Stone Cold

@UNTSportsFan

8 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

put him on the sidelines.  Getting him screaming on the jumbo-tron....signing autographs before the game, coin flip, honorary captain.....get where I am going???

I agree with all of this.

I would also try to get him to narrate our intro videos every season.  I'd also have him narrate all the football promos and commercials.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

We have so many great alums that could potentially really help this program and university with both their personal support and donations.  So many graduated and walked away never to be heard from again....athletes, musicians, actors and actresses, writers, CEO's, politicians, scientists, doctors, lawyers, small business owners, and on and on.  We can debate the reasons why and if they should or should not have supported their university without any pat on the back or special invitation to pay it forward for current and future students, but fact is, for whatever reason, they walked.  That, folks, is water under the bridge.  What seems to be the encouraging news is that current leadership, at the highest levels of this university and in Athletics, is working to change that situation for the better.  Hopefully, folks are noticing the "reconnecting" that is going on from Jim McNatt to Stone Cold Austin to Nora Jones.  Re-connecting takes time and effort.  It is not a one call, one invite or one box of swag deal...it takes time. But, we are seeing effort being made almost daily in this area across the university. I am heartened by this effort and hope the effort is a concerted long-term strategy.  Effort has been made in the past, but fizzled out.  This time it just feels like it will be on-going and sustained.  Time will tell, but initial reports and results are encouraging.

We can all help by saying positive things about UNT in public situations and in reaching out to alums whenever and wherever we encounter them.  To help, they do not have to be of Joe Greene, Steve Austin, Nora Jones or Abner Haynes recognizibility.  Any and all alums we can help "re-connect" helps a great deal.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

57 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

We have so many great alums that could potentially really help this program and university with both their personal support and donations.  So many graduated and walked away never to be heard from again....athletes, musicians, actors and actresses, writers, CEO's, politicians, scientists, doctors, lawyers, small business owners, and on and on.  We can debate the reasons why and if they should or should not have supported their university without any pat on the back or special invitation to pay it forward for current and future students, but fact is, for whatever reason, they walked.  That, folks, is water under the bridge.  What seems to be the encouraging news is that current leadership, at the highest levels of this university and in Athletics, is working to change that situation for the better.  Hopefully, folks are noticing the "reconnecting" that is going on from Jim McNatt to Stone Cold Austin to Nora Jones.  Re-connecting takes time and effort.  It is not a one call, one invite or one box of swag deal...it takes time. But, we are seeing effort being made almost daily in this area across the university. I am heartened by this effort and hope the effort is a concerted long-term strategy.  Effort has been made in the past, but fizzled out.  This time it just feels like it will be on-going and sustained.  Time will tell, but initial reports and results are encouraging.

We can all help by saying positive things about UNT in public situations and in reaching out to alums whenever and wherever we encounter them.  To help, they do not have to be of Joe Greene, Steve Austin, Nora Jones or Abner Haynes recognizibility.  Any and all alums we can help "re-connect" helps a great deal.

True.  And if the UNT brass would have kept our football program at D1A, expanded Fouts to the required 30,000 seating, and put money and resources into Athletics, I doubt we would have seen such an exodus of well known, successful Alumni.

• Upvote 1

I'd love to agree with you @KRAM1, but the last time I pumped up the athletics to the general public and alums I was rewarded with Tony Benford for FIVE full seasons. 

I've lost faith that "this time will be different!" I suspect you will never lose that faith, and I admire you for it. I'm a far more cynical person and I'm not seeing any actual change.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1