Disillusioned

NM Green

3 hours ago, NM Green said:

I am so bummed about UNT right now.  I get psyched up and huddle in front of the TV to watch BYU of the West Coast Conference and Long Beach State vs UC Irvine Big West Basketball and don't even follow my alma mater after football.  So many emotions about this program right now:

1. I feel like Football is on the right track, but I see San Antonio making amazing waves.  So is our football on track and if so will it even be enough to beat the likes of UTSA, La Tech and FAU in the future.

2. Is Wren Baker Rick Villareal?  I don't want to believe so but I don't see the drain the swamp energy I was hoping for - How on earth does Benford still have a job.  How can he touch my great University and be allowed to bludgeon my degree week by week on his way out.

3. My Running Rebels suck, everything North Texas stinks right now in February.  I root on the Cougars of BYU while wondering what happened to my Great University and do they even have a plan.  Rick didn't.  Wren doesn't seem to.  

This upside down state of Mean Green Athletics has just taken its toll.  

Nevertheless. GMG

P.S. - I don't want and am not asking for cheerleaders in Green and White.  I am looking for fearless decision makers, expert communicators and highly visible actions makers.  None of these people except maybe SL seem to be present in Denton right now.  Example, I met a rep from the Texas Legends who has communicated with me often over the past 10 days, got me out to a Texas Legends games and has me signed up for 2 networking events to get involved.  Has anything ever moved that fast in Denton without a 66-7 drubbing and worst loss in college football embarrassment drumming before?  It should be happening every single day to our completely lost thousands of alumni.  I even have trouble encouraging my niece to attend UNT because she wants a cool college experience, which as an athlete includes connection to and involvement of athletics even from a spectator perspective.  That's crazy and definitely a first in my 31 years of being a brand ambassador for this University.  

I feel your pain. Your sentiment is the same for a lot of us out here in the wilderness wondering if UNT will ever be relevant again.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The biggest difference I see right now is that I've heard virtually nothing from Wren Baker since he arrived.  We're used to having a showman at the helm who was always front and center with a mic in his hand.  Wren appears to prefer working behind the scenes.  This can be either a good thing or a bad thing.  I really don't know yet.  

• Upvote 3

On 2/5/2017 at 3:29 AM, NM Green said:

I am so bummed about UNT right now.  I get psyched up and huddle in front of the TV to watch BYU of the West Coast Conference and Long Beach State vs UC Irvine Big West Basketball and don't even follow my alma mater after football.  So many emotions about this program right now:

1. I feel like Football is on the right track, but I see San Antonio making amazing waves.  So is our football on track and if so will it even be enough to beat the likes of UTSA, La Tech and FAU in the future.

2. Is Wren Baker Rick Villareal?  I don't want to believe so but I don't see the drain the swamp energy I was hoping for - How on earth does Benford still have a job.  How can he touch my great University and be allowed to bludgeon my degree week by week on his way out.

3. My Running Rebels suck, everything North Texas stinks right now in February.  I root on the Cougars of BYU while wondering what happened to my Great University and do they even have a plan.  Rick didn't.  Wren doesn't seem to.  

This upside down state of Mean Green Athletics has just taken its toll.  

Nevertheless. GMG

P.S. - I don't want and am not asking for cheerleaders in Green and White.  I am looking for fearless decision makers, expert communicators and highly visible actions makers.  None of these people except maybe SL seem to be present in Denton right now.  Example, I met a rep from the Texas Legends who has communicated with me often over the past 10 days, got me out to a Texas Legends games and has me signed up for 2 networking events to get involved.  Has anything ever moved that fast in Denton without a 66-7 drubbing and worst loss in college football embarrassment drumming before?  It should be happening every single day to our completely lost thousands of alumni.  I even have trouble encouraging my niece to attend UNT because she wants a cool college experience, which as an athlete includes connection to and involvement of athletics even from a spectator perspective.  That's crazy and definitely a first in my 31 years of being a brand ambassador for this University.  

This is the first time in many seasons we haven't been to a basketball game.  Just can't stomach it.  Feel bad on the one hand for Benford because he's a good guy.  But, good guy doesn't translate into wins.  He'll always have work as an assistant somewhere. 

The puzzle to me is Baker.  Like you, I did expect more action sooner. 

However, knowing contracts - and knowing UNT's financial missteps that became very public before Baker got her - it could be that it is just more financially prudent to let old contract expire.

Also, this far into the season.  There's really nothing that can be done.  I'm sure Baker is scouring the region for a new basketball coach.  I think C-USA basketball is a tougher nut to crack than C-USA football.  But, basketball rosters can turn over much more quickly than football rosters.

So, I'm thinking whomever the new coach is, it will take a couple of years - and, by a couple, I do actually mean two - to get it really competitive...it the right hire is made.

If he whiffs the basketball hire and Littrell never gets us past 5 or 6 wins a year, I'll wonder whether or not it's wise to hire an AD without a ton of AD experience.  I'm one foot off, one foot on with Baker.  But, really, had hoped we'd get a more experienced AD when RV left.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

22 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

The biggest difference I see right now is that I've heard virtually nothing from Wren Baker since he arrived.  We're used to having a showman at the helm who was always front and center with a mic in his hand.  Wren appears to prefer working behind the scenes.  This can be either a good thing or a bad thing.  I really don't know yet.  

How'd that work out? RV loved him some RV. I want Wren busy fixing the flaming garbage dump(quite literally according to Trip's report) that RV left this place in. Wren has so far addressed:

1. Re-built Football locker rooms

2. Rebuilt women's BBall locker room

3. Re-built Football meeting rooms.

4. Re-surfaced Warranch Tennis Center

5. Expanded Apogee concessions and beer options

Wren is taking care of the low hanging fruit that can be fixed quickly. He will stick to his word and evaluate(see fire) Benford on or around March 4th. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

22 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

We're used to having a showman at the helm who was always front and center with a mic in his hand. 

796a0714bb9246998b45551833d7a936.jpg Friends, we've got Trouble...right here in Denton City...with a capital T, and that rhymes with B, and that stands for BALL!

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

How'd that work out? RV loved him some RV. I want Wren busy fixing the flaming garbage dump(quite literally according to Trip's report) that RV left this place in. Wren has so far addressed:

1. Re-built Football locker rooms

2. Rebuilt women's BBall locker room

3. Re-built Football meeting rooms.

4. Re-surfaced Warranch Tennis Center

5. Expanded Apogee concessions and beer options

Wren is taking care of the low hanging fruit that can be fixed quickly. He will stick to his word and evaluate(see fire) Benford on or around March 4th. 

I'll be one of the last people to defend RV, but I think numbers 1&3 were set up under his watch and before WB.