Just Venting

Mike Jackson

21 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I guess it is too bad that we can't pull up the rankings for that one terrific class but every other class Dickey had was not as good as Dodge's 2008 class. I don't recall there being better facilities in'08, just a promise that we might have a stadium before they'd graduate.

What measure do you use to determine that Dickey brought in more highly rated and regarded talent than any other? I don't recall talk of Dickey bringing in 15 3-stars in one class or a class ranked 57th in the nation, but I do remember constant complaints on here about "stealth recruiting". You may have slept through the seasons before and after the Sun Belt came and saved Dickey's job but I sure didn't. I remember getting being Baylor's only win in an empty Floyd Casey in 1999. I remember 50-2 at home against Tulsa in 2005 and 35-0 at home to the MUTS. I remember only getting 3 field goals out of seven overtime drives from the 25 against the worst team in college football.

You may believe that Dickey would've found a way to win again after the rest of the Sun Belt finally got FBS-level talent but I sure don't. He was piloting a ship that was sinking faster than the Titanic and I know for damn sure Apogee doesn't get opened in 2011 if he stays the coach after 2006. He had us pointed straight to D1 purgatory, Dodge screwed up his staff big time for sure, but he also, by class ranking, was the best recruiter we've had. He was also the best hand shaker/baby kissed we've had too which contributed a lot to butts in the seats, student interest, and ultimately Apogee. 

Dickey, mich like Mac was blessed with a class of leaders that would carry the program, once those leaders graduated they couldn't lead there own programs and everything fell apart.

I will never believe Dickey was one of the "greats" to coach at North Texas because it took a conference change for him to start winning. I'd compare it to NT being dropped into the Southland Conference in 2010 and Dodge ends up winning conference with a losing record.

Dickey is held in high regard by some around here for 4 straight conference championships and 26 straight conference wins but they always seem to ignore the fact that during his "miraculous" bowl run his record was 29-21. Of those 29 victories, a whopping 4 were against teams that didn't have a losing record. That's right, Dickey averaged 1 win per year against bowl eligible teams over that incredible four year span. Don't build that statue just yet. The Sun Belt suck saved Dickey's ass whether you want to admit it or not. When their talent levels caught up to ours, he was toast.

You know it is the off season coming off a disappointing recruiting season, when it seems every thread is turned in a DD referendum. 

DD and I think it had more to do with Kenny Evans, had one great recruiting year and it was much better than Dodge's first year of recruiting.   That 2000 recruiting class had the oft mentioned multiple state 100 players.  Hall, Gardener, Kennedy, Jones, Casey, Buckles and the mostly forgotten Colin Ridgeway.   All turned out to be strong contributors with the exception of Ridgeway, a 6'4 245 de who was scheduled to start but than just disappeared.  Add to this several players who all turned to be all conference players, all state center Mike Brewster, 4 year starter Nick Zuniga, NFL draftee Cody Spenser and great walk-on Chris Hurd.   

After that class, DD was able to add some more great players to compliment that 2000 group.  However, recruiting pretty much dropped off the map, once those players were gone.  DD's so called "stealth recruiting" was basically sitting back till the last month or so of recruiting and than going after the best that didn't get that offer they wanted.  Worked for a while, but other lower tier teams starting doing more of the same and were better at it.   

DD deserved to be fired, but I disagree with you and others who make the point of his Belt winning string being mostly because of the weakness of the early Belt.  No one can argue about the Belt's weakness, but to dismiss this accomplishment became of it, is not deserved.   There are few teams anywhere that have dominated a conference for that long.   NT didn't do it in the Southland, Lone Star or MVC.    As far as DD's success against OC opponents, look at his schedules compared to what NT has played since.  DD didn't want to play away guarantee games, and his strategy was to shorten the games and keep the score down.   

In summary, I agree with almost everything except the Belt winning streak relative to DD.   Dodge would not have won in the Southland, much less ran off 26 straight wins.  I never considered him to be the people person, you describe.  His first class was a result of being a high school legend and a lot of connections, not his innate recruiting ability.  McCarney couldn't recruit, but we will never know how much his myriad of health issues had to do with his failure.    

