Save the Date-Cheer Scholarship BB Game-April 1st

KRAM1

Yep, it is that time of year again...time to start thinking about and planning for our annual UNT Cheer Team Scholarship Basketball Game.

We are looking at April 1st this year with an afternoon tip-off around 3pm.  But, that date/time is not official as yet.  Much yet to formalize and coordinate before I can make it permanent.

A little background for this year's game...you may or may not know, but UNT's Cheer and Dance Teams have been moved from Athletics to Student Affairs.  While new for UNT, it is not unique within the University World as I have come to find out.  But, this provides me with a new team to work with in coordinating this event.  So, I need to do some coordinating with some new folks this year.  First meeting has been held, and I must say, I am very encouraged by the potential support we may have for our game going forward.

I am working on the possibility of moving the game to a new venue on campus that is better suited to basketball than the volleyball gym, but the volleyball gym remains a potential site...more on this later.

In addition, I am working on a sign-up and donations link that will provide for our funds to go directly to UNT for the s holarship which will not have any fees taken from our registration fees and/or donations....result: more scholarship funds and an official receipt to donors and players fees that can be used for IRS purposes and that will give you credit for a specific donation amount.  Again...working on it, but the possibility seems doable at this point...more later.

So, what can you do at this time?  Well, 

1.  Consider playing in the game,

2.  Consider making a donation to the event and the Cheer Scholarship,

3.  Consider being a sponsor for the event...individually or through your business,

4.  Consider donating something for the silent auction...UNT related or otherwise like gift cards, game tickets, you name it...it could help,

5.  Consider volunteering to help with the silent auction, the concessions, etc.,

6.  Can't play? Consider volunteering to referee...we need 2 minimum and four would be nice,

7.  Consider attending the event...we need support and silent auction bidders.

You can post questions here, post that you will play, will sponsor, have a silent auction item, want to volunteer, etc.. Or, you can PM me through GoMeanGreen.Com.

Yes, this is pretty preliminary, but it is what I have at this point.  I get the feeling that Student Affairs is going to be a great new partner for us.

So...we raised a tad over $6,000.00 when all was said and done through last year's game...how much can we raise this year?  Got to break our $6,000.00 record, of course, but by how much?

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3

We have our first sponsor!  Kevin Kokjohn who leads Addison Transportation has contacted me to say that Addison Transportation will sponsor the game once again.  This is our SEVENTH year to hold this event, and the SEVENTH year that Addison Transportation and Kevin Kokjohn has stepped up to be one of our sponsors!  Kevin has been very supportive of this event through the years as sponsor, former player, silent auction donor and silent auction buyer.  So, it is hard for me to come up with the proper thank you, but, folks, know that Kevin and Addison Transportation continue to play a large role in our success with this scholarship event.  So....thank you, Sir, thank you very much.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Update:  We have two new sponsors to announce!  John Williams of OAK STREET/EAST SIDE fame has agreed to sponsor our event once again....and...wait for it...John Brightwell of DOT's HGOP HOUSE fame has also stepped up to be a sponsor separate from what East Side/Oak Street is doing!  This is BIG folks and really jump start our scholarship efforts.

Since this is the seventh year for this event...we are setting out fund-raising goal at $7,000.00 this year.  We can call it SEVEN FOR SEVEN!  We raised a tad over $6,000 last year when all was said and done and all donations, player fees, silent auction monies and sponsorships were accounted for after the event.  So...why not $7,000.00?  Easy, right?

Our TRHREE named sponsors have already provided a nice kick-off for our event this year!

AND...GOOD NEWS HERE...since East Side and Oak Street are involved again this year...we will be holding our after game event at East Side this year!  After the game we will "adjourn" to East Side for some great fellowship and even a beer or two or three. PLEASE plan on participating in this event as well as the more that do the more fun it is...players, player families, volunteers, folks who come to watch, Cheer parents, etc., etc. ALL are welcome to come enjoy this after game gathering...so do make plans.

Sooooooo...after all that good news, I thought I might share a tad small bit of disappointing news.....It appears that we will, once again, be utilizing the UNT Volleyball gym for our game.  Both the old men's gym...original PIT...and the Super Pit are completely booked that weekend...and Cheer schedules are such that the first of April is the day. Guess what event is taking the Pit and Super Pit?  Ok, drum roll please......a Cheer Competition!  Now, just how ironic is that, right?

The result is that we will need to plan much earlier next year and set a date in order to be able to use one of these other facilities.  We tried...we really did...even used the VP of Student Affairs for some "pull"...just no way to move that schedule this year as the Cheer Camp brings in a good bit of cash for the university.  No, the UNT Cheer Team is not part of that event and is not connected with it...so our own is not knocking us out.  But, next year we plan plenty early...fingers crossed.

