So there's a state hiring freeze on?

oldguystudent

5 hours ago, Cerebus said:

No.  Athletics jobs are not paid out of state monies.  

Are we sure about this? I don't think the salaries of AD employees would show up as part of the state employee registry if that is wasn't where their money is coming from. 

For the record, I meant to post this in the basketball forum.  I thought somebody deleted it for being political.  I'm not a clever man sometimes. 

This suggests that football coaches are state employees, and that tells me that they would fall under the umbrella of the hiring freeze.  I would then make the logical leap that basketball coaches would be the same. 

Then again:

Abbott’s budget director Steven Albright said agencies may obtain a waiver from the governor’s office “on a case-by-case basis.”

Edited by oldguystudent

Texas doesn't fund education like it used to, only about 20% of NT's budget is state dollars. When I first came to school in the 90s it was more like 75%.

Postings are still being made for jobs that are not state money.   

ETA: Just because you draw a paycheck from NT (and show up on that TexTrib list), that doesn't mean you are paid from state money.

Plenty of positions are paid from local (tuition, fee, etc) or Federal funds.

4 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Texas doesn't fund education like it used to, only about 20% of NT's budget is state dollars. When I first came to school in the 90s it was more like 75%.

Postings are still being made for jobs that are not state money.   

ETA: Just because you draw a paycheck from NT (and show up on that TexTrib list), that doesn't mean you are paid from state money.

Plenty of positions are paid from local (tuition, fee, etc) or Federal funds.

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

19 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Just learned of this.  Imposed by Greg Abbott.  UNT had to delete 30 job postings because of it. 

Does this uh, potentially leave us with a basketball coaching vacancy in perpetuity? 

Were those postings new positions or back-fills for existing positions?  Many times a freeze is for expanding the footprint rather than freezing out the replacement of an existing/budgeted position.   For example, if President Smatresk resigned tomorrow, it seems odd that UNT would be prevented from hiring a replacement.  Perhaps the freeze simply requires a re-justification of the back-fill positions which may not be a bad thing and fairly easy in most circumstances.

42 minutes ago, keith said:

Were those postings new positions or back-fills for existing positions? 

For all positions paid out of state money, new or already existing.  Luckily, it was clarified that those positions with offers already out would be allowed to be filled, it would have created a couple of weird situations.

College of Arts and Sciences is being split into College of Science (CoS) and College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS).  There is a lot of creative book keeping going on  to make sure the new CoS is fully staffed by fall.