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Did not think my "just venting" would get so much attention.  Long story short even all very interesting and solid feedback I would have still taken 3 more season of Dickey (if we get Apogee on the same timeline) than Dodge or maybe Mac.  I doubted both of those hires.  Seth on the other hand had no glaring red flags.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 2/4/2017 at 10:08 AM, Mike Jackson said:

UNT’s bowl teams the early 2000s were build on the backs of a terrific class that was loaded with talent and the overall recruiting prowess of Darrell Dickey and his right-hand man Kenny Evans. There are some stubborn old timers who hate to admit it, but Dickey brought in more highly rated and regarded talent than any coach UNT has had since returning to the FBS level and he had less to work with than anyone. He also enjoyed more success.

-Bret Vitto 

I would have been pissed too in Darell Dickey's shoes.  How pathetic has this program been for 90% of the time since Dickey has been dismissed

I think Vito is the stubborn old timer.  He's always been a Dickey apologist and for some reason has harbored an unnatural hatred of Dodge (my opinion). For Dodge, the talent he was able to bring in never translated in results on the scoreboard. That is undeniable.  It seems silly to even argue about this, but by far, Dodge brought in the most highly rated (by the rating services) and regarded talent and it's not even close.  I provided my feedback on this topic in another thread, but Vito's statement is just plain wrong.  Just because he says it over and over and over doesn't make it true.

Edited by keith
Spelled it right the first time
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, keith said:

I think Vitto is the stubborn old timer.  He's always been a Dickey apologist and for some reason has harbored an unnatural hatred of Dodge (my opinion). For Dodge, the talent he was able to bring in never translated in results on the scoreboard. That is undeniable.  It seems silly to even argue about this, but by far, Dodge brought in the most highly rated (by the rating services) and regarded talent and it's not even close.  I provided my feedback on this topic in another thread, but Vito's statement is just plain wrong.  Just because he says it over and over and over doesn't make it true.

How many conference championships and bowl appearances did Dodge have?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

On 2/4/2017 at 11:27 AM, GreenGonzo said:

We still hardly won any non-conference games during those New Orleans Bowl years.

Yes, but here's the point to be made:  there were several schools in the Sun Belt during that span that did not win the conference during the same sapn, right?  So, what do we do?  Pooh-pooh Dickey's accomplishments simply because he didn't win as many OOC games as people would have liked?  Do we laud the coaches who didn't win the Sun Belt during that stretch?

Dickey sometimes had three bodybag games a season.  Three!

If Dickey had not won four Sun Belt titles, would have have made some of you happier? 

The fact is, someone has to win the conference every year, in every conference.  Dickey did it four years in a row.  Name another UNT or NTSU coach who won their conference four years in a row, and/or took their squads to bowls or playoffs (when we were I-AA) four years in a row.

What is the point of belittling Dickey's accomplishment?  Did Dickey negotiate our entry into the Sun Belt Conference?  Was it his fault we were "only" in the Sun Belt? 

In 2001, did Dickey make the NCAA rule that allowed him to take a 5-6 conference winning school to a bowl game?

All he did was coach in the conference the then-athletic director and school leadership had negotiated, and coached under the NCAA rules at the time.

What kind of fantasy land do some of you live in where it's somehow Dickey's fault that he "only" won the Sun Belt and made one bowl "only" because of an NCAA rule?

Pick any other time or era where a North Texas or North Texas State coach did what Dickey did.  You can't because it has only happened with Dickey.

He didn't choose the lousy facilities.  He didn't choose the conference he played in.  He didn't make the NCAA rules.  He simply coached within the scope of each - and did a damn good job of it.  Diet Cokes all around!

This mindset of no good deed goes unpunished/damned if you do, damned if you don't always pops up when Darrell Dickey or Derek Thompson are mentioned.  It's insanity. 

No other North Texas coach put together four consecutive conference titles and post season appearances.  It's that simple.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Aldo said:

How many conference championships and bowl appearances did Dodge have?

That's irrelevant because the quote from Vito wasn't, "There are some stubborn old timers who hate to admit it, but Dickey has has more conference championships and bowl appearances than any coach UNT has had since returning to the FBS level and he had less to work with than anyone."  

It was, " There are some stubborn old timers who hate to admit it, but Dickey brought in more highly rated and regarded talent than any coach UNT has had since returning to the FBS level and he had less to work with than anyone."

Vito is presenting his opinion as fact when the independent rating services say otherwise.  I even recall when Riley Dodge signed with us he was touted (at the time) as the highest rated recruit to ever sign with North Texas. 

Again, the issue raised by Vtto is about the rating of talent brought in (which is done on/around signing day).  The issue isn't about getting results from that talent.

