Happy Birthday UNTflyer!

Harry

We lost the one guy who did more to get us a new stadium because of how poorly we ran the athletic department. UNTFlyer basically did the yeoman's work to get us the vote for Apogee and even after it was successfully passed, the continued acceptance of allowing RV to stick around was too much for him to continue following us as a rabid fan. Its just insane to know how many students and alumni are exactly like him--want so bad for this place to want to be great at sports, only to realize after years that he wants more than the university's leadership does.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

We lost the one guy who did more to get us a new stadium because of how poorly we ran the athletic department. UNTFlyer basically did the yeoman's work to get us the vote for Apogee and even after it was successfully passed, the continued acceptance of allowing RV to stick around was too much for him to continue following us as a rabid fan. Its just insane to know how many students and alumni are exactly like him--want so bad for this place to want to be great at sports, only to realize after years that he wants more than the university's leadership does.

It really is more fans lost to RV and his BS  than most here can even imagine, though some of the lost fans I know have made some noises and I think we will get a few back over time with RV gone and if we start winning. 

3 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

It really is more fans lost to RV and his BS  than most here can even imagine, though some of the lost fans I know have made some noises and I think we will get a few back over time with RV gone and if we start winning. 

That's the rub, right? Because we kept him in charge for so long, he tied our hands with mediocre to awful revenue coaches. All I know is that when he got here, the Super Pit was about 15% full on most nights...just as it is today. When he was hired, our football team got a new stadium and a new conference and in his last football season here as AD, we had real attendance right in line with we had at Fouts while playing in the SBC.

As we have seen with Littrell and even Jalie Mitchell, going from awful to mediocre is quite the process and shows just how far down things had gotten. I'm sure Bumford's replacement will show us the same thing. So, for those waiting for winning to come back around in one of the major sports here, its probably going to take awhile--and that all because RV was allowed to stay here for so long.

UNTFlyer did more for our university's athletic program than RV ever did--don't care if he got 17 donors to pay for his pet projects and donate cash, that didn't get us a new stadium that basically allowed us to stay afloat as a FBS program. Otherwise, Fouts is still our home, we are still in the SBC, and are existence as a FBS program would be in serious doubt. RV did one thing that has a lasting influence here for the good--he opened up tailgating. Imagine that, a college football team having fans that like to get together before games to eat and drink? It just boggles my mind that he was the first one to get it going here, about 30 years after everyone else had been doing it everywhere else.

• Upvote 1