Breaking Ekeler Headed to UNC

TheReal_jayD

Can't remember losing 2 assistant coaches after just one season at North Texas. 

I don't think Coach Ek ever bought a house or moved his family to Denton, did he?  (Smart move on his part)

I know coaches hire from their past associations, but if North Texas is going to get in the Texas/Okla/Louisiana recruiting game we do need to consider that when hiring the next 2 coaches (not that they haven't already done that). 

This is not saying that our assistants on staff now cannot recruit after one season in Denton, but to complement them hire someone with serious Texas HS  ties which would seem a no-brainer to me at this juncture.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I believe this and from what I am hearing this could be blessing in disguise by letting Reffert have full reigns of Defense he will be able to do more of what him and Seth want to do with the 3-3-5 and blitzing more.

I think this excites me the most. Reffett's defenses at ULM were damn hard to figure out. I always wondered if we were more conservative with Ekeler in there. Really excited to see what a true "swarming" defense looks like next year

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Good luck to Coach Ek! 

Question...does this free up some coaching salary dollars to distribute among our assistants now that we no longer have co-defensive coordinators?  A raise for Reffett and some dollars to spread out to other assistants perhaps?  I know Coach Littrell has been looking for ways and trying to get his assistants more money.  Does this get them even a little more?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Good luck to Coach Ek! 

Question...does this free up some coaching salary dollars to distribute among our assistants now that we no longer have co-defensive coordinators?  A raise for Reffett and some dollars to spread out to other assistants perhaps?  I know Coach Littrell has been looking for ways and trying to get his assistants more money.  Does this get them even a little more?

i would like to see current opening get used on younger coaches on the rise. give guys that stayed a little raise. then let the overflow get used on recruiting budget

• Upvote 5

42 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

With Davis and Ekeler gone, now it's Seth's chance to hire good coaches but even better recruiters. 

Didn't Seth hire these two?

Good luck to both of them.

I am also excited to see what Reffret does now that the D is all his.  I am sure the kids liked Ek's energy, but I have always enjoyed hearing Coach Ref speak on episodes of BTG.  Comes across as a "coach's coach" meaning he is just a good old hard-nosed coach.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I am sure what he wanted is a bigger assistant pool, not to shift money around internally and rob Peter to pay Paul.  

Yes, this is true and let's not pretend that NT really stepped up to get a larger assistant pool, Littrell intentionally took a smaller salary to increase his assistant pool. It is time for our Athletic Department to repay that good faith and step up the assistant pool and recruiting budget.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Brett Vito said:

Come on Vito, please tell me you aren't serious. You of all people should've known that it was Reffett teaching the 3-3-5 to Ekeler who had never coached it before.

UNT coach Seth Littrell has some key decisions to make now. Does he turn the Mean Green’s defense over the Reffett on a full-time basis and look for a linebackers coach?

Reffett has experience as a coordinator in a 3-3-5 system. UNT could then look for a linebackers coach with less experience

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I believe this and from what I am hearing this could be blessing in disguise by letting Reffert have full reigns of Defense he will be able to do more of what him and Seth want to do with the 3-3-5 and blitzing more.

I was wondering this as well... How the team somewhat collapsed on defense the 2nd half of the season, it could lead to an improvement somewhat.. I understand why the did the co-dc titles, but never truly got why someone with no experience in the 3-3-5 would call the plays when you got someone who excelled at it didn't.

Also, I do agree on spending it on a up and coming coach, but with that said.. do we think LB Coach is something that can viewed as a spot we lean more of a recruiter than coach?

Along with, does Reff stay at the Safetys coach or could he move to LB possibly?