T.Tech spring football game

wardly

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Most people who want to go to a Spring Game are likely die-hard fans that would probably pay $10, if not more.

But for Tech this isn't their Spring Game, just a Spring Practice.

Given what Tech is charging, I doubt we can come close to their attendance and potential revenue. North Texas only tends to get between 2k and 4k for its Spring Game, which means we wouldn't even fill the Star to half capacity.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

The Frisco campus is in an office park.  Its a nice office park, but still just using office space at this time....  Have you done a financial analysis that can be presented to WB and staff?  If the numbers are real, then I say go for it....but you cant just do something thinking it will be cool and should work....  Other than that....would be cool

I haven't but those #s would seem like a ball-park figure. And while yes it is office space, it is something that President Smatresk has been trying to push. Tech is also charging 10 bucks per person over the age of 18... UNT should just make it free to everyone. Use this as a way for the coaches to go out in force in the surround areas around Frisco, meet with the coaches and players and give out tickets, that's 1 way to improve relates, heck even give ticket to other areas like here in Denton as well. We don't have to pack the stadium, yes we should and yes that would be great, but just exposing recruits and getting them interested is the first step. I'd also leave an impression to invite or even film some stuff about the behind the scenes of The Star.

The question is not whether any of us would go to a Spring Game in Frisco. We already support the program, buy tickets, and attend the games in Denton. Basically they have our money.The question is whether or not by showcasing our team in a venue in a major market  would we generate interest,attendance, and increase ticket sales,I don't know the answer, but you have to be willing to try something different if what you are doing isn't working. Its either grow or go.

• Upvote 3

The only positive that I can see about playing or having a scrimmage at The Star would be that it would attract people who go to the event just to see the facility.   We might expose some people to North Texas football who otherwise would not ever see a scrimmage or a game.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I haven't but those #s would seem like a ball-park figure. And while yes it is office space, it is something that President Smatresk has been trying to push. Tech is also charging 10 bucks per person over the age of 18... UNT should just make it free to everyone. Use this as a way for the coaches to go out in force in the surround areas around Frisco, meet with the coaches and players and give out tickets, that's 1 way to improve relates, heck even give ticket to other areas like here in Denton as well. We don't have to pack the stadium, yes we should and yes that would be great, but just exposing recruits and getting them interested is the first step. I'd also leave an impression to invite or even film some stuff about the behind the scenes of The Star.

Free means the athletic department has no chance in recovering any of the costs. No one here knows how much it'll cost to bus the players, equipment, and staff from Denton to Frisco on top of whatever it costs to rent the facility. Again, spending someone else's money is easy; making and staying to that budget is a whole different ball of wax.

Give out tickets for what? Also, you say get the coaches out and around Frisco? Shouldn't they be reviewing practice and scrimmage video to try correct bad form and stuff like that? You make it sound like as soon as practice is over they have nothing to work on.

You're so hung up on "getting out in front of recruits" when that already happens up in Denton anyway. Getting a couple miles "closer" won't have the impact you think it will.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, Huff said:

The only positive that I can see about playing or having a scrimmage at The Star would be that it would attract people who go to the event just to see the facility.   We might expose some people to North Texas football who otherwise would not ever see a scrimmage or a game.

Yes people would come for the facility, but it would also be a way for UNT to market it to fans along with recruits. Along with WB wanting to do a caravan of the staff(I'm assuming) and himself(assuming as well), would be a great place to showcase the staff to alumni or even coaches

It may be a good move for Tech, which has thousands of alumni in the area that wouldn't travel to Lubbock for a spring game.   However, they are undoubtable spending a lot of money and I doubt it is is very cost effective.

Although, it would be much cheaper for NT; I don't see much benefit.    Most alumni in the area can get to Denton as easy or easier than Frisco.  Overall, there would probably be a lot more fans like students and Dentonites that wouldn't make the trip than people who would not go to Denton but would be lured by the Star.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

It may be a good move for Tech, which has thousands of alumni in the area that wouldn't travel to Lubbock for a spring game.   However, they are undoubtable spending a lot of money and I doubt it is is very cost effective.

Although, it would be much cheaper for NT; I don't see much benefit.    Most alumni in the area can get to Denton as easy or easier than Frisco.  Overall, there would probably be a lot more fans like students and Dentonites that wouldn't make the trip than people who would not go to Denton but would be lured by the Star.

It would not be asking too much to "try" something like this. And here's a crazy thought, have your spring practice on a weekend in talent rich Desoto or in Aledo. Just two years ago, a kid from Aledo HS, coming off yet another TX HS championship, was quoted as saying something like  "I didn't even know North Texas played at the highest level..."

Maybe a spring practice to a hotbed within an hour of so of campus might be worth it. If not, go back to our current strategy.

• Downvote 2

18 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

If anyone listens to The Fan, they're talking about Tech playing at the Star. Missed opportunity to have your name in something "different". 

I would hope UNT fans would support the radio station that heavily supports it, The Ticket.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 2/11/2017 at 8:27 AM, untjim1995 said:

It would not be asking too much to "try" something like this. And here's a crazy thought, have your spring practice on a weekend in talent rich Desoto or in Aledo. Just two years ago, a kid from Aledo HS, coming off yet another TX HS championship, was quoted as saying something like  "I didn't even know North Texas played at the highest level..."

Maybe a spring practice to a hotbed within an hour of so of campus might be worth it. If not, go back to our current strategy.

By all means, let NT scrimmage at any high school within 50 miles who has a great football program.   Southlake, Trinity, Desoto, Aledo, Allen, etc.   I am not sure why you think any high school player is going to want to see a NT football practice.  

Football camps if still allowed, are the way to reach out to those players.  Or how about old fashioned recruiting with an internet twist.   

10 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

By all means, let NT scrimmage at any high school within 50 miles who has a great football program.   Southlake, Trinity, Desoto, Aledo, Allen, etc.   I am not sure why you think any high school player is going to want to see a NT football practice.  

Football camps if still allowed, are the way to reach out to those players.  Or how about old fashioned recruiting with an internet twist.   

I am not sure what to say to this...I mean, if you think that a HS recruit wouldn't be interested in watching a team practice and see what they might be getting themselves into, then I'm not sure this discussion has much more purpose to it, at least from my angle.

• Downvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2017 at 9:21 AM, UNTLifer said:

Let's hold a practice at Cedar Hill this year.  We could get in front of some great athletes and piss off SMU in the process since they hired McGuire.

I don't think a spring scrimmage is a bad idea at certain areas.  The only problem is getting the kids from those schools or surrounding area's to drop what they're doing on a Saturday (Probably at a track meet) to go to a Scrimmage.  

Edited by GMG24