• Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
TheTastyGreek

What's left to "evaluate"?

8 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

just fire him and have Jared Mosley coach them for the remainder of the season

I love that Mosley is here. Very excited about what that could mean for the future. 

But... He's a pretty big strike against the notion that we're flat broke and financially hopeless. That's another six figures in overhead we added, and he's not the only new salary in the ledger, either. 

Again, it's directly irrelevant because cost isn't added in any way by firing Benford. But it IS relevant indirectly, in that it shows Baker didn't feel the need to slapdick around for a year (or some other arbitrary, nonsense timetable) in other areas where he felt we needed critical change and improvement.

This is what he said in the article:

One determination Baker has made is that he will evaluate the state of the school’s men’s basketball program and head coach Tony Benford after the upcoming season.

Benford is 54-73 at UNT and has yet to post a winning season in four years at the school. He took over a program that averaged 21 wins per year and advanced to two NCAA tournaments the previous six seasons under Johnny Jones, who left to take over at LSU after the 2011-12 campaign.

Benford is entering the final year of his original five-year contract and did not receive an extension after last season.

“Tony has a strong reputation, and I want to step in and see what I can do to help him be successful,” Baker said. “After the end of the season, we will sit down and evaluate what we need to do going forward.”

Now, as I have posted before, who from the current staff is going to step up and lead the way.  They are all Benford buddies and should all be gone at the end of the year, so why not just wait this out until we can make a permanent hire?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

12 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

You don't bring in an outside coach. You hand it over to a coach currently on staff and they squeeze everything they can out of the opportunity so they can land their next job and potentially jump up to head coach somewhere down the line. 

I can't think of any basketball program, anywhere in the last 10-15 years, that fired a coach mid-season and brought on an interim that wasn't already under contract with the school. If you know of one, please share. 

Firing Benford is expense neutral. There's no money to buy out or extra expenses involved. Cost is no excuse for keeping him employed here one second longer. 

No shit.

I know the interim doesn't come from outside of the program, but they get a raise to take on the extra duties.  With one month left in a lost season it would be pointless to drop extra money on a team that won't win a single conference game.  We'd be paying his remaining $100,000 that he's owed just to miss the last 8 games. The "we need to send a message" line is just a load of BS.  It doesn't make a difference whether or not he's done on February 6th or March 4th.  We've let him get to this point so we may as well see it out now and have him suffer with us.  He should've been fired YEARS ago, but he wasn't.  Why waste the extra money that would be given to an interim coach when it could be added to the new coaches salary, recruiting budget, facilities, etc.  This department has to pinch every penny because of the mess RV created.  It's 8 more games, deal with it.     

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

1 minute ago, meangreen15 said:

No shit.

I know the interim doesn't come from outside of the program, but they get a raise to take on the extra duties.    

Again, where does this happen? I've never heard of this before. Doesn't cost a dime unless we want it to, and I don't see why we'd want it to. 

Drive the stake by March 10.

Buffy-Stake-gif-1433184032.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 2/4/2017 at 11:35 PM, NorthTexan95 said:

There's 8 games left and then Benford is gone.  No need to wait ... no need to reassign ... just let him walk out the door and not come back.  Everyone knows Benford is gone so no one would be surprised. 

However, letting him go may not be as easy as that.  Are the kids still responding to him?  Are the kids still playing hard?  Is the locker room good?  Are the kids still doing well in the classroom?  If things are going reasonably well off the court then Wren might not want to cause an upheaval and make the list eight games more chaotic for the kids. .  If firing Benford can only possibly make things worse then letting him finish the season may be best. 

Living in Virginia I don't know if the kids are still responding to him and playing hard.  I do believe the Wren has a better feel for how the team is off he court than anyone outside the program.  Also, remember that we have a new AD and assistant AD who are both basketball guys.  I feel confident they will pull the trigger at the right time and hire someone who will succeed here. 