Edited by keith
Corrected spelling
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

12 minutes ago, keith said:

That's irrelevant because the quote from Vito wasn't, "There are some stubborn old timers who hate to admit it, but Dickey has has more conference championships and bowl appearances than any coach UNT has had since returning to the FBS level and he had less to work with than anyone."  

It was, " There are some stubborn old timers who hate to admit it, but Dickey brought in more highly rated and regarded talent than any coach UNT has had since returning to the FBS level and he had less to work with than anyone."

Vito is presenting his opinion as fact when the independent rating services say otherwise.  I even recall when Riley Dodge signed with us he was touted (at the time) as the highest rated recruit to ever sign with North Texas. 

Again, the issue raised by Vtto is about the rating of talent brought in (which is done on/around signing day).  The issue isn't about getting results from that talent.

All of it is irrelevant because North Texas gets what North Texas gets. 

What each coach has done with what North Texas gets is the only thing that differentiates one from the other:
-Dickey won four titles and had four bowl appearances.
-Dodge, neither. 
-McCarney, no titles, one bowl.
-Littrell, no title (yet), one bowl (so far)

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

All of it is irrelevant because North Texas gets what North Texas gets. 

What each coach has done with what North Texas gets is the only thing that differentiates one from the other:
-Dickey won four titles and had four bowl appearances.
-Dodge, neither. 
-McCarney, no titles, one bowl.
-Littrell, no title (yet), one bowl (so far)

• Simon 3 years, 3 wins over bowl-eligible teams; 1 per year 
  • Dickey 9 years, 9 wins over bowl-eligible teams; 1 per year
  • Dodge 3.5 years, 2 wins over bowl-eligible teams; 0.57 per year
  • McCarney 4.5 years, 5 wins over bowl-eligible teams; 1.1 per year
  • Littrell 1 year, 2 wins over bowl-eligible teams; 2 per year

Edit: Just pointing out that this is just since our 1995 return to FBS. It doesn't include Simon's 1994 SLC championship season.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Is that really bowl eligible teams or bowl teams?

On 2/15/2017 at 2:33 PM, Cr1028 said:

Edit: Just pointing out that this is just since our 1995 return to FBS. It doesn't include Simon's 1994 SLC championship season.

Nobody cares about the number of wins over bowl eligible teams you have.  They care about wins and championships.  No one cares that we beat marginal 6 win G5 teams.  You can only beat the teams on your schedule and only win the championship of the conference you are in.  North Texas could conceivably go 10-2 next year regular, lose in the CUSA championship game, lose their bowl game and could end the season without a win over a bowl team.  Anyone lamenting that would be an idiot.  The fact is that we at best will have maybe 2 winnable games against team that will eventually end the season bowl eligible each year.  You could say 3 if you could a body bag game which you shouldn't.  That isn't a low bar that is just realistic.  If we had better OOC scheduling that might not be the case but we don't.  It might not be the case if we were in a better conference but we aren't.  Stop judging North Texas coaches on some made up bullshit instead of the actual job description.  Win games and lead young men - In other words get young men to achieve the best academic and athletic achievement that are achievable with their gifts and hard work.  So if you do that you coach should have a winning record most seasons and be in championship contention.  That is what I wanted and what Darrell Dickey got us closet too while here. Dodge 0 championships 0 winning seasons, Mac 0 championships 1 winning season, Littrel 0 championships, 0 winning seasons.  Dickey 3 winning seasons, 4 championships this shit isn't complicated.

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Nobody cares about the number of wins over bowl eligible teams you have.  They care about wins and championships.  No one cares that we beat marginal 6 win G5 teams.  You can only beat the teams on your schedule and only win the championship of the conference you are in.  North Texas could conceivably go 10-2 next year regular, lose in the CUSA championship game, lose their bowl game and could end the season without a win over a bowl team.  Anyone lamenting that would be an idiot.  The fact is that we at best will have maybe 2 winnable games against team that will eventually end the season bowl eligible each year.  You could say 3 if you could a body bag game which you shouldn't.  That isn't a low bar that is just realistic.  If we had better OOC scheduling that might not be the case but we don't.  It might not be the case if we were in a better conference but we aren't.  Stop judging North Texas coaches on some made up bullshit instead of the actual job description.  Win games and lead young men - In other words get young men to achieve the best academic and athletic achievement that are achievable with their gifts and hard work.  So if you do that you coach should have a winning record most seasons and be in championship contention.  That is what I wanted and what Darrell Dickey got us closet too while here. Dodge 0 championships 0 winning seasons, Mac 0 championships 1 winning season, Littrel 0 championships, 0 winning seasons.  Dickey 3 winning seasons, 4 championships this shit isn't complicated.

