in their division of which they finished 3rd and didn't even represent in the conference championship game. That was their plateau season. 

The other problem with this comparison is that in 2008, a lot of the big12 were much more run heavy than 2017 CUSA. People are quick to forget that CFB and CUSA have all evolved into doing much of the same things offensively. It's not as if SL is innovating the game in preparation to take the league by storm...Sort of what Tech did leading into that 2008 season. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

And in 2008 they were in a 3 way tie in their division of which they finished 3rd and didn't even represent in the conference championship game. That was their plateau season. 

They were a national top 10 team.  By Tech's historical standards, that's nothing to sneeze at.

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

The other problem with this comparison is that in 2008, a lot of the big12 were much more run heavy than 2017 CUSA. People are quick to forget that CFB and CUSA have all evolved into doing much of the same things offensively. It's not as if SL is innovating the game in preparation to take the league by storm...Sort of what Tech did leading into that 2008 season. 

True.  But as MGT was talking about possibility, not probability, the point stands.

• Lovely Take 1

16 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

They were a national top 10 team.  By Tech's historical standards, that's nothing to sneeze at.

True.  But as MGT was talking about possibility, not probability, the point stands.

If we're being technical, they were a top 12 national team. 

And you cropped out the first part and most relevant part of that post. They recruited more efficiently than we are to a more difficult conference. They also did it with UT at or around their peak and OU having a national championship appearance that very year. 

Edited by Ben Gooding

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

If we're being technical, they were a top 12 national team. 

And you cropped out the first part and most relevant part of that post. They recruited more efficiently than we are to a more difficult conference. They also did it with UT at or around their peak and OU having a national championship appearance that very year. 

Top 10.  At one point of the season, they were #2 in the nation, which was their peak as a program.

We have been doing a similar job as Tech when compared with conference peers when you consider that we are in a 14-team conference--#6 in 2015, #8 in 2016, #11 in 2017, and #8 in 2018.  That's an average of #8.25, which is slightly bottom half, just as Tech's was slightly bottom half. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You sure about this?

Yes, they might not admit it but they know it. The thing to realize is this message board will never influence a decision by a coach, AD, President, nobody.. The constant bitching and moaning has absolutely no affect on anything, whatsoever. Instead of the constantly bitching here, log off and go to the gym or do something else constructive.

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Without a Top 50 Strength of Schedule he could win 8 games a year and never get near NCOTY.  That coach will always come from a P5 conference.  Furthermore, if he somehow was able to recruit 3* players and win 8-10 games a year, a P5 school in need of a coach could figure that if Littrell can do that with a few 3* and 2* players, think what he could do with a multitude of 4* and some 3s so we would still lose him.  It's going to take some wins before he can get mostly 3-star players.

But, since we would lose either way, I agree that I'd still rather see recruiting success  to help the succeeding coach.