Another example of failure

untjim1995

13 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I said this years ago that we should hold a spring game in frisco. And we are in a sponsorship with the Cowboys for UNT and freaking Tech comes in and gets this done.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Texas-Tech-Spring-Football-Game-To-Be-Played-At-The-Star-412510803.html#ixzz4Xa7bPewc

Time yet for a new banner? I have to agree that this is more than a little disappointing.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Tech played their spring game in Odessa last year.  Frankly, I don't care what Tech does. Our spring game should be at Apogee. Some in the media made a big deal about it when we had to play the spring game at Collins Stadium a few years ago.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We have some fans that really don't want this thing to ever get bigger than it is. I give Tech tons of credit for moving a spring game/practice around to their alumni bases. This was a very smart move by them. 

Those recruits in Frisco and Plano and McKinney will enjoy this a lot. But, don't worry, our recruiting is so strong that we don't need stuff like this...I mean, we own Denton area recruits, right?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

Do we want people to get used to the idea of coming to Apogee/Denton for UNT events or not? I think that is the real question, more than anything else.

Also, there seems to be a clarification: The April 1st "game" is not their spring game. It's a scrimmage.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Do we want people to get used to the idea of coming to Apogee/Denton for UNT events or not? I think that is the real question, more than anything else.

Also, there seems to be a clarification: The April 1st "game" is not their spring game. It's a scrimmage.

Even more reason why we should play a scrimmage in one of these places. A Spring practice scrimmage in Frisco could be used as a nice recruiting tool at The Star, since our name in Frisco is growing for our campus there. But, again, I thought we should have done this at Toyota Stadium in the years past--or at Clark Stadium in Plano...

Its just another way that we are still about 25% behind other FBS schools when it comes to athletics. I want to believe in Wren Baker and his staff, but I fear he's gonna be nothing more than another UNT BOR stooge. Some people here want to see more action, but maybe he's doing it behind the scenes to help make things better. But Im inherently skeptical of anything UNT athletics related to be anything bigger than it has been. The culture doesn't demand it here and in many spots within the UNT community, it's completely loathed and wanted to be stopped completely.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Even more reason why we should play a scrimmage in one of these places. A Spring practice scrimmage in Frisco could be used as a nice recruiting tool at The Star, since our name in Frisco is growing for our campus there. But, again, I thought we should have done this at Toyota Stadium in the years past--or at Clark Stadium in Plano...

Its just another way that we are still about 25% behind other FBS schools when it comes to athletics. I want to believe in Wren Baker and his staff, but I fear he's gonna be nothing more than another UNT BOR stooge. Some people here want to see more action, but maybe he's doing it behind the scenes to help make things better. But Im inherently skeptical of anything UNT athletics related to be anything bigger than it has been. The culture doesn't demand it here and in many spots within the UNT community, it's completely loathed and wanted to be stopped completely.

Can you provide imperial data that shows if we have a practice at The Star, or any other location,our recruiting will get a bump?  Just curious. To do things just to do them is not productive. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

Just now, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Can you provide imperial data that shows if we have a practice at The Star, or any other location,our recruiting will get a bump?  Just curious. To do things just to do them is not productive. 

Oh, I don't know. I mean our recruiting is just stellar right now, so...

Or we can still just keep doing the same thing over and over like we have, such as having no increase in the recruiting budget and just letting TX HS coaches and parents continue to look at us as a last resort...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Do you remember the report the consultants put out about the time WB arrived on campus? There is a boatload of crap that he has to fix before moving ahead in other areas. This athletic department has been terribly neglected for decades, it's going to take awhile to fix. Hell, we had athletes that didn't have their own lockers and equipment. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Would we have that many people go to watch a scrimmage though? In the times we've held Saturday scrimmages during Spring ball how many people are in the stands watching the team run drills and some plays? I might go once for one year but it'll be to see the Cowboys new facility and less to see my Mean Green play. Scrimmages to me are rather boring to watch. The Spring Game is OK, but I end up spending half the time chatting people up than I do focused on the game itself.

Tech is doing this as a means to reach out to its DFW alumni, which they have a pretty good sized number of alumni in this area.

Smart move by the Cowboys organization though. They're getting people to use their facility any way they can. Perhaps they can convince UNT into renting the Star out for a scrimmage as well?

2 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

I don't see why we can't have an open practice at the Star. Invite Frisco, Lewisville, and Mckinney ISD coaches and players to watch and network.

That would require effort and thought...

49 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Would we have that many people go to watch a scrimmage though? In the times we've held Saturday scrimmages during Spring ball how many people are in the stands watching the team run drills and some plays? I might go once for one year but it'll be to see the Cowboys new facility and less to see my Mean Green play. Scrimmages to me are rather boring to watch. The Spring Game is OK, but I end up spending half the time chatting people up than I do focused on the game itself.

Tech is doing this as a means to reach out to its DFW alumni, which they have a pretty good sized number of alumni in this area.

Smart move by the Cowboys organization though. They're getting people to use their facility any way they can. Perhaps they can convince UNT into renting the Star out for a scrimmage as well?

All I know is that we have more UNT alumni outside of Denton that could come and see us in their backyard.

what could it hurt to just try it?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I stand to be corrected, but has TTech since they entered the old SWC (now Big 12) in 1956 & other than 1 year when they tied for an SWC title; nevertheless, have the Red Raiders ever won outright a conference championship since 1956?

Would Tech have won a conference title if they played in any of our conferences in the last 50 years? How would we have done in the SWC or Big XII?

1 hour ago, GreenMachine said:

Do you remember the report the consultants put out about the time WB arrived on campus? There is a boatload of crap that he has to fix before moving ahead in other areas. This athletic department has been terribly neglected for decades, it's going to take awhile to fix. Hell, we had athletes that didn't have their own lockers and equipment. 

I completely agree with you, but it just doesn't seem that hard to ask SL to consider having a practice in Frisco, especially since we have paid to sponsor the Star...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I can see that a practice in the Star with recruits could be beneficial.

But the Spring game must be at Apogee. Last year's event with the sale brought in tons of coaches, recruits, parents, and fans.

Continue building our brand, not borrowing someone else's - especially not in a building that will host high school games.

• Upvote 2

Spring game needs to stay at Apogee.  Have coaches and recruits get a look at what we have built.  In fact, if it's permissible, open up the club level for the coaches.  

As far as having a scrimmage there?  Wouldn't be worth the cost to rent it and staff it.  If Jerrah was willing to let us use it and staff it for free, then it seems reasonable, but when the hell has he ever let anything go for free?

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Spring game needs to stay at Apogee.  Have coaches and recruits get a look at what we have built.  In fact, if it's permissible, open up the club level for the coaches.  

As far as having a scrimmage there?  Wouldn't be worth the cost to rent it and staff it.  If Jerrah was willing to let us use it and staff it for free, then it seems reasonable, but when the hell has he ever let anything go for free?

Agree.

As for some practices at the Star, I think it would be worth it, especially if we could bring some of our '18 recruits out to watch.

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

As for some practices at the Star, I think it would be worth it, especially if we could bring some of our '18 recruits out to watch.

How much do you think it would cost to rent and staff it?  I think that money could be used more effectively elsewhere.  Especially on the recruiting/social media front.  

If we can get it for free, then I am interested.  

8 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

• Upvote 1