T.Tech spring football game

wardly

I don't recall who pointed this out in a previous post,but "Why not North Texas?" I may be a little fuzzy on specifics, but I think UNT is paying the Cowboys $1 million to be a "sponsor " at the Star in Frisco, [our campus is across the street]yet Texas Tech schedules their spring game there. What a great idea! What a great opportunity [missed]for exposure in the Metroplex.Where is the leadership in our Athletic Department? All I have seen our new AD accomplish is a home and home with Tech in 10 years and bring in more management to what appears to be a somewhat bloated department. In fact, where is the leadership at UNT to allow us to get smoked on this excellent marking move by Tech, when we are a $1 million "sponsor"? For all you old timers, I believe it was Pogo in the comics who said "I have met the enemy and he is us."

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Texas Tech is having a spring day there, essentially a scrimmage (like they have in Midland each year) prior to the official spring game, the spring game is still in Lubbock. These 3 are held on consecutive Saturdays and it seems to me that spring football should be more about getting better than getting out there. Maybe that is part of the reason this will likely be Kliff's last year in Lubbock.

Plans are in the works for Texas Tech to have a spring football session this year at The Star, the Dallas Cowboys’ newly opened headquarters and practice facility in Frisco, A-J Media has learned.

The Red Raiders also will hold a scrimmage in Midland for the fifth year in a row, a source said, and play a night spring game at Jones AT&T Stadium. The three events would take place on consecutive Saturdays.

The tentative times and dates are 1 p.m. March 25 at Grande Communications Stadium in Midland, 3 p.m. April 1 at The Star in Frisco and 6 or 6:30 p.m. April 8 at Jones AT&T Stadium. The times are subject to change. The Tech baseball team hosts Baylor at 2 p.m. April 8, and Tech officials want to schedule the spring football game at a time fans can attend both, one after the other.

Our partnership with the Cowboys goes beyond the Star. I doubt very seriously that Tech having a scrimmage in Frisco is going to put more eyes on them than our advertising with the Cowboys. Frisco is close enough to where it makes almost no sense to have a scrimmage there. Tech however, saves some of their fans a 5 hour drive. It would make more sense for us to have a scrimmage in Houston, San Antonio, Midland/Odessa, or Tyler/Longview than 30-40 minutes down the road.

With every home game, with every win, the premier football franchise and its magical season bring more support and attention to the team’s exclusive new higher education partner — the University of North Texas.

Re

Terms

UNT and the Cowboys agreed to team up earlier this year, but declined to release copies of the contract sealing the deal. The Star-Telegram received a copy of the contract more than two months after filing a Freedom of Information request for the document.

The initial contract between UNT and Frisco Management LP runs through mid-2018, but can be renewed through 2024.

Here’s a look at some of the partnership details:

▪ UNT, which now has the exclusive use of the “proud partner of the Dallas Cowboys” title, will have one appearance by a Dallas Cowboys key executive for at least two hours during four separate events each year.

▪ UNT and the Cowboys will develop an Academic Learning and Internship Program in which university and team officials work with students in areas likely ranging from broadcast journalism and hospitality to digital retailing and sports medicine. Students, particularly those at UNT’s New College at Frisco, will hear from Cowboys speakers and receive tours of the team headquarters at The Ford Center at the Star in Frisco as well as at AT&T Stadium, where the team plays games in Arlington.

THE DALLAS COWBOYS TAKE ON THE BALTIMORE RAVENS AT NOON SUNDAY, NOV. 20.

▪ UNT may host up to 25 guests in the luxury practice suite at the Dallas Cowboys training facility and executive offices for one event each year. That annual event, which includes food and non-alcoholic beverages, will include a tour of the Cowboys training facility and executive offices.

▪ The college is mentioned on the Jason Garrett show and Vaqueros de Dallas, as well as in radio commercials and on billboards during and after each Cowboys game. Ads are in English and Spanish. UNT also receives a full-page ad in each Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine Game Day publication.

