Time for Wren and company to exit the bunker

meanrob

He could start by firing the basketball coach. It's long overdue. Then don't try to pump sun shine up our rear and tell us how great this class is. Just don't comment about it at all. That will send a message.

What he can't do is sit on his ass and continue to "evaluate." 

That act is beyond old

• Upvote 14
  • Downvote 14

37 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Meh, I could care less about votes. I'm more interested if people think it's the ADs job to promote the program when times are tough. Because I'm not seeing anything. 

Well, you have the same exact top and mid-managers that were there under RV. Why would things be different? 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 6

13 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Meh, I could care less about votes. I'm more interested if people think it's the ADs job to promote the program when times are tough. Because I'm not seeing anything. 

Not so much on WB as it should be on the Marketing and Promotion Dept... What I'm wondering is with WB bringing in some of his own people in Mosley and others, should we expect to see other guys leave after this school year like Hank and Capper(for example) just like Tommy Perry did with the staff? He has done a few things like the questionnaire about to improve the gameday experience(which they made minor adjustments but nothing major, which that could be because it was during the season) and they did the free tickets to the SM game but even that was poorly promoted(most of us heard about it through a random post on here). I do think the weak sch hurts them in terms of bringing out fans, but I would think with how many a Tech would bring in with Tech Alumni in DFW, it may offset the UNT fans that would just assume it would be a blow out and not show up... Basketball is completely overlooked on campus, I had classes in the Superpit when they played Texas College at the start of the year and no one had any interest in watching the game with us getting out 30 minutes early, and honestly I think and a lot of people thought that this men's basketball team could have been one of those teams that played well enough to get into the conference tourney and possibly earn a march bid... Womens basketball doesn't get the hype because its just a sport that people don't get pumped up for because even though they are best of the big 3 teams, they still aren't great...

I do agree that SL isn't the best interview but he is a lot better then he was when he got introduced.. I'm hoping that this will change the longer and more comfortable he gets here. Yes, he has been here for a year but he just doesn't seem like he feels comfortable in front of the mic, like he may say something wrong or incorrect. Beneford is just a lame-duck with WB most likely already targeting/focusing on who to interview. As much as firing Beneford would be a boost to the alumni, its not going to make a major difference in terms of support with most fans with this season already looking like an waste. If keeping Beneford around means we are more likely to keep guys from transferring that is good for us fans but sucks for the players.. What WB is hopefully doing, is narrowing the list with his targets selected with those people being able to build a staff quickly so the recruiting cycle isn't a complete wash. But I do think Basketball is honestly the easiest sport in either mens or womens to go from the bottom to respectable, heck with Frazier alone I think a lot of us expected us to be even a middle of the tier team(maybe even higher than a mid-tier CUSA team?)

But back to the marketing, Winning will be and should be the best marketer for the team.. The coach with the most energy and appeal to the fans is Ek. The ADs job should to put these coaches/staff into the best position possible.. But we will truly will never really know if WB fault or someone elses fault for these problems.. The real determination should be is there a clearing house this spring/summer or do these people stay around? If they clean house, then we know(or would think its because its not WB staff) or if they are kept then we know they are trusted and thought to turn this around. But I do feel like that AD department has a lot of potential if it were to even just do Q/As to see what is and isn't working.. getting the students involved when it comes to different marketing/promo campaigns or even recruiting..

Sorry for the long post/rant

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Well, you have the same exact top and mid-managers that were there under RV. Why would things be different? 

3 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

Was just about to bring up that point

Real question is... does some of the AD staff get "Tommy Perry'ed?" Thanks for the 1 year and getting us set up/ connected with the community/right people or are they kept around. Those questions should be answered this Spring/Summer..

I'm also wondering/assuming that guys like Hank and them are on a contract with the school?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Not so much on WB as it should be on the Marketing and Promotion Dept... What I'm wondering is with WB bringing in some of his own people in Mosley and others, should we expect to see other guys leave after this school year like Hank and Capper(for example) just like Tommy Perry did with the staff? He has done a few things like the questionnaire about to improve the gameday experience(which they made minor adjustments but nothing major, which that could be because it was during the season) and they did the free tickets to the SM game but even that was poorly promoted(most of us heard about it through a random post on here). I do think the weak sch hurts them in terms of bringing out fans, but I would think with how many a Tech would bring in with Tech Alumni in DFW, it may offset the UNT fans that would just assume it would be a blow out and not show up... Basketball is completely overlooked on campus, I had classes in the Superpit when they played Texas College at the start of the year and no one had any interest in watching the game with us getting out 30 minutes early, and honestly I think and a lot of people thought that this men's basketball team could have been one of those teams that played well enough to get into the conference tourney and possibly earn a march bid... Womens basketball doesn't get the hype because its just a sport that people don't get pumped up for because even though they are best of the big 3 teams, they still aren't great...

