Man Cave stuff!

North Texas Shep

"Memories are made of this."  (part of a Dean Martin hit song lyric)  from the Your Hit Parade golden days of TV.  (Remember Gisele MacKenze)?  All of that era happening B.E. (before Elvis).

Some of my early student days at UNT I lived at 316 Fry Street as the Vietnam war was winding down.  UNT was a true hippy'ville!  First head shop in the region was located on Fry Street.   People's Park was located where the General Academic Building (GAB) is located.  Summer jazz concerts at the park were cool featuring some of the greatest amateur musicians in the world (from the UNTCOM).  There could be around 2,000 students sitting on blankets and foldable patio chairs taking in the music.  One could walk thru the crowd from one end of the crowd to the other and come out a tad high on 2'nd hand pot smoke.  Believe me, it was a different era at our dear old alma mater. I survived it all.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

"Memories are made of this."  (part of a Dean Martin hit song lyric)  from the Your Hit Parade golden days of TV.  (Remember Gisele MacKenze)?  All of that era happening B.E. (before Elvis).

Some of my early student days at UNT I lived at 316 Fry Street as the Vietnam war was winding down.  UNT was a true hippy'ville!  First head shop in the region was located on Fry Street.   People's Park was located where the General Academic Building (GAB) is located.  Summer jazz concerts at the park were cool featuring some of the greatest amateur musicians in the world (from the UNTCOM).  There could be around 2,000 students sitting on blankets and foldable patio chairs taking in the music.  One could walk thru the crowd from one end of the crowd to the other and come out a tad high on 2'nd hand pot smoke.  Believe me, it was a different era at our dear old alma mater. I survived it all.

GMG!

That sounds like a great time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

I've never tried the Maytag Competition Washing Machine Lid.  Cafeteria trays were always so available.  In high school we got the hood off an old car and had the poor man's bob sled.  I could have gone pro. 

GO MEAN  GREEN

I worked for McNeil's in high school.  Had the opportunity to grab a couple off of old washers.  You didn't happen to take that old car hood, actually a VW Bug front trunk hood, to McKenna Park, did you?  I remember some people bringing one up there on a snowy day.  They lined the inside with old pillows and we loaded up as many an possible in that thing.  It was a blast.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I worked for McNeil's in high school.  Had the opportunity to grab a couple off of old washers.  You didn't happen to take that old car hood, actually a VW Bug front trunk hood, to McKenna Park, did you?  I remember some people bringing one up there on a snowy day.  They lined the inside with old pillows and we loaded up as many an possible in that thing.  It was a blast.

I just met Dennis McNeil a month or so ago.  Was he still around when you were there?

Just now, TreeFiddy said:

His family owns McNeil appliance on the square.  Grandparents start it.  Been there 50 something years.  Same McNeil's you worked at?

Wow.  Guess I am getting old.  I worked for his grandparents and was evidently gone before he came along.  I stop in when in Denton if I can, but haven't in abojt two years.  Awesome people and a great store.  Buy from McNeil's!  His Dad must be Steve.  Steve didn't work there when I was there, so I didn't get to know his wife and kids.

16 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Wow.  Guess I am getting old.  I worked for his grandparents and was evidently gone before he came along.  I stop in when in Denton if I can, but haven't in abojt two years.  Awesome people and a great store.  Buy from McNeil's!  His Dad must be Steve.  Steve didn't work there when I was there, so I didn't get to know his wife and kids.

I only heard the story briefly.  I am not sure, but I think he said his dad was Ned, who played at UNT in the late 40's (https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth164056/).  Not sure how he is related to Steve.  Small world.

McNeil's has been there over 75 years.  They celebrated their 50th when I was there in about 82.  Charlie and Virginia McNeil owned it then and their daughter and son-in-law, Steve and Pam Grimes, both worked their along with Charlie's stepmom Gladys.  Their son Steve was not actively involved with the store.  Charlies's father started the business by selling/trading Maytag wringer washers out of his old Model A truck.  Charlie married Virginia, who's family owned Ball Furniture and they combined the businesses and the rest is history.  I think Ned was Charlie's brother but he was not involved, at least when I worked there in the 80's.  Great family and you will never get better service.  I have a million stories from working there.  Love that family and the employees that are like family.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

McNeils has been there over 75 years.  They celebrated their 50th when I was there kn about 82.  Charlie and Virginia McNeil owned it then and their daughter and son-in-law, Steve and Pam Grimes, both worked their along with Charlie's stepmom Gladys.  Their son Steve was not actively involved with the store.  Charlies's father started the business by selling/trading Maytag wringer washers out of his old Model A truck.  Charlie married Virginia, who's family owned Ball Furniture and they combined the businesses and the rest is history.  I think Ned was Charlie's brother but ne was not involved, at least when I worked there in the 80's.  Great family and you will never get better service.  I have a million stories from working there.  Love that family and the employees that are like family.

Great family!  Bought quite a few appliances from them over the years...locally owned, friendly, knowledgeable, stand behind their products and have a great service dept.. Made a house call on a dishwasher I bought from them once that wouldn't drain.  Guy came out, took his finger and move a part around and BINGO...fixed.  Showed me how to do it in case it happened again (never has), and did not even charge me a dime!  Just an example of how these folks took care of their customers.  Perfect example of how to run a business.

As I recall, they used the old post office downtown as a warehouse facility.  I remember choosing not to have them deliver a microwave for me once, and I think I just drove over to the old post office and they put it in my car for me.  

• Upvote 2

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:38 PM, North Texas Shep said:

Just a few of the badass things I got for my man cave (That does not exist yet). My buddy got some for me at Surplus. Others I got there. Pretty sure I never shared till now...

image.jpg

What's the name on the back of the 90 Jersey? 

54 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Great family!  Bought quite a few appliances from them over the years...locally owned, friendly, knowledgeable, stand behind their products and have a great service dept.. Made a house call on a dishwasher I bought from them once that wouldn't drain.  Guy came out, took his finger and move a part around and BINGO...fixed.  Showed me how to do it in case it happened again (never has), and did not even charge me a dime!  Just an example of how these folks took care of their customers.  Perfect example of how to run a business.

As I recall, they used the old post office downtown as a warehouse facility.  I remember choosing not to have them deliver a microwave for me once, and I think I just drove over to the old post office and they put it in my car for me.  

All true.  I learned more about taking care of customers from them than anyone.  I still call them for advice when I have an issue at home.

The post office is there warehouse.  There are hallways in the attic painted black that have "lookouts" in certain areas.  I guess the postal inspectors spied on their employees.

One of my favorite stories from working there happened right after I started.  In the back of the store was a 4' x 8' piece of plywood with nails about 3 inches apart all over it.  Hanging from the nails were keys, probably thousands.  I asked someone what all the keys were for and they said, "Oh, those are the keys to some of our customers homes.  They just call up, tell Mrs. McNeil what they need, and we deliver it out to their house."  We delivered to many a house where nobody was home.  That was the trust they had with their clients.  I'm telling you, pay a little more and buy local from McNeil's.  They are the best.

Okay, enough memory lane.  I would love to get up to the surplus sale some day.  That place looks like a fun spot to dig around in.

• Upvote 1

Yeah.  We went down the hill next to McKenna Park.  Hillcrest I think.  The pillows were to keep from getting burned on the metal. Who in high school knew that scraping a car hood on ice/asphalt would get hot.  Really hot.  I skied down the old Flow Hospital hill as well.  Not too much snow.  Lots of rocks causing lots of sparks at night.  I guess I should have told my friend how the bottom of his skis got so scratched. 

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 1