▪ UNT will be advertised on LED banner boards, marquee signs and more at the Star and the stadium.

▪ The college becomes the first-down brand for a quarter of every pre-season game the Cowboys broadcast.

▪ UNT receives four club seat tickets and three club parking passes to each pre- and regular season home game, but must buy these tickets for any post season games played in Arlington.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, wardly said:

I don't recall who pointed this out in a previous post,but "Why not North Texas?" I may be a little fuzzy on specifics, but I think UNT is paying the Cowboys $1 million to be a "sponsor " at the Star in Frisco, [our campus is across the street]yet Texas Tech schedules their spring game there. What a great idea! What a great opportunity [missed]for exposure in the Metroplex.Where is the leadership in our Athletic Department? All I have seen our new AD accomplish is a home and home with Tech in 10 years and bring in more management to what appears to be a somewhat bloated department. In fact, where is the leadership at UNT to allow us to get smoked on this excellent marking move by Tech, when we are a $1 million "sponsor"? For all you old timers, I believe it was Pogo in the comics who said "I have met the enemy and he is us."

"Why Not North Texas" was the quote I heard uttered by KTCK 1310 "The Ticket's" Norm Hitzghes when we first opened Apogee Stadium.  The stadium was getting rave reviews from all who toured it including ex Cowboys Super Scout Gil Brandt, an acting president of the Big 12 who said we got one helluva' stadium for the price; and then sportswriter ?   Gosling (sp?) of the Dallas Morning News and the list goes on.   

Norm also said North Texas could be the next Boise State which kinda' hurts since they started out as a truck driving trade school (as I read somewhere on the MWC board) and (of course) the Broncos were in the Big West with our dear old alma mater. 

Texas Tech is a great school albeit located away from Texas urban centers.  Since 1956 I think the only conference title they ever came close to was tying for the SWC with 1 or 2 other schools. I stand to be corrected if there were others.  Hard to believe with all the fine athletes they've had.  I don't think they have really been that successful with getting the better black athletes into Lubbock which is probably a big reason for the dearth of conference championships. 

As much as we old nesters complain about our glorious past, I still think if North Texas can just get all the planets in alignment that very special things could happen & on a much higher profile, too.  Our Location will help that to happen if we can just start selling our product. 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

6 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

"Why Not North Texas" was the quote I heard uttered by KTCK 1310 "The Ticket's" Norm Hitzghes when we first opened Apogee Stadium.  The stadium was getting rave reviews from all who toured it including ex Cowboys Super Scout Gil Brandt, an acting president of the Big 12,   Gosling (sp?) of the Dallas Morning News and the list goes on.   

Norm also said North Texas could be the next Boise State which kinda' hurts since they started out as a truck driving trade school (as I read somewhere on the MWC board) and (of course) the Broncos were in the Big West with our dear old alma mater. 

Texas Tech is a great school albeit located away from Texas urban centers.  Since 1956 I think the only conference title they ever came close to was tying for the SWC with 1 or 2 other schools. I stand to be corrected if there were others.  Hard to believe with all the fine athletes they've had.  I don't think they have really been that successful with getting the better black athletes into Lubbock which is probably a big reason for the dearth of conference championships. 

As much as we old nesters complain about our glorious past, I still think if North Texas can just get all the planets in alignment that very special things could happen & on a much higher profile, too.  Our Location will help that to happen if we can just start selling our product. 

I believe they were co-champs in '08 when they beat Texas on the Crabtree catch and then went on to get blown out by OU(who was beaten by Texas). 3 1-loss teams and OU got the bowl nod because they were ranked highest.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Our partnership with the Cowboys goes beyond the Star. I doubt very seriously that Tech having a scrimmage in Frisco is going to put more eyes on them than our advertising with the Cowboys. Frisco is close enough to where it makes almost no sense to have a scrimmage there. Tech however, saves some of their fans a 5 hour drive. It would make more sense for us to have a scrimmage in Houston, San Antonio, Midland/Odessa, or Tyler/Longview than 30-40 minutes down the road.