I do agree that SL isn't the best interview but he is a lot better then he was when he got introduced.. I'm hoping that this will change the longer and more comfortable he gets here. Yes, he has been here for a year but he just doesn't seem like he feels comfortable in front of the mic, like he may say something wrong or incorrect. Beneford is just a lame-duck with WB most likely already targeting/focusing on who to interview. As much as firing Beneford would be a boost to the alumni, its not going to make a major difference in terms of support with most fans with this season already looking like an waste. If keeping Beneford around means we are more likely to keep guys from transferring that is good for us fans but sucks for the players.. What WB is hopefully doing, is narrowing the list with his targets selected with those people being able to build a staff quickly so the recruiting cycle isn't a complete wash. But I do think Basketball is honestly the easiest sport in either mens or womens to go from the bottom to respectable, heck with Frazier alone I think a lot of us expected us to be even a middle of the tier team(maybe even higher than a mid-tier CUSA team?)

But back to the marketing, Winning will be and should be the best marketer for the team.. The coach with the most energy and appeal to the fans is Ek. The ADs job should to put these coaches/staff into the best position possible.. But we will truly will never really know if WB fault or someone elses fault for these problems.. The real determination should be is there a clearing house this spring/summer or do these people stay around? If they clean house, then we know(or would think its because its not WB staff) or if they are kept then we know they are trusted and thought to turn this around. But I do feel like that AD department has a lot of potential if it were to even just do Q/As to see what is and isn't working.. getting the students involved when it comes to different marketing/promo campaigns or even recruiting..

Sorry for the long post/rant

No worries on the rant but I think you've proven the point. I'm not interested in pointing fingers, but at the end of the day it is WB's responsibility.

Just now, meanrob said:

No worries on the rant but I think you've proven the point. I'm not interested in pointing fingers, but at the end of the day it is WB's responsibility.

Agreed on the lines that its WB job to put the right people in the right places.. Now we just gotta determine if the old staff is worth keeping around or moving on.. I just don't get how the school that has many degrees that require Intershipships/ Service hours.. they could easily have students developing/ involved in some of these jobs if anything its free man power and a lot more ideas, in a program that is in need of new ideas, new blood, and new ways of conducting itself.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Can't believe I was worried about Tulsa, Houston, or Texas Tech pilfering Littrell just three months ago.  I think there will be less interest in Baker than him if the Big Three keep crashing.

I had hoped for a more seasoned AD when Baker was hired because UNT is a tough nut to crack.  Not sure he knows what he's doing yet.

In the back of my mind, I worry that he and Littrell may think that failure here would be excused in the coaching and athletic administration circles, given our history since 1983.  I really hope that's not the case.  But, it just doesn't seem like a lot of umph is coming from either of them.  Can't sense urgency or restlessness for winning from either of them right now.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Good grief, people.  How any of you would accept a job with an organization that was broken after being told you would be given six months to correct everything.  Some of you are ready to fire coaches after turning a 1-11 team into a 5-8.  I worked for a president I thought was ready to fire people, but he was a piker compared to some of you.  I know 90, I am part of the problem with this attitude.

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 4

It seems a little like some are  missing the point of the post. The AD needs to create buzz about his department. Unfortunately, based on hearing his comments that "no one eats at a bad restaurant twice" I think he is waiting until he thinks he has things improved before he tries to do any marketing efforts.

That may be fine if if does really improve things and when he markets it is fresh and creates buzz, it will just mean us old timers will have to continue waiting.

One thing that could create buzz that wouldn't require either of those is making a splash hire at MBB coach. I mean someone that everyone goes woah they are serious now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

It seems a little like some are  missing the point of the post. The AD needs to create buzz about his department. Unfortunately, based on hearing his comments that "no one eats at a bad restaurant twice" I think he is waiting until he thinks he has things improved before he tries to do any marketing efforts.

