Just curious out there how many fans of the sport we have. Maybe we could have an ongoing thread when fights come up.

*  I lumped the 2 sports together because I'm not sure how much interest there is on these boards.. anyway , thought I'd give it a go

@TheTastyGreek & I had a great time last night with some highly entertaining fights 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

1-golovkin-jacobs.jpg

So, for anyone that's a casual boxing/MMA guy, or just someone that watched "Rocky" movies in the 80's and Mike Tyson fights in the late 80's/early 90's... There's a fight this Saturday featuring the most exciting, enjoyable boxer I can remember in my lifetime. 

That guy on the left up there is Gennady Golovkin. If you've never seen or heard of him... He's basically half James Bond, half Ivan Drago, with a sprinkle of Borat thrown on top. He's never lost, he's knocked out 23 opponents in a row, and nobody has every survived anything longer than an 8 round fight against him without getting brutally KO'd. 

Here's an article from about 4 years ago called "The Scariest Man Alive Wears A Cardigan: A Day With Gennady Golovkin". 

"Golovkin" is a word long invoked in boxing gyms in the same way that "Keyser Soze" was invoked in The Usual Suspects. Keep your head down and your mouth shut, or else we'll have you spar with Golovkin.

Golovkin is an undefeated professional fighter, yes, and one of the top-ranked middleweights in the world, sure, but his real buzz started with all of the whispered legends about what he did to other men sparring, in dingy gyms. This or that undefeated young buck was made to look like an amateur; this or that world champion had to quit; this other one is flat out scared to spar him at all.

Though he fights at 160 pounds, he tends to spar guys who fight at 175 or 180. And they wear body armor around their torso, the same kind that NFL quarterbacks wear. And he is not allowed to hit them in the head during sparring, lest they get hurt so bad they refuse to come back.

But he's not just the scariest boxing man alive, he's also one of the most charming and charismatic, despite (and sometimes because of) the fact that English is his 4th language. Unlike guys like Mike Tyson or Floyd Mayweather, he's not a dominant hurricane of power or a nearly flawless tactician (though he is both) that's also a rapist or a woman-beater. He's funny, polite, and all around delightful. 

For example:

16789950_1729379134018831_61028424596565

Or, his comments about pre-fight relations:

On his thoughts about having sex before fights:

“It’s no problem. Sex is sex, drink is drink, breakfast is breakfast...

“Maybe the last week [before a fight] you’re focused not for sex, you’re focused for boxing, this is different situation, different deal.”

If you've ever seen a heavyweight fight, where the raw power of the guys leads to a lot of tentative jabbing and clinches... That's the KO strength but not the style of a Golovkin fight. If you ever had the misfortune of paying money to see a Floyd Mayweather fight, which makes boxing seem as thrilling as watching an expert accountant do corporate taxes... That's not a Golovkin fight. 

Golovkin's early days (and less developed English) led to the accidental coining of the catch phrase that defines his fights: Big Drama Show. Golovkin fights like the sort of 2nd tier sluggers that create the bloody, action-packed affairs that make people wince and cringe and cheer like wild, bloodthirsty animals. If you ever saw the Ward vs. Gatti fights, or anything that featured guys pistoning away with both arms while eating punches and desperately trying to beat their opponent into submission... Golovkin, despite having amazing tools and abilities that would allow him to fight a shrewd, tactical style and take far less punishment, is willing to take risks to entertain and create amazing moments.  

In his own words

“I think everybody likes ‘big drama show,’ you know?” Golovkin said Wednesday. “I just want to bring my fans a show. Not jab, not moving. … Everybody’s paying money for tickets. For what? To drink? To watch like movie theater for two hours? This is boring. No.”

If you have a minute or two and your interest is piqued... Enjoy "Fun With GIFs: Fighters Reacting to Gennady Golovkin's Power". 

Here's my favorite:

AdolescentSlushyAfricangroundhornbill.gi

I can't embed the ultra slow-mo, but definitely go to this Deadspin article to see one of the most impressive displays of fortitude, skill, and raw violence you'll ever see. It comes from Golovkin's fight against Daniel Geale. 