Yes!!! If NT were to follow Tech's lead we'd have a scrimmage in another part of TX versus what is essentially "across town".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I, for one, do not want UNT's Spring Game played anywhere other than Apogee.  I want UNT to work on making our spring game an "event" that is a must attend for fans.  Make it a  really family friendly fun event with lots of various activities surrounding the game. 

I know Tech has a presence in the Metroplex and wants to recruit the area, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they would want to move their spring game to the Metroplex and out of Lubbock.  A practice...a scrimmage....I get that for sure...but, the Spring Game? 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

I, for one, do not want UNT's Spring Game played anywhere other than Apogee.  I want UNT to work on making our spring game an "event" that is a must attend for fans.  Make it a  really family friendly fun event with lots of various activities surrounding the game. 

I know Tech has a presence in the Metroplex and wants to recruit the area, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they would want to move their spring game to the Metroplex and out of Lubbock.  A practice...a scrimmage....I get that for sure...but, the Spring Game? 

Their "spring game" is still in Lubbock. They have "spring scrimmages" the 2 prior Saturdays in Frisco and Midland. I don't want the official Spring Game moved from Denton either.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

Their "spring game" is still in Lubbock. They have "spring scrimmages" the 2 prior Saturdays in Frisco and Midland. I don't want the official Spring Game moved from Denton either.

Article in Dallas Morning News indicates that the actual Spring Game will be played at the Star.  Originally, I thought it was a scrimmage as well, but this article today seemed to indicate the actual game will be played at the Star....could be wrong.

Maybe you are right, that we gain nothing from playing in Ford Stadium. However, it appears to the biggest opportunity to increase our fan base is in Dallas and Ft. Worth, not Denton. Perhaps a better venue for our spring game would be the football stadium at UTA, assuming it is still standing. Just trying to think outside the box, as regarding ticket sales and increased attendance what we are doing is not working.Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

5 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Article in Dallas Morning News indicates that the actual Spring Game will be played at the Star.  Originally, I thought it was a scrimmage as well, but this article today seemed to indicate the actual game will be played at the Star....could be wrong.

From the horse himself.

http://www.texastech.com/news/2016/2/3/Texas_Tech_Announces_Spring_Football_Game_Spring_Practice_Dates.aspx

I think the article just says a spring football game, not THE spring football game.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, wardly said:

Maybe you are right, that we gain nothing from playing in Ford Stadium. However, it appears to the biggest opportunity to increase our fan base is in Dallas and Ft. Worth, not Denton. Perhaps a better venue for our spring game would be the football stadium at UTA, assuming it is still standing. Just trying to think outside the box, as regarding ticket sales and increased attendance what we are doing is not working.Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

Even if you were to get a bunch of Dallas or Fort Worth alumni to attend a spring practice that is closer to them, the challenge is still getting them to come to Denton for an actual game.

Tech doesn't have the attendance challenges we do. Their motivation of having a spring scrimmage at the Star is way different than NT's motivation. Tech is trying to allow more alumni who don't live within a couple hours of their campus a chance to watch their team in person.

The few times I have ever gone to watch a spring practice, you have at best a few dozen people in the stands watching the team. If North Texas is going to rent out a stadium for a spring scrimmage, the attendance better be amazing (meaning several thousand in attendance) otherwise it's a waste of money.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 2

Tech is just having a scrimmage for their Alumni and fans out here, along with using it as way to appeal to the DFW area. Not sure how many people have been to The Star, but this is well worth the chance for Tech to show off.

Yes UNT should do the same thing do practices heck all over DFW, use the Star, heck even go do a practice at the Cotton Bowl.. open it up the public, I beat the Cotton Bowl would love to have another reason to open up and for them to make some $ off parking or snacks.. Even Jerryworld, heck set it up that UNT fans could attend a scrimmage at Jerry World then go over to the Rangers game(depending on when the Spring Sch.) I'm not sure how many others on here have not been to Jerryworld or the star, but I would go just to support UNT...

