Pre-Season Starting QB Thoughts

AustinFromUNT

Well with NSD now in the books we know where we stand at the QB position. Our three main front runners for the starting job are true freshman Cade Pearson, Sophomore and incumbent Mason Fine, & 3 star PWO JUCO Transfer Devlin Isadore (Izzy). Who do you have as your pre-season favorite to get the starting job come September 2 and why?

7 hours ago, LakeTravis said:

Izzy oddly was not mentioned at all today. Just cade and mason.

To finally have stability at QB and legit competition is a breath of fresh air.

I'm not sure we didn't have any more or less stability during Mac. It certainly does seem that we will have better competition.

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Where does Isadore appear in any part of the meangreen sport site? He was not on the handout that I picked up at the event. When did he arrive?

For you and @LakeTravis 

Isadore is supposed to be a walk on. Coaches/schools can't comment on any recruits that's haven't signed a letter of intent or are enrolled at that school.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

I'm not sure we didn't have any more or less stability during Mac. It certainly does seem that we will have better competition.

Mac had pretty good qb stability at first. Use the guy I inherited from Dodge until his eligibility runs out.

For you and @LakeTravis 

Isadore is supposed to be a walk on. Coaches/schools can't comment on any recruits that's haven't signed a letter of intent or are enrolled at that school.

Isadore is currently enrolled at NT. That or he just likes hanging around our campus and athletic facilities.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, dmaxel said:

Go for Izzy if he can beat everyone out and actually redshirt Fine this time?

This is an interesting idea ...

8 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Fine will be the starter coming out of Fall camp

... but this is what I expect.  

However, we know Seth will make a change and even pull a red-shirt if it's needed.  Is Izzy supposed to be healthy for spring ball?  

• Upvote 1

I don't know if many of you got to watch the signing day event yesterday (not the one at Apogee at 5:00pm, but the one streamed online at 1:00pm), but if you did, you saw an incredibly confident (on the verge of cocky) Cade Pearson come in and almost guarantee he's going to win the starting spot.

I hope Fine saw that.   Cade is here to take your job Fine.   Work hard.

Fine will be starting 9/2.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Fine starter, Izzy back up, try to save Pearson for a RS if at all possible.  Pearson pushes Fine next season for Starting job.  

2 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

... but this is what I expect.  

However, we know Seth will make a change and even pull a red-shirt if it's needed.  Is Izzy supposed to be healthy for spring ball?  

Yes, by all the workouts I've seen he seems full cleared minus contact (he's in shorts and shirt workouts so thats hard to tell for sure.) 

• Upvote 1

Littrell showed us last season that nobody's job is safe and if the coaching staff thinks you are the good enough then you will start. This is why it's so important that Cade got here early. He will be here for Spring Practice and there can be a real battle for the job between him and Mason. Not sure if the staff will push Izzy this Spring as he had an ACL injury last season. If he is healthy then we will have three QBs to compete for the next seven months. As much as I like Mason. If someone else is better then get him out there.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Isadore is currently enrolled at NT. That or he just likes hanging around our campus and athletic facilities.

Hmm, but is he either on scholarship or officially part of the team? I may have simplified that earlier statement a bit too much. I was thinking more in line with regular PWO or Blueshirts. Coaches can't comment until the fall on those (after enrollment or fall camo stats)

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, dmaxel said:

Go for Izzy if he can beat everyone out and actually redshirt Fine this time?

3 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I like this idea although we might need a back up just in case Izzy's knee gives out again but if we can have one of the other guys step in and be a solid back up that would give Mason an extra year to get stronger and heal up that shoulder. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, TheBigCawCaw said:

I'm not trolling

Besides the people who are members on this website, most alumni want a better QB. Don't be so content with a QB who basically was ranked dead last in our conference QB ratings. 

You are correct! I wish we could get a 5 star QB in here but the chances of that happening are slim. Fine though very small and very young was the best QB we have had here since the mighty HOD Bowl MVP D. Thompson. Fine is only going to get better in this system but when you get knocked down 100+ times a season, you are not going to perform well. If we had a better line, I think he would of done a lot better. I hope Izzy is the QB we have been hoping and praying for if he can stay healthy.

You have to play with the hand you were dealt and we are still trying to wipe away the shit show that was a 1-11 season so give these guys some time and we will get the QB we all have craved for.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, TheBigCawCaw said:

I'm not trolling

Besides the people who are members on this website, most alumni want a better QB. Don't be so content with a QB who basically was ranked dead last in our conference QB ratings. 

Yes but please keep in mind that as a true freshman he beat out a RS Senior Grad transfer from a National Championship program. Maybe he was dead last but he was less than 4 months out of high school when he took the starting job. Please temper your disdain.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, TheBigCawCaw said:

Better O-Line? I mean Morris got shafted after the FIRST game and then came in hot at the HOD. Which he proved a lot of you wrong and who knows what we could of done with a QB with a legit arm. We also have some new cards on the table as far as QBs and right now and we need the biggest card to win this hand....and Fine isn't the card you want. 

Dude was a true freshman.

Were you around long enough to remember Nick Mullens' freshman year at SoMiss?  I do.  He was pedestrian-at-best (and he looked absolutely terrible against us).   He wound up killing it... because he improved.   I expect Fine to do the same.

• Upvote 4