I totally agree with the "win the schedule you're given and don't worry about anything else other than coaching your players to reach their maximum potential".

I don't know how every person currently going to North Texas, or all the previous graduates and "previously attended" people feel about what constitutes a successful season and/or historical program.

What I do know is a conversation I had with my son ( a North Texas graduate) while we were sitting down at a local sports bar to watch the NT/So Miss bowl game. My son's favorite college team when he was in HS was Nebraska. He keeps up with the Cowboys, but he doesn't care one way or another if they win. He is very knowledgeable about sports and can rattle off lots of stats about a lot of players in various sports. He played football at Boswell for four years and started his senior year. He has yet to go back and attend one game at Boswell since graduating in 1999 (that's kind of a cultural thing at Boswell. I'll explain if you like). He indulged his old man and agreed to watch the game with me at the sports bar.   I mentioned to him that this would be NT's fourth straight bowl game, and I casually mentioned that I was disappointed that that fact didn't seem to energized students/alums to show up to games in greater numbers.  

He just looked at me with a little bit of (kind) amusement on his face and said "And how many of those bowl games have they won? And does anyone really think that anyone in Texas, or North Texas for that matter, even knows anything about Cincinnati (our one win) much less cares about the win over them? He added, "If North Texas wants to get noticed by the casual fan and/or the fence-setting North Texas potential fan, they better start beating NAME schools......ideally ranked in the top 25. 

I hope my son doesn't represent the attitude of most of the recent (last 20 years or so) students/graduates out there. If he does, North Texas has a much tougher sell on their hands than they ever imagined.

NOW, having said that. I will repeat my rant on the subject that everyone has heard for the umpteenth time. 

Any coach that we hire might be able to change the "culture" of the football team, but unless they conduct workshops/town meetings with students and faculty staff, on campus, with free food,  on a regular basis, they are not going to change the UNIVERSITY'S CULTURE. THAT HAS TO START FROM THE TOP AND WORK IT'S WAY DOWN.

This being the revival season here in Texas, I'll use a Texas church analogy to make my point. After all, football IS considered a religion here in Texas. 

All the old SWC schools here in Texas were raised by administrators and active alumni to (metaphorically speaking) ALWAYS ATTEND CHURCH ON SUNDAY AND REGULARLY TITHE.  That's a tradition that has gone back as long as they first started fielding organized sports at their respective schools, and it's reflected in just about every High School program in Texas. 

IT'S THEIR CULTURE!

NORTH TEXAS HOWEVER WAS RAISED BY A SERIES OF ADMINISTRATORS WHO WERE AGNOSTICS AND/OR ATHEIST WHEN IT CAME TO ORGANIZED SPORTS. They were (at best) tepid in their attitude about attending sporting events, and they were adamant in their negativity about giving back to the school.  

Hayden Fry started our Mean Green club back in 1973/74.  And I don't know when our endowment fund got started.......much later I'm guessing.

THIS culture has to be changed at the same time that the individual cultural changes take place with our various sports teams.

Our last great attempt to make this cultural change (everyone who knows me can start rolling their eyes now) took place during the Jitter Nolan/Hayden Fry era. But Hayden finally got tired of beating his head against a brick wall and left, and Jitter Nolan was shortly thereafter run out of town by the old school atheist/agnostics.

IMHO, there's the situation.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

T'S THEIR CULTURE!

NORTH TEXAS HOWEVER WAS RAISED BY A SERIES OF ADMINISTRATORS WHO WERE AGNOSTICS AND/OR ATHEIST WHEN IT CAME TO ORGANIZED SPORTS. They were (at best) tepid in their attitude about attending sporting events, and they were adamant in their negativity about giving back to the school.  

I'm in 100% agreement with everything you said.  And I think pissing on Dickey is a part of that culture problem here.  The casual fans aren't coming to Apogee unless you win Big and that means dominating your conference and winning 10+ games every year.  When I talk about embracing students I get poop pooped on GMG.com.  And I agree we do very little to get them engaged on average.  Something simple like getting 100+ students to lead the band across the bridge and into stadium would be a start.  I prefer going to college games over the NFL 100% because of atmosphere and the students are a huge part of that. It took a really long time to make the culture the way it is here at UNT so thinking a coach can just win and change that overnight is stupid.  Other than an all-star big name coach coming here with an all-star support staff (invested in staying of the head coach moves on) could do that.  UNT does not have that type of money so that isn't happening.  Running off the best coach you had in over 20 years should be questioned especially since no coach has come close to his success since leaving.  Winning the CUSA West Division is no more difficult than winning the Sun Belt back during Dickey's run especially when you compare our resources to our CUSA West Division foes.  UTSA is brand new to FBS, Rice hasn't done anything significant (significant bigger that what has been reasonably achievable since returning to FBS) for  since 1994 SWC co-championship, UTEP has 2 G5 level conference championships  all-time, La Tech has 2 G5 level conference championships all time, UAB football has just returned from the dead and have virtually no historical achievements.  The only CUSA West program that should have North Texas looking up is Southern Miss.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

