Ten Year Reunion

CMJ

One of my favorite teams.  Had a great time at the conference tournament in Lafayette.   Jones' record before this year was 1-4 in the Belt tournaments.  Without the spirit groups, there were less than 20 NT fans until the final.  Maybe 50 NT supporters showed up for the finals.  ULaLa had been eliminated in the first round the week before by NT, as the first round games were at the home court of the top seeded teams.   I think this tournament's poor attendance was a key in moving the tournament to a neutral site.   

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

One of my favorite teams.  Had a great time at the conference tournament in Lafayette.   Jones' record before this year was 1-4 in the Belt tournaments.  Without the spirit groups, there were less than 20 NT fans until the final.  Maybe 50 NT supporters showed up for the finals.  ULaLa had been eliminated in the first round the week before by NT, as the first round games were at the home court of the top seeded teams.   I think this tournament's poor attendance was a key in moving the tournament to a neutral site.   

We had no idea how terrible the overall attendance had been when my brother and I showed up for that final. 

I remember trying to ask the guy at the ticket table to sell us a pair that would put us near the North Texas bench... He just laughed out loud, sold us the first two tickets on the pile, and said "I'm pretty sure you boys can sit just about wherever you want". And he was right, because I want to say we were maybe 15 or 20 rows from the floor, and only that far up because we didn't want to take someone else's seats by accident. 

Fun bunch to watch.  Will be good to see the ones that return for the reunion.  The announced attendance for the last men's home game against Rice was in excess of 2100.  And, by seeing the crowd in person, that number seems about right.  Was really surprised at the turnout...lacking anything in the way of a student turnout however.  Here's hoping that more will show up in support of this team's 10th anniversary.  Sometimes, it is OK to put aside personal prejudices and just come celebrate and support a bunch of good guys.

Edit: So maybe some folks cannot put aside their prejudices to support one of UNT's better teams at their 10th anniversary.  Fair enough, but too bad...these guys did leave it all on the court for their team and the fans.  Just thought some folks might want to help repay them in some small way.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

54 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

We had no idea how terrible the overall attendance had been when my brother and I showed up for that final. 

I remember trying to ask the guy at the ticket table to sell us a pair that would put us near the North Texas bench... He just laughed out loud, sold us the first two tickets on the pile, and said "I'm pretty sure you boys can sit just about wherever you want". And he was right, because I want to say we were maybe 15 or 20 rows from the floor, and only that far up because we didn't want to take someone else's seats by accident. 

image.png.4802f99d423dbe42ed785414fbfd03a6.png

Fun Times!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

ntex-aa-header1-13.jpg

10-Year Reunion Set For 2007 Men’s Basketball Champs

2007 Sun Belt Title Team To Be Honored At Feb. 18 Home Game

12419891.jpeg

Feb. 8, 2017

DENTON – The Mean Green will celebrate the 10-year anniversary of the 2007 men’s basketball team, which captured the Sun Belt Conference Tournament championship and earned an NCAA Tournament automatic bid, on Saturday, Feb. 18, when North Texas plays Texas San Antonio at the Super Pit. Game time is set for 3 p.m.

The 2006-07 Mean Green championship squad set a then-school record with 23 victories, winning the 2007 Sun Belt Tournament to punch its ticket to the NCAA Tournament. Calvin Watson was named the Sun Belt Tournament MVP and Ben Bell was named to the all-tournament team. This year, Watson was named to the North Texas Athletics Hall of Fame.

In the NCAA Tournament, North Texas faced the No. 5 team in the nation, Memphis. The Mean Green stayed close through the first half before falling to the Tigers, who advanced to the Elite Eight.

The 2007 team will be recognized at halftime. Discount ticket pricing is available for all basketball letterwinners to come out and support one of the three teams in school history to earn a trip to the men’s NCAA Tournament.

2006-07 Men's Basketball Roster

NO

NAME

POS

HT

WT

YEAR

HOMETOWN

LAST SCHOOL

Ben Bell

G

6-3

JR

Irving, TX

San Jacinto CC

Keith Wooden

F

6-9

JR

Lawrence, KS

Arizona State

Collin Dennis

G

6-2

JR

North Richland Hills, TX

South Florida

Jared Ruffin

G

6-0

SR

Omaha, NE

Creighton Prep

Michael Sturns

G

6-4

JR

Fort Worth, TX

North Crowley HS

Kendrick Davis

G

6-4

SR

Houston

Arkansas

Rich Young

G/F

6-5

SR

Farrell, PA

Eastern Oklahoma State College

Chris Higgs

G

6-1

SO

Sanger, TX

Sanger HS

Harold Edwards

F

6-6

SO

Mobile, AL

LeFlore HS

Collin Mangrum

G

6-4

FR

Howe, TX

Howe HS

Harold Stewart

F

6-8

SO

Ft. Worth, TX

Crowley HS

Jonathan Jackson

F/C

6-8

JR

Portland, OR

Mineral Area College (MO)

Andrew Reinking

G

6-4

FR

Austin, TX

Austin HS

Quincy Williams

F

6-8

JR

Forest Park, OK

Carl Albert HS

Calvin Watson

G

6-5

SR

Houston

Madison HS

Justin Howerton

C

6-10

SO

Howe, TX

Howe HS

Coaches

Johnny Jones - Head Coach

Charlie Leonard - Assistant Coach

Chuck Taylor - Assistant Coach

Bill Foy - Assistant Coach

To unsubscribe from future messages of this type, click here.
To unsubscribe from all future messages from meangreensports.com, click here.
Your confidence and trust are important to us. Please review our Privacy Policy.
CBSi Advanced Media - 2035 Corte del Nogal, Suite 250 - Carlsbad, CA 92011 ?arg=126873.CKJ5Cbckx1py718O
ntex-partner-footer1-2013.jpg