MGN: NT Defense Under Reffett

aztecskin

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Great insight.  Thank you.

I was looking at some past posts on the MGN website and saw this picture from the SMU game.  I think it was the fourth down fade that fell incomplete.  Sure would have been nice to check down to Thompson.

Morris.jpg

I chalk it up to 1st game nerves that game, also if you look at the LT he is blocking the DE and OLB, with a 3rd player behind as well. so that could have been a reason as well.

• Upvote 2

Look directly behind the OLB that is rushing with the DE vs UNT Left Edge Blocker, looks like an H-Back with Murray blocking down, you can see a 3rd player SMU player covering TT

14 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

He must have been a fast SOB because he is nowhere to be found in that picture, and Morris still has the ball in his hand. 

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Great insight.  Thank you.

I was looking at some past posts on the MGN website and saw this picture from the SMU game.  I think it was the fourth down fade that fell incomplete.  Sure would have been nice to check down to Thompson.

Morris.jpg

Yep. I took the pic :) http://meangreennation.com/week-one-offense/

Before the snap pic is here. http://meangreennation.com/familiar-things-nt-21-smu-34/

I still don't like him checking out of the run, but I like the aggression. It's all about execution. Since he had 1v1 and press coverage on Tee Goree, he was looking that way the entire time. If he placed it better . . . 

Also this is the full view of that same play: 

IMG_1560

Edited by aztecskin

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Speed kills.  That's a safety blitzing VS Trey Keenan, who was a more reliable OL for us last year.

No doubt, just pointing out things the average fan may not realize when watching a game, you know things to look for or notice.  It looks like in the still frame theres one missing picture, but I would be willing to bet his kick/slide step with the left foot wasn't quick/long enough to catch up causing him to be off balance and miss.  Again a total guess since that picture is missing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Still say checking down to Thompson would have given us the first down. It was 4th and 1 and he picked the WR with the tightest coverage. 

It would have given us an interception in the middle of the field, instead of the sideline. Do you not see the guy lined up in front of Thompson?

Frame 1 - defensive back lined up 5 yards in front of Thompson, in man to man

Frame 2 - defensive back looks at Morris pulling back to throw, cheats toward the middle of the field

Frame 3 - Morris fully underthrowing a pass by one yard that Goree subsequently doesn't fight for

The play was for Goree the whole way, to let him fight for the ball. That's what big boys do. They lost that battle.

Edited by Aldo

21 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

if the tackle could have held the block for another 2-3 seconds.....who knows...

ehh, thats along time to hold a block, but I agree another second or second and a half, would have helped. 

24 minutes ago, Aldo said:

It would have given us an interception in the middle of the field, instead of the sideline. Do you not see the guy lined up in front of Thompson?

Frame 1 - defensive back lined up 5 yards in front of Thompson, in man to man

Frame 2 - defensive back looks at Morris pulling back to throw, cheats toward the middle of the field

Frame 3 - Morris fully underthrowing a pass by one yard that Goree subsequently doesn't fight for

The play was for Goree the whole way, to let him fight for the ball. That's what big boys do. They lost that battle.

Still say Goree catching the ball would have got us a first down.  It was 4th and 1 and he picked the best receiver on the team (at the time).

Still say Morris throwing a good ball would have got us a first down.  It was 4th and 1 and he (under)threw the ball to the play's designed receiver.

Still say the CB covering Goree falling down would have got us a first down.  It was 4th and 1 and if the dude falls down, Goree's not covered.

Still say a PI call would have got us a first down.  It was 4th and 1 and if Goree had come back to the ball more, he might have drawn a flag.

I, like Lifer, am an awesome hindsight O.C.  ...let alone Thompson was clearly covered prior to the play, and the play was designed to quickly get the ball up to Goree in 1-on-1 coverage like you're saying.

• Upvote 2

Goree did have a habit of not fighting for jump balls.  Not sure why.  Only catch that really sticks out to me was his TD catch against WKU in the end zone in 2015 (I think) where he came over the top of the WKU defender to take away an under thrown ball.  Always puzzled me why he was not willing to fight for the ball more.