ANYWAY...now that we have the date...who's playing? Who can help with a corporate, business or personal sponsorship?  Who wants to volunteer to help run the event?  Who wants to referee? Together, we can once again make this happen.  The Mean Green Nation is a generous lot.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

We have our first referee....Ex-UNT Deep Snapper....Troy Kokjohn...the Vinney Testeverde of Cheer Basketball referees....will join us once again as one of our referees!  Troy is, of course, the world's most experienced Cheer Scholarship BB game referee....so, you guys won't be able to get anything past him! 

Thanks Vinney....oops, I mean Troy!  Appreciate you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Folks...check out this silent auction item:

New Basketball autographed by:

Shaka Smart -UT, Scott Drew - Baylor, Tim Jankovich -SMU, Jamie Dixon -TCU, Billy Kennedy - Texas A&M and Tony Benford -UNT.

A little White out will make that basketball more valuable.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Is there a three point competition?

Free throw competition?

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

We should have a alumni soccer game too! Haha. Now that I have taken over the soccer team I haven't touched a basketball since the last alumni game.?

Congratulations on your soccer teams win. Far too few people are willing to volunteer to coach  young men like you do. Especially poor minority children. To pay out of your own pocket for balls and nets on a teacher salary for a school club team whose parents struggle is commendable. Of course on this board it will get you lots of negative votes.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

10 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Is there a three point competition?

Free throw competition?

Congratulations on your soccer teams win. Far too few people are willing to volunteer to coach  young men like you do. Especially poor minority children. To pay out of your own pocket for balls and nets on a teacher salary for a school club team whose parents struggle is commendable. Of course on this board it will get you lots of negative votes.

Well said.  I, too, appreciate Andrew's soccer volunteer efforts.  We need more people willing to give back within their communities! 

AND... oh, yes, indeed, there will be a half-time mid-court shot contest.  It seems to be really fun and if you hit, you could walk off with a bit of cash.  50/50 game...open to everyone..players, all spectators, Cheer Team, referees, volunteers, etc.  Come watch this masterpiece of basketball powress and take a shot or two or three!

12 hours ago, NT1978 said:

A little White out will make that basketball more valuable.

You bid on it and win it and it is yours to do with as you please.  Hope to see you at the game with bidding pen in hand.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

On 2/11/2017 at 0:34 PM, KRAM1 said:

Shaka Smart -UT, Scott Drew - Baylor, Tim Jankovich -SMU, Jamie Dixon -TCU, Billy Kennedy - Texas A&M and Tony Benford -UNT.

I'm in and I'll coach lol 

On 2/11/2017 at 0:34 PM, KRAM1 said:

Shaka Smart -UT, Scott Drew - Baylor, Tim Jankovich -SMU, Jamie Dixon -TCU, Billy Kennedy - Texas A&M and Tony Benford -UNT.

Last name immediately takes value out lol ;)

18 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I'm in and I'll coach lol 

Excellent...got you down to play and Coach...thank you.  Hey...any of your coaching or teaching buddies that want to play just let me know...ladies are more than welcome to play as well.  MVP from one of our earliest games was a lady.

3 hours ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Did I miss the date somewhere?

Date is in the very first post in this thread.  Sorry you missed it....looking like April 1st with a 3pm tip-off.  You in this year?  Hope so.

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

No, I haven't seen a date. 

Hmmmmmm..in the very first part of the very first post!  Ha!  Looking at April 1st with a 3pm tip-off.

I realize it doesn't say it is firm as yet, but it is looking more and more like it...as is playing back at the Volkeyball gym.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Date is in the very first post in this thread.  Sorry you missed it....looking like April 1st with a 3pm tip-off.  You in this year?  Hope so.

Hmmmmmm..in the very first part of the very first post!  Ha!  Looking at April 1st with a 3pm tip-off.

I realize it doesn't say it is firm as yet, but it is looking more and more like it...as is playing back at the Volkeyball gym.

My bad! I knew it had to be somewhere for all of the people saying they were in already.  Could we potentially throw that in the Thread Title might help.  I will need to see what I got on the docket but I do always enjoy playing!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

My bad! I knew it had to be somewhere for all of the people saying they were in already.  Could we potentially throw that in the Thread Title might help.  I will need to see what I got on the docket but I do always enjoy playing!

Hope it works out date-wise for you.  Really would enjoy seeing you back for another go.

• Upvote 1