Here's the GIF:

czmlbi2x1huu1sygbogl.gif

It's awesome in GIF form, but definitely see the super slow-mo to really appreciate it. Geale lands a solid right hand right on GGG's nose. Some fighters would have reacted slower and had their nose broken. Most would have been knocked down getting punched clean by a guy with that much power, many would have been knocked out entirely. Golovkin part eats it, part slips it, and then throws an off-balance falling away hook that ends the night. 

If you watch Geale's face in super slow-mo, it's a lifetime of emotions in less than 2 seconds. He's thrilled to see the opening, ecstatic to land the punch, confused to see GGG slip/survive it, shocked to see the return hook coming, anxious right before it lands, and then he's semi-conscious and on his way to the ground. He got up from the punch, somehow, but told the referee he was done. And I don't blame him. 

If you want to read more, here's a great Grantland article from early in GGG's days fighting in the USA. Highlight quote:

By the end of Golovkin’s seven-round TKO victory Saturday night at Madison Square Garden, he had won every round. He’d made his opponent, Gabriel Rosado, look like he’d just starred in a reenactment of the blood shower scene from Carrie. Golovkin’s punches had opened a deep gash above Rosado’s left eye and had more or less exploded whatever soft tissue had been inside Rosado’s nose. His blows had spattered blood onto the ropes, onto the lenses of HBO’s ringside TV cameras, and onto the side of Rosado’s trainer’s face. Golovkin had handed out so much punishment that moments before the end of the fight, Rosado’s trainer turned to the fighter’s father and said, “I gotta stop it. Your son’s gonna die, man!”

If you don't like reading, but enjoy seeing photos of good or great fighters (who make their living getting punched by the best people-punchers in the punching business) getting utterly destroyed by this man, then here are a few to enjoy:

ggg-blood.jpg

1481425448025699725.jpg

25EE523000000578-2963432-image-a-33_1424

nintchdbpict000265714857.jpg?strip=all&w

Golovkin333-1024x673.jpg

GolovkinMonroe_Hoganphotos7.jpg

GGG222.jpg

Only the last of those is a repeat from one fight. Every other picture, GIF, or video comes from different fights, all from the past 5 years. 

The man is the closest thing to guaranteed entertainment you can get in boxing. He breaks faces and ribs, he gobbles up hearts and devours souls entirely.

He fights on Saturday night. It may last 3 rounds, it may last 8 rounds. The only sure things are that it will end in a knockout, and it will be ferociously entertaining. And if he's standing at the end of the fight, Golovkin will make you smile and laugh in his post-fight interview

If you're up for it, check out the pay-per-view or head out to a bar that's showing it. You're not likely to regret it. 

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:27 PM, GreenMachine said:

Instead of mods locking down threads due to people bickering, the offenders should have a cage match. 2 people enter the cage, only 1 person leaves. 

and then, later on, the other person leaves.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, THOR said:

and of course this fight went the distance and to a decision...so much for his 23 fight KO streak

Jacobs fought him pretty much perfectly, still got knocked down once, rocked a few other times, and had both eyes swelling by the time the fight was over. 

Not at all what I expected, but definitely a tense, close fight. 

UFC/MMA doesn't last long enough.  Waste of time and money. 

Also, it seems girlish/childish to me that you hit someone while they were on the ground.  I boxed as a kid and wrestled.  I like both, but not together.  Different skill sets.  But, it takes no skill to pound someone in the head if you have the immobilized with a wrestling hold.

If you are going to fight, fight like a men.  Get on your feet and box until one or the other gives out from exhaustion, is knocked out, or you run out of rounds.  Part of the test of a boxer is endurance, and another part is toughness to withstand round after round of punches.

If you want to show you are a great wrestler, get in the Olympic wrestling program and try to beat the best in the U.S., then the world.  Part of the skill involved in wrestling is the escape moves.  You work just as hard at escaping as you do with takes down.   

That part is wiped out in UFC/MMA because once you are taken down, a guy can just pound your head.  It's stupid.  A five year old can pound away at someone if they're immobilized.  It's not impressive to me that you can "choke" someone out.  My 11 year old son could choke someone out.  So could my nine year old daughter.

You can't choke people in real wrestling matches.  There no skill in choking.   

