-1 Day and Its finally Over.

UNTLifer

16 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

If we aren't good at fundamentals, then anyone of any size can be competitive with us.

So true that. The neat thing (to me, anyway) about basketball is that two or three really good guys and a handful of team players can make a good run and get lots of notice.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

So true that. The neat thing (to me, anyway) about basketball is that two or three really good guys and a handful of team players can make a good run and get lots of notice.

And I think we have a good roster now. Besides injuries, just think if this team could shoot 80% from the free throw line, limit themselves to 12 turnovers a game, finish layups, and limit opponents on the offensive boards. Screw the fact Benford couldn't coach, just imagine how many more wins we could have had in the past five years if we had just done all of that. Closing games has been our kryptonite, too, but making free throws and limiting turnovers goes along with that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

if this team could shoot 80% from the free throw line

Only two teams in all of college basketball shoot 80% or better. 

Before this year, nobody had done it since 2012. 

If this team could shoot 80% from the free throw line, they'd be one of the best free throw shooting teams in modern college basketball history. 

4 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

If this team could shoot 80% from the free throw line, they'd be one of the best free throw shooting teams in modern college basketball history. 

102-Animal-House-quotes.gif

• Upvote 3

Just now, EagleMBA said:

102-Animal-House-quotes.gif

Fair enough. Didn't mean to be too terse. 

But, remember that once upon a time, we had people here bitching about us being a poor free throw team during 3 of the best free throw shooting years in North Texas history. So... Context is always important. 

On 2/25/2017 at 7:46 PM, TheTastyGreek said:

This to me is a fundamental flaw in basketball.  When teams/players/current culture/whatever dictate that free throw percentages are so low, and oftentimes dictate a substantial portion of if not the entire margin of victory, then defenses are effectively incentivized to foul as much as they can get away with, for they get rewarded with a minimum of 0.4 points every time they do.  It slows the game down something fierce, is about as exciting to watch as athletic administrative staff spreading mayo on a Jimmy John's sandwich, and from the point of the of the team shooting, seems to be entirely ignored as a potential weapon. 

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 2/25/2017 at 7:40 PM, Matt from A700 said:

And I think we have a good roster now. Besides injuries, just think if this team could shoot 80% from the free throw line, limit themselves to 12 turnovers a game, finish layups, and limit opponents on the offensive boards. Screw the fact Benford couldn't coach, just imagine how many more wins we could have had in the past five years if we had just done all of that. Closing games has been our kryptonite, too, but making free throws and limiting turnovers goes along with that.

Compare our roster to the rest of CUSA & its not as good you think. Its probably middle of the pack or maybe just a little bit lower for CUSA.

Our turnover % is not as bad as you think.

What has hurt this team is and all of Benford's teams is offensive efficiency & effective FG%. The offensive strategy was never well organized. A lot of times the only way his teams could create wide open shots was off of the fast break. Of course there was the occasional good ball movement possession, but those were rare. This team and all the other teams struggled to create good offensive possessions. Its been bad shot after bad shot. Im tired of watching guards go 1 on 1 or 1 on 5 drive into the lane and throw some wild ass shot up. 

Offensive eff rankings

NCAA                   CUSA(Conference Only Play

2013 - 272            10 (Sun Belt)

2014 - 271            11

2015 - 280            9

2016 - 240           12

2017 - 318           14

Even only playing conference opponents his teams couldn't get it done on offense.

On 2/25/2017 at 7:46 PM, TheTastyGreek said:

Teams are shooting 75% from the line against us. 

• Upvote 2

The end is approaching and we wouldn't want to botch this...it is time for a function check on the primary and secondary systems!

200.gif#9200.gif#20

A few drops of oil and it looks like TheWren will be good to present his evaluation and implement the findings.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

WHY SHOULD HE HAVE NICE THINGS?!  

*cries*

If it makes you feel any better... He WILL be in Shreveport. I know it's just across the border, but that's still technically Louisiana. 

So, there's that. Silver lining? 

Freedom is near. I hope. I remember early last season, year 4, when there was the competition about Benfords firing date. I figured it would be in January (of 2016). I have no clue who in the end will win that sandwich. But it will be the saddest sandwich ever. That said, since I and most other posters were that far off, the trust that this nightmare really is over tomorrow is not as high as it should be.

Edited by outoftown

Meanwhile, after #hit-22 tomorrow, TB (soon to be known as DB) excuses himself to go to the loo on the way back to Denton...

he bailed with a parachute, six suits, and a negotiated contract completion bonus.db-cooper-skyjacking.gif

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1