That may be fine if if does really improve things and when he markets it is fresh and creates buzz, it will just mean us old timers will have to continue waiting.

One thing that could create buzz that wouldn't require either of those is making a splash hire at MBB coach. I mean someone that everyone goes woah they are serious now.

I agree but I'm talking the little things. A web video series. A contest. New mean green wear or products. Cabanas on the field. Something. 

The thing that is needs to be improved is the allocation of money within budgets... A lot of us are upset that we still have a bottom of the barrel recruiting budget. Yes they are making improvements to the facilities to the different sports... But 1 deal that is still seems very odd to me is the Cowboys Deal.. We pay nearly 2M to just get some signs and that up, which that is all great but it should have included other things like the ability to practice at the facilities or something... But we see photos posted of individuals going to the games.. This nearly 2M could have easily been dumped into the Sports Programs, heck its worth nearly 8M over 8 years.. That's 1M we could be offering coaches, increasing budgets, etc... I know some of these choices were made before WB.

Also, I do agree with you @meanrob, about they should be doing web video series. I'm going to assume a lot of kids have no idea about UNT about UNT that live 3 or more hours away.. They need to be expanding the social media of the school/ programs/ etc... If its doing more of these 1 on 1 with players, film breakdown like we saw with Orr/Robertson, etc. When kids get a letter or offer from UNT, they go out and google/youtube it.. We have an entire campus of film students that could be getting some experience and it helps promote the program.

8 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

But 1 deal that is still seems very odd to me is the Cowboys Deal.. We pay nearly 2M to just get some signs and that up, which that is all great but it should have included other things like the ability to practice at the facilities or something... But we see photos posted of individuals going to the games.. This nearly 2M could have easily been dumped into the Sports Programs, heck its worth nearly 8M over 8 years.. That's 1M we could be offering coaches, increasing budgets, etc... I know some of these choices were made before WB.

That has nothing to do with Athletics.  Decision made by Smatresk and it is run through University Admin, not Athletics.  

I understand that and this was made before WB was around.. but issues like this need to be reviewed and brought up.. Yes its great marketing for UNT, but they are paying the Cowboys for the school to have a little banner at games, and online, and its doubtful kids have been appealed/applied to UNT in crazy amounts because of a cowboys games banner along with select school personal getting sideline-suite tickets. They have talked about how they want to increase the apparence of the school, well spending/investing in Football and Basketball are key. Playing on TV is free marketing, and a winning/successful team leads to higher enrollment rates as well.

Just now, Cerebus said:

That has nothing to do with Athletics.  Decision made by Smatresk and it is run through University Admin, not Athletics.  

4 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

I wouldn't say he isn't going to do any marketing but rather he's not looking to spend tons of money on marketing for a poor product. I think the term is "throwing good money after bad."

Yes, there will be some marketing but more money is going to be spent on making the product better first.

22 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I wouldn't say he isn't going to do any marketing but rather he's not looking to spend tons of money on marketing for a poor product. I think the term is "throwing good money after bad."

Yes, there will be some marketing but more money is going to be spent on making the product better first.

Is that opinion or fact?

If he needs to have the money before doing anything creative, he's at the wrong place. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Is that opinion or fact?

If he needs to have the money before doing anything creative, he's at the wrong place. 

Opinion but what good is it to spends tons of money on marketing a bad/poor product when you could spend money on improving that product thus making its marketability easier and more effective at little later down the road?

Edited by UNTFan23

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

Opinion but what good is it to spends tons of money on marketing a bad/poor product when you could spend money on improving that product thus making its marketability easier and more effective?

Why do you have to spend a ton of money?  I'm not talking about advertising. 

I used to work for a company that did promotions all the time. Of every shape and size. And most of it costs little money. 

2 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Why do you have to spend a ton of money?  I'm not talking about advertising. 

I used to work for a company that did promotions all the time. Of every shape and size. And most of it costs little money. 

How do you promote a team that's had 1 winning season in the last 10? Don't you think it might be easier to promote a team that's had a few winning seasons before you trying to pull everyone into the stadium? That's where the comment of "eating at a bad restaurant twice" comes from. We always hear fans here complaining about getting a nice crowd into the stadium and then crapping the bed in front of a good sized crowd. It would be better if we were more consistent before we try to start bigger promotions.

• Downvote 1