I don't think any of those UFC/MMA guys could beat a real boxer boxing or a real wrestler wrestling.  UFC/MMA is just street fighting for about 10 minutes at the most.  They've turned it into a marketing thing to trick rednecks out of their money, same as the WWE and other "wrestling" gambits.  Bravo.  That's capitalism at its finest.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I used to watch a lot of boxing in the 70s and 80s.  Then pay-per-view came along. I no longer own a home from which I could take equity loans to pay the television fees.  

Movie theater.

Cheaper than home, better than bar. 

I buy one or two fights a year max. Last night, @@UNTSportsFan and I watched at the Cinemark at Vista Ridge. Less than $20, thick padded recliners, enormous screen, good and respectful audience. 

Golden Boy (Canelo's promoters) usually have 4 or 5 metroplex theaters showing the fight. We watched Canelo v Khan in Grapevine. Sometime a week or so before the fight, look around online and I'm sure (if you're still in Lewisville) you can see it for less than $20 and within 20-25 miles, max. 

If you've ever enjoyed boxing, you'll probably love this fight. Hopefully it's at Jerryworld. 

3 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Movie theater.

Cheaper than home, better than bar. 

I buy one or two fights a year max. Last night, @@UNTSportsFan and I watched at the Cinemark at Vista Ridge. Less than $20, thick padded recliners, enormous screen, good and respectful audience. 

Golden Boy (Canelo's promoters) usually have 4 or 5 metroplex theaters showing the fight. We watched Canelo v Khan in Grapevine. Sometime a week or so before the fight, look around online and I'm sure (if you're still in Lewisville) you can see it for less than $20 and within 20-25 miles, max. 

If you've ever enjoyed boxing, you'll probably love this fight. Hopefully it's at Jerryworld. 

Interesting idea.  I never knew that was a thing.  On the pay-per-view, I'd have to subscribe to cable first, which I don't ever see myself doing.  

Just now, oldguystudent said:

Interesting idea.  I never knew that was a thing.  On the pay-per-view, I'd have to subscribe to cable first, which I don't ever see myself doing.  

Don't blame you. 

They also offer live streams, which you could of course watch through your TV. But they cost as much as the full PPV.  

On 03/24/2017 at 0:25 PM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

UFC/MMA doesn't last long enough.  Waste of time and money. 

Also, it seems girlish/childish to me that you hit someone while they were on the ground.  I boxed as a kid and wrestled.  I like both, but not together.  Different skill sets.  But, it takes no skill to pound someone in the head if you have the immobilized with a wrestling hold.

If you are going to fight, fight like a men.  Get on your feet and box until one or the other gives out from exhaustion, is knocked out, or you run out of rounds.  Part of the test of a boxer is endurance, and another part is toughness to withstand round after round of punches.

If you want to show you are a great wrestler, get in the Olympic wrestling program and try to beat the best in the U.S., then the world.  Part of the skill involved in wrestling is the escape moves.  You work just as hard at escaping as you do with takes down.   

That part is wiped out in UFC/MMA because once you are taken down, a guy can just pound your head.  It's stupid.  A five year old can pound away at someone if they're immobilized.  It's not impressive to me that you can "choke" someone out.  My 11 year old son could choke someone out.  So could my nine year old daughter.

You can't choke people in real wrestling matches.  There no skill in choking.   

I don't think any of those UFC/MMA guys could beat a real boxer boxing or a real wrestler wrestling.  UFC/MMA is just street fighting for about 10 minutes at the most.  They've turned it into a marketing thing to trick rednecks out of their money, same as the WWE and other "wrestling" gambits.  Bravo.  That's capitalism at its finest.   

So, if MMA is so easy and requires no skill, give it a shot. I mean, it can't be harder than you say right?

Just a guess, but you've never trained have you?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is going to be a good fight.   One that I would actually consider paying to watch, since GGG had to step down to Canelo's Light-middleweight class, right?

Not at Caneloweight. Full 160 middleweight. 

17 hours ago, Rudy said:

So, if MMA is so easy and requires no skill, give it a shot. I mean, it can't be harder than you say right?

Just a guess, but you've never trained have you?