Then hold the spring game up in Denton, but UNT has to go out and engage Fans and Alumni that are not in Denton and give them a reason to drive up 30 minutes to denton. Honestly, having practices at the star and other spots like the Cotton Bowl, opens up UNT to even more recruits because we are right there. Heck even do something like if you went to the Star or CottonBowl, and you bring in a ticket stub you get into the Spring Game in Denton for Free, or partner with some local denton places that could be like 5 bucks of a dinner or something.

6 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Tech is just having a scrimmage for their Alumni and fans out here, along with using it as way to appeal to the DFW area. Not sure how many people have been to The Star, but this is well worth the chance for Tech to show off.

Yes UNT should do the same thing do practices heck all over DFW, use the Star, heck even go do a practice at the Cotton Bowl.. open it up the public, I beat the Cotton Bowl would love to have another reason to open up and for them to make some $ off parking or snacks.. Even Jerryworld, heck set it up that UNT fans could attend a scrimmage at Jerry World then go over to the Rangers game(depending on when the Spring Sch.) I'm not sure how many others on here have not been to Jerryworld or the star, but I would go just to support UNT...

Then hold the spring game up in Denton, but UNT has to go out and engage Fans and Alumni that are not in Denton and give them a reason to drive up 30 minutes to denton. Honestly, having practices at the star and other spots like the Cotton Bowl, opens up UNT to even more recruits because we are right there. Heck even do something like if you went to the Star or CottonBowl, and you bring in a ticket stub you get into the Spring Game in Denton for Free, or partner with some local denton places that could be like 5 bucks of a dinner or something.

That's a lot of moving around and lost time and added expense just for practices.  I love the concept, but the practicality might leave something to be desired.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

How does holding practices an hour away from our campus open it up to recruits? If someone is really interested in potentially playing for North Texas is going to come to Denton to watch a practice using our own facilities, which is what they'd use 99% of the time anyway.

Before we starting pitching all these great pie in the sky ideas, let's get the numbers up for spring practices in the first place. If you've been to a spring scrimmage you'll have an idea of how outlandish some of these pitches really are.

These are great gimmicks but I don't see how having a practice at any of these locations when we'll never use them (unless we get another Heart of Dallas Bowl invite) ever again during the regular season going to convince a recruit to sign with North Texas.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

How does holding practices an hour away from our campus open it up to recruits? If someone is really interested in potentially playing for North Texas is going to come to Denton to watch a practice using our own facilities, which is what they'd use 99% of the time anyway.

Before we starting pitching all these great pie in the sky ideas, let's get the numbers up for spring practices in the first place. If you've been to a spring scrimmage you'll have an idea of how outlandish some of these pitches really are.

These are great gimmicks but I don't see how having a practice at any of these locations when we'll never use them (unless we get another Heart of Dallas Bowl invite) ever again during the regular season going to convince a recruit to sign with North Texas.

Practicing in Frisco would make it make it closer to a very large and growing community(Frisco)  along with people more included to come because of The Star.. Practicing in the Cotton Bowl would allow a lot more kids in the Dallas Area to come to see them as well.. Along with offering something like bring a ticket stub from The Star or Cotton Bowl, means getting into the Spring Game in denton for free would bring in more players(who get to see the campus then)

The reason we have low numbers at the spring game is 1) look at the record, 2) People don't come up for a regular season games, so why would they for spring? 3) reaching out and showing visiting these areas like Frisco and Dallas, Arlington would allow us to show off to younger players who could come up.. Also, it would give alumni a sense of seeing how the team has developed from the HoD to the local practice to the spring game...

