Will there be consequences?

UNT90

4 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Consequences for what? Being lowly rated after 1-11 and 5-8 seasons? Getting blown out 66-7 last year by FCS, since you love to bring that up so much?

For recruiting like a lower tier Sun Belt school. 

Then again, that's what you and your former employer are fine with, isn't it?

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 29

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

For recruiting like a lower tier Sun Belt school. 

Then again, that's what you and your former employer are fine with, isn't it?

You do realize we lost to Portland State by 60 a year and a half ago, and got obliterated by UTEP last year, right?

CUSA=Sun Belt

We're lower tier CUSA.

Despite your negativity, you have a stunning optimist vision of how UNT is perceived.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 11
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

You do realize we lost to Portland State by 60 a year and a half ago, and got obliterated by UTEP last year, right?

CUSA=Sun Belt

We're lower tier CUSA.

Despite your negativity, you have a stunning optimist vision of how UNT is perceived.

I expect UNT to be better. To hire better. It's clear at this point that UTSA made a much better hire. Not even close. 

You, on the other hand, will accept the constant suck that is UNT athletics. You will defend, and have defended, low expectations and low results. 

Its the reason UNT has sucked at everything for an awful long time.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 24

This is why I said that bowl game didn't matter as much as the practice time.  We don't need to be on TV at half empty Cotton Bowl Stadium in the middle of the day on a Wednesday.  We need to on national TV in Denton in a sold out Apogee Stadium.  And good ole RV scheduling made that virtually impossible without winning multiple conference titles and bowl games in consecutive seasons.  But it is no time to dwell upon the past (at least in this thread).  Seth knew (of should have known) the challenges he would face at UNT given its history.  And this is also why if I were a hot FBS head coaching prospect looking for my first HC position I would pause long and hard before accepting it.   

With all that being said I am against any "consequences" now other than maybe reducing roles of some of the staff and adding one staff member.  Give these guys a chance to coach up their additions from the first 2 recruiting classes.   UNT doesn't get 6 wins or more next year and the recruiting is looking just as bad by mid December then heads need to roll.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, UNT90 said:

I expect UNT to be better. To hire better. It's clear at this point that UTSA made a much better hire. Not even close. 

You, on the other hand, will accept the constant suck that is UNT athletics. You will defend, and have defended, low expectations and low results. 

Its the reason UNT has sucked at everything for an awful long time.

What are the odds you hit 29k posts by the end of this month?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

It is bad PR and not a good omen that third-party observers have ranked our recruiting class so low. That's like their f-ing opinion. I refuse to get my bowels in an uproar over this, at this time. When we see what these guys look like on the field, when the coaches who supported these guys have a chance to coach them, and then when they underperform...my bowels will be in an uproar and I will be critical.  When I go down the list and look at those guys, one by one, I see nothing to dislike.

I understand the historical background and the statistics related to the rankings. If these are character kids, given their football resumes, this class is going to outperform.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 4

Geez ... overreacting a bit?  The "holding people accountable" really gets old.  You don't throw people out after one year - that's how bad programs are run.  No one outside of a few folks will remember the recruiting ranking 11 months from now if we're 7-5 and going to another bowl.  If Littrell can't recruit then we'll know that in time.  If changes need to be made then hopefully they'll make them.  But if no changes are made that does not mean no one is being held accountable.  

R-e-l-a-x.  There's not way to adequately judge how good a class is until several years at least have passed.  Remember that when Littrell was hired EVERYTHING started over and it will take time.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, EagleMBA said:

It is bad PR and not a good omen that third-party observers have ranked our recruiting class so low. That's like their f-ing opinion. I refuse to get my bowels in an uproar over this, at this time. When we see what these guys look like on the field, when the coaches who supported these guys have a chance to coach them, and then when they underperform...my bowels will be in an uproar and I will be critical.  When I go down the list and look at those guys, one by one, I see nothing to dislike.

I understand the historical background and the statistics related to the rankings. If these are character kids, given their football resumes, this class is going to outperform.

We want honorable, upstanding kids, but character doesn't produce on Saturdays. Go watch Rudy if that's the kind of player you want to see play Saturday. Also, it's unrealistic to think most of these kids are just "overlooked" or potential diamonds in the rough.  Rankings are an inexact science but an offer sheet says a whole helluva lot when considering the level of player NT is recruiting. 2-3 Star kids with a decent offer sheet consisting of several FBS schools says a lot about the caliber of player we're looking at. Overall, I'm very disappointed with where this class has fallen....

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

The system we run isn't nearly depending on a huge haul of 3 star talent as Dan's system was e.g.  I was definitely concerned about the number of recruiting battles we lost but I don't think rankings will be as big of an indicator of success with this system as they have been with previous regimes.  

On a somewhat related note, I recommend that you all read The Perfect Pass by SC Gwynne.  It's about the birth of the Air Raid following Hal Mumme's career.  Interestingly the first page of the book opens with Graham throwing the game winning pass to Crabtree in 2008.  

Lots left to be determined with this class but I do believe that we will be fine.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Geez ... overreacting a bit?  The "holding people accountable" really gets old.  You don't throw people out after one year - that's how bad programs are run.  No one outside of a few folks will remember the recruiting ranking 11 months from now if we're 7-5 and going to another bowl.  If Littrell can't recruit then we'll know that in time.  If changes need to be made then hopefully they'll make them.  But if no changes are made that does not mean no one is being held accountable.  

R-e-l-a-x.  There's not way to adequately judge how good a class is until several years at least have passed.  Remember that when Littrell was hired EVERYTHING started over and it will take time.  

Maybe you should ask tommy perry about not throwing people out after one year.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

This 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1