Johnny Jones?

Wag Tag

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Would you bring him back? Contract through 2019 at $1.5 a year. I would like to see a younger coach myself!

No. No post season wins. No wins vs top 25 ranked. No regular season conference championships. Just no. Tried it, time for a fresh start.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, UNT94 said:

No. No post season wins. No wins vs top 25 ranked. No regular season conference championships. Just no. Tried it, time for a fresh start.

We actually had a regular season conference championship in 2010. 

Which Top 25 team that we played during his tenure do you feel we should have beaten? It's not like he can't win those games, because he's won six games against top 25 teams since leaving here. Please let me know which Top 25 opponent you feel we should have beaten during his time here. 

I'm not saying we should rehire him, but we don't need to shit on the run of success we had under him. Because odds are, I'm going to die before we ever see another run like what he gave us. 

I have stated my support for JJ in other threads. The man can coach. He left us in great shape to pursue his dream job at his alma mater...I cannot fault him. Now he is a little longer in the tooth but he could still be very effective. To quote Tasty, "I'm not saying we should rehire him, but we don't need to shit on the run of success we had under him. Because odds are, I'm going to die before we ever see another run like what he gave us."

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

We actually had a regular season conference championship in 2010. 

Which Top 25 team that we played during his tenure do you feel we should have beaten? It's not like he can't win those games, because he's won six games against top 25 teams since leaving here. Please let me know which Top 25 opponent you feel we should have beaten during his time here. 

I'm not saying we should rehire him, but we don't need to shit on the run of success we had under him. Because odds are, I'm going to die before we ever see another run like what he gave us. 

Co-Championship....not an outright championship.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

36 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

2016-2017 Conference Record

Benford       0-10 (CUSA)

Jones           1-9  (SEC)

Advantage Jones.

Gap is not wide enough for me.

Yeah, this is a lousy year for them, and that's why he's getting fired. But this is the first time in his LSU career that they'll (almost certainly) finish below .500 against the SEC. 

And, Jones has more wins against Top 25 teams as Benford does road wins (against ANYONE) since 2014. 

Again, why do we need to diminish the guy just because we probably won't and shouldn't hire him back here? 

52 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Co-Championship....not an outright championship.

Only because the tiebreaker system was absolutely absurd. 

Who won the east? Troy. Who won the west? Us. Who won the only head-to-head regular season game between the two? Us. 

But somehow, Middle Tennessee tying for the East division meant we didn't get the outright championship. Because, reasons. Thanks, Sun Belt. 

2 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Yeah, this is a lousy year for them, and that's why he's getting fired. But this is the first time in his LSU career that they'll (almost certainly) finish below .500 against the SEC. 

And, Jones has more wins against Top 25 teams as Benford does road wins (against ANYONE) since 2014. 

Again, why do we need to diminish the guy just because we probably won't and shouldn't hire him back here? 

Too much street ball/not enough full court press in this response. 

Perhaps the better question...why would he want to come back? He built a quality program from absolute crap only to see it burned to the damn ground and his work go constantly under-appreciated from a delusionally entitled fan base. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

8 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Too much street ball/not enough full court press in this response. 

Perhaps the better question...why would he want to come back? He built a quality program from absolute crap only to see it burned to the damn ground and his work go constantly under-appreciated from a delusionally entitled fan base. 

That's the question. 

I suspect he'll probably take a year or two off, then (if he decides he still wants to coach) hop on at a mid-major in Louisiana or Texas... A Tulane or Lamar type program. Not those specifically, because I think Tulane just hired a coach and Lamar has JJ's old pal Tic Price as their HC. But something in that tier. Maybe Texas State, if they decide to fire Kaspar.

50/50 it's a better program or a better conference (and better money) than what he'd get trying to come back and rebuild this mess again. 

8 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

That's the question. 

I suspect he'll probably take a year or two off, then (if he decides he still wants to coach) hop on at a mid-major in Louisiana or Texas... A Tulane or Lamar type program. Not those specifically, because I think Tulane just hired a coach and Lamar has JJ's old pal Tic Price as their HC. But something in that tier. Maybe Texas State, if they decide to fire Kaspar.

50/50 it's a better program or a better conference (and better money) than what he'd get trying to come back and rebuild this mess again. 

Are you saying Kaspar might be available? Isn't he a UNT alum?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm not saying North Texas and JJ are necessarily the best fit for one another this time around, but I'm a little confused by the assumption that we will do better with an unknown.  Sure, it's possible--just like it's possible that football recruiting services completely misrated CUSA classes and ours is actually the best.  Consider our history of hiring head coaches in the major sports and think about what percentage of them performed better than JJ when he was here.  We are just as likely (if not more) to hire another Benford as we are to end up with someone better than JJ.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Greendylan said:

I'm not saying North Texas and JJ are necessarily the best fit for one another this time around, but I'm a little confused by the assumption that we will do better with an unknown.  Sure, it's possible--just like it's possible that football recruiting services completely misrated CUSA classes and ours is actually the best.  Consider our history of hiring head coaches in the major sports and think about what percentage of them performed better than JJ when he was here.  We are just as likely (if not more) to hire another Benford as we are to end up with someone better than JJ.

I strongly disagree, Benford is one of a kind.   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

In his 5 years he made the NCAA tournament once and lost in the first game. He made the NIT once and was 1-1. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2