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

Practicing in Frisco would make it make it closer to a very large and growing community(Frisco)  along with people more included to come because of The Star.. Practicing in the Cotton Bowl would allow a lot more kids in the Dallas Area to come to see them as well.. Along with offering something like bring a ticket stub from The Star or Cotton Bowl, means getting into the Spring Game in denton for free would bring in more players(who get to see the campus then)

The reason we have low numbers at the spring game is 1) look at the record, 2) People don't come up for a regular season games, so why would they for spring? 3) reaching out and showing visiting these areas like Frisco and Dallas, Arlington would allow us to show off to younger players who could come up.. Also, it would give alumni a sense of seeing how the team has developed from the HoD to the local practice to the spring game...

The Spring Game is already free.

Are enough people going to attend a spring practice at a different location to make the expense worth it though? That's the question Ren Baker has to wrestle with. It likely costs the school thousands of dollars to use Apogee stadium in that manner versus tens of thousands to rent a stadium for what is basically half a day (not including transportation costs to/from the site).

Even if people are willing to go to Frisco, why are they NOT willing to go to Denton?

I just don't see where there is a benefit to spending tons of money for a practice at a remote location where that money can be spent in other places with a possible higher rate of return. It sounds like a cool idea but in execution it just sounds like a waste of time, money, and effort to move the team around to a bunch of different locations when our practice facilities are just fine.

There is absolutely no certainty that anyone who attends any of the remote practice scrimmages will actually make the trip to Denton for the Spring Game or even buy a ticket to watch a game in the future.

22 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

The Spring Game is already free.

Are enough people going to attend a spring practice at a different location to make the expense worth it though? That's the question Ren Baker has to wrestle with. It likely costs the school thousands of dollars to use Apogee stadium in that manner versus tens of thousands to rent a stadium for what is basically half a day (not including transportation costs to/from the site).

Even if people are willing to go to Frisco, why are they NOT willing to go to Denton?

I just don't see where there is a benefit to spending tons of money for a practice at a remote location where that money can be spent in other places with a possible higher rate of return. It sounds like a cool idea but in execution it just sounds like a waste of time, money, and effort to move the team around to a bunch of different locations when our practice facilities are just fine.

There is absolutely no certainty that anyone who attends any of the remote practice scrimmages will actually make the trip to Denton for the Spring Game or even buy a ticket to watch a game in the future.

UNT is school that needs to invest into Sports... Additional, having UNT come to these areas will serve as a recruitment tool for the school as well. Tech is bringing admin staff to talk to people, along with admissions personal... The costs of practicing at the star and that should be something the school gets in the deal.. UNT can opt out of the deal with the Cowboys.. I'm sure the cowboys would be more than willing to open up the Star if it mean Jerry got another 1 or 2 million from UNT...

And even if it doesn't lead to people going from a remote site to denton, it leads to interest in UNT. It gives us the chance to show to players and coaches the perks and some of the advantages of UNT... People keep saying show off the campus, why not show off the Frisco campus which the school is trying to get more interest in. Its not a major waste of time or anything, because these places are only a bus ride away...

UNT has to stop thinking inside of the box and think outside of it.. Michigan did spring camp over spring break in FL last year, and this year they are going to Italy.. UNT has to find ways for it to stand out, heck some students in denton have no idea about the Frisco campus... UNT has to find ways to show off, and most likely during the Spring/Fall time we won't have the facilities built up to have something to brag about... We still have no idea about the IPF, all we know is it's going to built but no idea where/when/ or anything else... Also, with us doing these remote sites, you can extend offers to kids for summer camps, scholarships, heck even make these stops for the Caravan thing WB posted about on Twitter...

• Upvote 2

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

UNT is school that needs to invest into Sports... Additional, having UNT come to these areas will serve as a recruitment tool for the school as well. Tech is bringing admin staff to talk to people, along with admissions personal... The costs of practicing at the star and that should be something the school gets in the deal.. UNT can opt out of the deal with the Cowboys.. I'm sure the cowboys would be more than willing to open up the Star if it mean Jerry got another 1 or 2 million from UNT...

