MGB: Thoughts on where UNT could turn for new OL coach

Brett Vito

The UNT recruits list on the below link from BV's DRC article where it reads as... public comments.  Anyway, that list had us with more 3 star recruits than I previously thought.  

One 2 star offensive linemen was a Dave Campbell's Texas Football pre-season 1'st team all state albeit he finished on a lower all state team.  You have to think he could well be "coached up" to a quality college football offensive lineman. 

Our new offensive line coach "MUST" be a Texas HS recruitinator delux!   He will have a great school, great athletic venue in the Mean Green Village & hate to sound sexists, but there are 30,000 Co-Eds in Denton, Texas, America.  Not many other college towns in the Lone Star State can equal or come close to that.  Note:  Crosstown Texas Womens U now has 15,000 plus students. Never knew their enrollment had grown that large. 

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20170202-football-with-full-prep-time-littrell-addresses-unt-needs.ece?_ga=1.261366664.482929033.1486334287

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

"UNT could potentially land an assistant at a Sun Belt-level school looking to move up".

Land an assistant from an SBC school??? WTF?  We should be going after the top head offensive line coach in the SBC!!! Not the assistant!  Damn!!  When are we going get beyond that kind of thinking at NT?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

"UNT could potentially land an assistant at a Sun Belt-level school looking to move up".

Land an assistant from an SBC school??? WTF?  We should be going after the top head offensive line coach in the SBC!!! Not the assistant!  Damn!!  When are we going get beyond that kind of thinking at NT?

Just to be clear, the top o-line coach in the belt would be... An assistant coach on that team, right? 

5 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Just to be clear, the top o-line coach in the belt would be... An assistant coach on that team, right? 

No he's saying we should be hiring Everett Withers to be our offensive line coach. You need to get out of your small ambition line of thinking. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

No he's saying we should be hiring Everett Withers to be our offensive line coach. You need to get out of your small ambition line of thinking. 

The important thing is that we snap to immediate, intense, irrational anger. 

I hadn't considered Victor Gill. He played LT at a first team all conference level in Todd Dodge's pass-heavy system after being moved from tight end. He actually wouldn't be a bad get. He definitely knows the technique and how to play above your weight (I don't think he ever got above 265).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm not completely sold on former players with zero coaching experience just because of their successful playing careers and ties to the school.

I see it all the time in the arts: people with incredible talent/ability will sometimes relate less as much to those around them, and do not know how to coach them up.

I'm not saying it can't work, but I think zero coaching experience is a big red flag and a risk we need to think about.

• Upvote 7

37 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I'm not completely sold on former players with zero coaching experience just because of their successful playing careers and ties to the school.

I see it all the time in the arts: people with incredible talent/ability will sometimes relate less as much to those around them, and do not know how to coach them up.

I'm not saying it can't work, but I think zero coaching experience is a big red flag and a risk we need to think about.

Well that's true.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

That's very true . . . just not sure how it applies to Victor Gill.  He was an overachiever.

• Upvote 2

If it were up to me its between Hays or Adkins... Hays has been in Texas for 20 years, and all over the state, and with him coaching twice in Houston that is a major plus with us losing Davis who seemed to be one of the coaches that recruited Houston. Adkins has been a top 10 recruiter in the Big12 recently(in 2016), along with his history in the SEC and NFL.

I would say neither coach is a bad choice, but I would most likely be looking at Adkins because he has "ranked" higher on the recruiting end, but Hays is someone that could really help this staff establish itself within the state during 2017/2018.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, greenminer said:

Gill does have some coaching experience.  He as a grad assistant here and then moved to Texas as a grad assistant.  So he has been coaching for the past 3 years.  

• Upvote 2

I would love to see Andy Brewster contacted.  I don't know if he is a fit, but he is an alum, loves the school, has experience on the JUCO level and would be an ambassador to UNT with connections all over west Texas.  He may not be ready for the position, but I would like to see him considered.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I would love to see Andy Brewster contacted.  I don't know if he is a fit, but he is an alum, loves the school, has experience on the JUCO level and would be an ambassador to UNT with connections all over west Texas.  He may not be ready for the position, but I would like to see him considered.

If he can't help the team win, NOW, I don't want him considered... as awesome a player he was.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I thought he had decided to move on from coaching. I was thinking maybe he said that during the spring game while in the booth with Dave and Hank.

• Upvote 1

I have already mentioned the OL coach at Sam Houston, http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205385951.  He is a little older, but has a history with Air Raid OL.

Another name that might be worth keeping an eye on is Brad Bedell at Lamar.  He just got hired at Lamar, so not sure if he would be willing to leave, but he is a former All American in college, played briefly in NFL, and has stops as the OL coach at Northern Colorado, UC Davis, New Mexico State, Arky State, Texas State, and Baylor.

• Upvote 1

I tend to favor trying to lure "Lefty" back to Denton if that is possible. And here is why. If, (as someone has mentioned), he is a good recruiter, then he could not only use his Texas connections to recruit, but he can also use his previous experience(s) coaching here to counter all the negative stuff that our opponents say about us. More than any other coach that has been here he can tell a recruit "believe me son, this is NOT the same North Texas. I know, because I've been here a couple of times" 

• Upvote 3

To state it bluntly, not a time for a project hire.

We have to counter the Lone Star State recruiting shellacking we've gotten & that  long  before Seth Littrell's 1 year in Denton.  We have a marketable package to sell.  Get the multi-star stars in Littrell's penthouse office over-looking the best damn looking football stadium in CUSA & let him work his quiet psychology we all saw him use on the BTG TV series & let's see some different results unseen in years at UNT.  You can't sign 3, 4 or 5 star recruits unless you get them on campus first.  ➡️ Fry said if he could just get them on our campus he could sign a wagon full of them.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Since we're all just throwing darts, here's this guy:

Matt Moore, current Troy OL coach and Co-OC.

• Troy runs Air Raid.
  • Played for Leach in the 90s
  • Coached with Leach when Graham Harrell was a player
  • Coached at LT and MTSU

So he's got plenty of mid major and P5 experience.

http://www.troytrojans.com/coaches.aspx?rc=934&path=football

• Upvote 2