MGB: Remake of staff continues as LeBlanc is reportedly moving on

Brett Vito

Littrell clearly assembled a talented coaching staff , and these assistant coaches have earned the right to be hired by SEC and ACC schools, likely at least doubling their salaries to provide tremendous opportunities for their families. (@Brett Vito doesn't elect to use this type of language in his "reports")

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is very confusing:

"...defensive line coach Derrick LeBlanc, who is on his way to Kentucky and that Jeff Koonz, who spent last season as the co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Cincinnati, will replace. "

This makes it sound like coach Koonz will be replacing coach LeBlanc as the DL coach?

Koonz, from what we have gathered on here seems likely to replace Ek as LB coach. but yes very confusing from Vito

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is very confusing:

"...defensive line coach Derrick LeBlanc, who is on his way to Kentucky and that Jeff Koonz, who spent last season as the co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Cincinnati, will replace. "

This makes it sound like coach Koonz will be replacing coach LeBlanc as the DL coach?

I took it the same way. Prob just poor wording by Vito unless Koonz is making a switch.

• Upvote 2

All these coach changes makes me wonder how this impacted recruiting.  Not that they told incoming players or not... but moreso, if you are on your way out and know it.... are you really likely to put your best food forward and fight for those kids for a job you aren't about to be in.

It all just makes me wonder...

• Upvote 6

14 minutes ago, Travis said:

All these coach changes makes me wonder how this impacted recruiting.  Not that they told incoming players or not... but moreso, if you are on your way out and know it.... are you really likely to put your best food forward and fight for those kids for a job you aren't about to be in.

Its a consideration for sure. But then again, the season before, they didn't fare much better.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Travis said:

I highly doubt those guys would loaf on their recruiting duties, or it would likely be relayed to potential employers when they call to talk to Littrell.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

My top choice to replace him would be Everett Todd. He was Troy Reffett's DL coach at ULM. Now the DC/DL coach at Grambling

http://www.gsutigers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=174

Really good find. Doesn't necessarily meet our coaching staff's young age requirement, but could definitely use some experience at that position. 

14 hours ago, Travis said:

I agree with what others have said - the character of those on this staff was such that they would have been out recruiting just as hard as they would have otherwise.  I would be intrigued to know more about the timing of everything.  

Were these moves known but delayed in announcing until after recruiting season?  If so, how did that impact the coaches' recruiting pitches?  My hope is that those young men who have just committed to representing our University weren't knowingly sold on a coaching relationship that would be turned over before they reached campus.

I assume that all these moves were up in the air throughout until after the recruiting cycle and other dominoes began to fall.

7 minutes ago, jdennis82 said:

I agree with what others have said - the character of those on this staff was such that they would have been out recruiting just as hard as they would have otherwise.  I would be intrigued to know more about the timing of everything.  

Were these moves known but delayed in announcing until after recruiting season?  If so, how did that impact the coaches' recruiting pitches?  My hope is that those young men who have just committed to representing our University weren't knowingly sold on a coaching relationship that would be turned over before they reached campus.

I assume that all these moves were up in the air throughout until after the recruiting cycle and other dominoes began to fall.

Yes. Just as in recruiting too, we seem to be one of the last dominoes. The consequential trickle down effect in college football is quite remarkable, but it certainly hurts places like UNT, especially when we have football leadership that is respected and recognized nationally.

• Upvote 1