Yes, I wrestled and boxed, but never did martial arts.  You don't understand what I've written.  I appreciate and respect those who master a martial art. 

If you want to prove you are a great wrestler, make the Olympic wrestling team.  If you want to prove you are a great boxer, get in the ring and box. 

However, I know from fights that mixing the two is stupid.  In high school, I took down two guy who tried to fight me, but didn't know how to wrestle.  They swung, I ducked and shot single leg take downs on both and immobilized them until they agreed to stop.

But, at no point did I then begin to choke them or punch them when I had them immobilized.  To me, that's not proving anything.  I'd already proved that they couldn't beat me by taking them down and immobilizing them. 

Had I chosen to box with them, even though I done so as a youth, they likely would have beaten me because they were both bigger and had longer reaches. 

UFC allows people to do things that are illegal in wrestling and boxing...and, likely illegal in pure martial arts contests as well.  Mainly, choking, locking hands (i.e., "full Nelsons"), hitting in the back/kidney, hitting in the back of the head, etc. 

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox

On 5/7/2017 at 0:27 AM, TheTastyGreek said:

Golovkin v Canelo, September 16th. 

Finally. 

Yes!  Watched the Canelo - Chavez, Jr. fight at a party thrown by one of my wife's Mexican family friends.

They required a $5 bet from everyone.  I took Canelo simply based on his work against Mayweather and Amir Khan.  I had never heard of Chavez, Jr. fighting anyone close to that level of competence.

For whatever reason, Alvarez allowed Chavez to stay upright.  He could have knocked out Chavez at any point of the fight, in my estimation.

Sadly, of the two dozen or so Mexican folk at the party, only my wife and the husband of the host family put money on Alvarez with me.  The husband predicted a 8th round knockout; I chose a decision, and won the money.

The thing was, all the Mexicans just heard the name Julio Cesar Chavez, ignored the Jr. part of his name, and threw in their money.  I don't think any of them had ever really seen Alvarez fight.  Crazy.  None of them knew Alvares was Mexican.  Before the fight, many asked me if he was Puerto Rican!

Golovkin is a great fighter.  He and Alvarez are obviously two of the best pound for pound in the world.  Boxing desperately needs more matches like this one. 

And, let me say something else to the UFC crowd, if Conor McGregor (28 years old) was a real man, he'd be asking to fight Alvarez (26 years old) or Golovkin (35 years old).  Mayweather is 40 and has not fought in two years.  McGregor is about money, not competition.  He knows Alvarez and Golovkin would pummel him senseless. 

And, I feel the same about Mayweather.  He gave Maidana two fights, but not Alvarez?  I respect Mayweather because he is technically as sound a boxer as I've ever seen.  But, he does tend to pick and choose instead of taking the toughest fight he can.  He put off the Pacquiao fight until Pacquiao had nothing left.  And, in my opinion, he's always ducked Amir Khan. 

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, EagleGreen said:

August 26th: Mayweather, McGregor. It's going to be a great night. 

Really?

If you want, I'll just call you the next time I eat Indian food and you can pay me $10 to stare at my toilet for an hour. 

For 90% off, you still get to see a hideous pile of shit that was the inevitable result of a bad idea that never should have been indulged in the first place. And you can take the money you saved and spend it on Golovkin vs Canelo. 

8 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Really?

If you want, I'll just call you the next time I eat Indian food and you can pay me $10 to stare at my toilet for an hour. 

For 90% off, you still get to see a hideous pile of shit that was the inevitable result of a bad idea that never should have been indulged in the first place. And you can take the money you saved and spend it on Golovkin vs Canelo. 

What's that quote about opinions and human orifices?  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Really?

Chill Tasty.
wWH0Wg7.gif
These are the same people who watch the Kardashian shows.   You can't tell them how stupid it is.  Just let them be happy with the 'fight'.

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

What's that quote about opinions and human orifices?  

There's one born every minute. And this clown show is where they and their money will be soon parted. 

Either of those the one you meant? 

50 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Chill Tasty.
wWH0Wg7.gif
These are the same people who watch the Kardashian shows.   You can't tell them how stupid it is.  Just let them be happy with the 'fight'.

Give me Tyson v Secretariat