@Mike Jackson I'm not trying to piss on Dickey. He has done some good things at Memphis and at North Texas beat teams he should have beat for 4 out of his 9 seasons here. I'm saying I don't think he was a great coach. He was extremely lucky to have the Sun Belt fall in his lap. If North Texas is in the Big West again for 2001, Darrell Dickey is coaching somewhere else in 2002. Period.

He has a career losing record.  He sandwiched his bowl years with 2 and 3 win seasons. His conference record was 34-22 with a 26 consecutive game win streak when the Sun Belt showed up. He had 3 winning seasons in 9 years for crying out loud. He was only good at beating schools a half step above FCS. He should not be mentioned in the same category as Odus Mitchell and Hayden Fry because he isn't anywhere near the coach they were.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

On 2/18/2017 at 11:30 AM, Mike Jackson said:

It does mean something.

However, there are surely twice as many bowl now as there were during most of the Simon/Dickey eras.  I mean, the Sun Belt had five bowl game tie-ins last season.  When we were in the Belt, it had one tie-in, maybe two at the very end of Dickey's tenure(?).

So, how it really means is up for debate.  Because of the differences between bowl tie-ins then and now, a better comparison is probably what was Dickey's and Simon's record versus schools winning at least six games.

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

It does mean something.

However, there are surely twice as many bowl now as there were during most of the Simon/Dickey eras.  I mean, the Sun Belt had five bowl game tie-ins last season.  When we were in the Belt, it had one tie-in, maybe two at the very end of Dickey's tenure(?).

So, how it really means is up for debate.  Because of the differences between bowl tie-ins then and now, a better comparison is probably what was Dickey's and Simon's record versus schools winning at least six games.

That why I asked if he meant bowl teams or bowl eligible. I'd bet there are more bowl eligible teams than during DD's tenure, but no where close to twice as many bowl eligible teams.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

It does mean something.

2 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

That why I asked if he meant bowl teams or bowl eligible. I'd bet there are more bowl eligible teams than during DD's tenure, but no where close to twice as many bowl eligible teams.

On 2/15/2017 at 2:33 PM, Cr1028 said:

On 2/15/2017 at 2:43 PM, Army of Dad said:

Is that really bowl eligible teams or bowl teams?

On 2/15/2017 at 4:20 PM, Cr1028 said:

FBS schools with six wins or more.

Dickey beat 9 FBS teams with at least 6 wins in 9 years. If I had done bowl teams, I'm sure it would've been fewer wins than 9. 

All of the #s above are based solely on a team's win/loss record and not if they actually were invited to a bowl game. For example, if I were doing this analysis for another team, say 2001 Colorado State, North Texas would not have been included as we only reached 5 wins. By my metrics, we were not bowl-eligible even though we were technically a bowl team.

Edited by Cr1028

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Dickey beat 9 FBS teams with at least 6 wins in 9 years. If I had done bowl teams, I'm sure it would've been fewer wins than 9. 

All of the #s above are based solely on a team's win/loss record and not if they actually were invited to a bowl game. For example, if I were doing this analysis for another team, say 2001 Colorado State, North Texas would not have been included as we only reached 5 seasons so by my metrics, were not bowl-eligible even though we were technically a bowl team.

Yep, and there's sure to be more bowl eligible team now because there are more FBS teams and with a 12 game schedule there's probably more 6 win teams as well.

19 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Yep, and there's sure to be more bowl eligible team now because there are more FBS teams and with a 12 game schedule there's probably more 6 win teams as well.

A fair point but if I remember correctly, I don't believe we beat many, if any, 5-win teams during the Dickey reign.

50 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Keep pooping winning conference championships, makes a lot of sense. smh

It's great he won the conference he was in. I'm just saying that doesn't make him a great coach like Fry and Mitchell. He was an average coach at best, same as McCarney.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1