And even if it doesn't lead to people going from a remote site to denton, it leads to interest in UNT. It gives us the chance to show to players and coaches the perks and some of the advantages of UNT... People keep saying show off the campus, why not show off the Frisco campus which the school is trying to get more interest in. Its not a major waste of time or anything, because these places are only a bus ride away...

UNT has to stop thinking inside of the box and think outside of it.. Michigan did spring camp over spring break in FL last year, and this year they are going to Italy.. UNT has to find ways for it to stand out, heck some students in denton have no idea about the Frisco campus... UNT has to find ways to show off, and most likely during the Spring/Fall time we won't have the facilities built up to have something to brag about... We still have no idea about the IPF, all we know is it's going to built but no idea where/when/ or anything else... Also, with us doing these remote sites, you can extend offers to kids for summer camps, scholarships, heck even make these stops for the Caravan thing WB posted about on Twitter...

I guess it's easy when it's not your money to come up with all these amazing ideas.

I won't be surprised if the NCAA takes a look at what Michigan is doing. They already dropped the hammer on remote HS camps because of the stuff Harbaugh is doing with his program. Meanwhile, I expect Michigan to continue to press the boundaries of the rules.

I have doubts that renting the Star was part of their marketing agreement but if it was, I guess that was great foresight. I still don't see it worth the expense to bus the team somewhere for a few hours of practice.

Holding a practice scrimmage at the Star won't get me to attend, despite it being closer and easier to get to. Unless the school makes practice scrimmages an event (which increases your costs even more, BTW) I doubt attendance will be much to write home about. I just see it right now as a waste.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTFan23 said:

I guess it's easy when it's not your money to come up with all these amazing ideas.

I won't be surprised if the NCAA takes a look at what Michigan is doing. They already dropped the hammer on remote HS camps because of the stuff Harbaugh is doing with his program. Meanwhile, I expect Michigan to continue to press the boundaries of the rules.

I have doubts that renting the Star was part of their marketing agreement but if it was, I guess that was great foresight. I still don't see it worth the expense to bus the team somewhere for a few hours of practice.

Holding a practice scrimmage at the Star won't get me to attend, despite it being closer and easier to get to. Unless the school makes practice scrimmages an event (which increases your costs even more, BTW) I doubt attendance will be much to write home about. I just see it right now as a waste.

As you said it would be closer and easiler, that would lead to UNT being able to show the team to players, coaches, fan, and help show off the UNT-Frisco campus. It most likely isn't in the deal but I would think Jerry is a smart individual and understand if Neal came back and said we won't renew the deal unless we get 1 afternoon practice at the star...

UNT needs to focus and showcase that UNT-Frisco campus, because Frisco is one of the most rapidly growing cities and with UNT expecting to expand, it would be smart to show the UNT-Frisco campus as a local option as well.

We view the "waste" of money differently, a bus ride down to Frisco for these guys to practice at the star would cost lets say 5k, and say another 25k to rent the star, if they couldn't work out something cheaper with the cowboys, that's 30k... 30k for them to market and show off the UNT-Campus in Frisco, bring in fans that wouldn't drive up to Denton for a practice.. but then UNT could easily have other local sponsors kick in as well to offset that 30k... 30k yes seems pricey but its easy to drop that with other sponsors, and heck if we get 1 additional student to come to UNT because of it , we still comes out ahead...

31 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The Frisco campus is in an office park.  Its a nice office park, but still just using office space at this time....  Have you done a financial analysis that can be presented to WB and staff?  If the numbers are real, then I say go for it....but you cant just do something thinking it will be cool and should work....  Other than that....would be cool

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, @UNTSportsFan said:

$10 to watch a practice scrimmage. I wonder if North Texas fans would be willing to pay that much and would we be able to bring maybe half of what Tech will likely bring.

• Downvote 2