When a program is going totally bad, the plug can be pulled before the season ends.   But Wren Baker is allowing the wreck to continue to the end.

• Upvote 1

For all we know, the firing has already been done behind closed doors.

A must-win game against a team as crappy as us, at home, and getting blown out at this writing. What does it smell like to you?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

For all we know, the firing has already been done behind closed doors.

For all we know they could have agree to extend him...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

For all we know they could have agree to extend him...

the rigid digit!

200.gif#5

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 2/4/2017 at 10:35 PM, NorthTexan95 said:

There's 8 games left and then Benford is gone.  No need to wait ... no need to reassign ... just let him walk out the door and not come back.  Everyone knows Benford is gone so no one would be surprised. 

However, letting him go may not be as easy as that.  Are the kids still responding to him?  Are the kids still playing hard?  Is the locker room good?  Are the kids still doing well in the classroom?  If things are going reasonably well off the court then Wren might not want to cause an upheaval and make the list eight games more chaotic for the kids. .  If firing Benford can only possibly make things worse then letting him finish the season may be best. 

Living in Virginia I don't know if the kids are still responding to him and playing hard.  I do believe the Wren has a better feel for how the team is off he court than anyone outside the program.  Also, remember that we have a new AD and assistant AD who are both basketball guys.  I feel confident they will pull the trigger at the right time and hire someone who will succeed here. 

I think this is the most important thing right now. The season is done. He will be leaving. The students he coaches don't need more disruption in their lives. Right now, since he will be paid regardless, let him finish the season and keep his guys focused on the rest of their lives off of the court. Hopefully they're already looking for a replacement.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, Thomas Baker said:

When a program is going totally bad, the plug can be pulled before the season ends.   But Wren Baker is allowing the wreck to continue to the end.

The wreck will continue whether Benford is fired now or was fired a month ago.  My point is if it there's no benefit to the team to fire him then why do it?  Baker is in a much better position to make that call.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

The wreck will continue whether Benford is fired now or was fired a month ago.  My point is if it there's no benefit to the team to fire him then why do it?  Baker is in a much better position to make that call.  

I would say there is no benefit in keeping Benford, but giving him his walking paper early just sends a message that things are changing and that can not happen soon enough from any point of view. 

13 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

I would say there is no benefit in keeping Benford, but giving him his walking paper early just sends a message that things are changing and that can not happen soon enough from any point of view. 

I find that to be a very valid argument.  I think the fact that it hasn't happened maybe that Baker believe that's necessary.  

1 minute ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I find that to be a very valid argument.  I think the fact that it hasn't happened maybe that Baker believe that's necessary.  

I am worried that Baker is afraid to step on toes or hurt anyone's feelings. 

9 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

I am worried that Baker is afraid to step on toes or hurt anyone's feelings. 

I, too, have had such thoughts. My worst thoughts have been the other way...that he can't find the guy he wants for what he can pay, so he's still looking. In that case, better to let this play out another week for all concerned instead of blowing it up. JMO. One more two-game road trip, passing over lots of forested terrain...D. B. Cooper anyone?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The most important question here is who the hell came up with the god awful nickname The Wren?

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Baker realizes a change must be made and will make the necessary changes. If he is nervous to step on some toes, this may

be the wrong profession for him. I dont believe this will be the case, though. 

GMG

• Downvote 3

22 minutes ago, djohnnie said:

Baker realizes a change must be made and will make the necessary changes. If he is nervous to step on some toes, this may

be the wrong profession for him. I dont believe this will be the case, though. 

GMG

Agree. This is not his first rodeo, he has been with the big boys, and I think he has the huevos to pull the trigger.

• Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

Agree. This is not his first rodeo, he has been with the big boys, and I think he has the huevos to pull the trigger.

I think it was to pull the trigger early. I am also worried that he has not cleaned house in the AD yet. I am sure we will have a new coach but this should happened months ago.