2017 North Texas Football Schedule Released

MeanGreenTexan

25 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

When I read about Lamar I always laugh because of the name. Younger people might not know why it makes me laugh. There's only one Lamar!

Eh, you're not that "eld".  This is what I think of when I hear "Lamar":

200_s.gif

• Upvote 6

25 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

I would rather not have home games against Tx-Ou and Halloween, but not the worst schedule. Hopefully lots of late games. 

When it comes to conference games, CUSA decides who plays when on what weekends. We can ask for certain things but it doesn't mean we'll get them.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

When it comes to conference games, CUSA decided who plays when on what weekends. We can ask for certain things but it doesn't mean we'll get them.

Don't kid yourself this happens all too often to be a CUSA thing and it does not help the conference to have lower attendance if a TV game. Its better for us, because more fans helps to get the stadium loud.  The TX-OU game would be a great opportunity for our Bye or an away game and that one should be mandated. Halloween is probably bad lots of places. This is not something we need to make excuses for out Athletic Department, if it happened once in a while I am with you. 

Maybe one day we will have a strong enough fan-base not to have to worry about things like this. 

Just now, KingDL1 said:

Don't kid yourself this happens all too often to be a CUSA thing and it does not help the conference to have lower attendance if a TV game. Its better for us, because more fans helps to get the stadium loud.  The TX-OU game would be a great opportunity for our Bye or an away game and it that one should be mandated. Halloween is probably bad lots of places. This is not something we need to make excuses for out Athletic Department, if it happened once in a while I am with you. 

Maybe one day we will have a strong enough fan-base not to have to worry about things like this. 

Chances are way before the schedule is released conference match-ups are shared with our TV partners. They pencil in matchups for certain weekends they are interested in broadcasting and the schedule gets created from there.

We could "mandate" we want certain games on certain days but again it doesn't mean we'll get what we want. Personally, I'd rather our AD fight for better things than not playing a home game the same weekend as the Red River Rivalry.

I totally get that TX/OU weekend is "not a good weekend" for NT but we get what we're given. I agree our athletic department shouldn't use the game as an excuse and do what it can to drive attendance regardless of nearby games that are of high interest.

Scheduling is more of an art than it is a science.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Taking a second look, that date is the week after our bye...a perfect game to move to a televised Thursday night, since we always seem to have one moved anyway.  Then the UT/OU crowd can have their t-shirt rivalry this year.  I also like that we're on the road for NASCAR weekend this year too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

In 12 games we only leave the state of Texas 4 times.  What would this be if we were in the Mountain West praytell?

A butt load more TV money? A more respected conference? 

Then again, we are just little ole UNT. We should just be happy where we are at...

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

When it comes to conference games, CUSA decides who plays when on what weekends. We can ask for certain things but it doesn't mean we'll get them.

And we should always just be happy with what we get. I mean, why ask and rock the boat?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Harry said:

In 12 games we only leave the state of Texas 4 times.  What would this be if we were in the Mountain West praytell?

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

patch-trollin-gray.jpg

Answer:
We'd be in a better respected/more visible conference and leave the state 5 times instead of 4 (only replacing the Rice away game).

19 minutes ago, Travis said:

It worked out well for TCU.

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

A butt load more TV money? A more respected conference? 

Then again, we are just little ole UNT. We should just be happy where we are at...

Yeah, staying close is kinda nice.  But it had better take a far distant backseat to making UNT respectable at a national level.

I think TCU would be pretty dang good no matter where they are, and I'm not sure being in the MWC would automatically make us pretty dang good.

I do admit I did not know the MWC equated to tons more money.  Would it be enough to offset the travel costs?

Edited by greenminer

I could feasibly make eight regular season games this season.  I can't complain about that no matter how hard I try.  Unfortunately, the two road games I can make are SMU and LaTech, neither of which are my favorite stadiums to visit, but in the case of the latter, there's beer and gambling involved, so I got that goin' for me. 

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

Unfortunately, the two road games I can make are SMU and LaTech, neither of which are my favorite stadiums to visit, but in the case of the latter, there's beer and gambling involved, so I got that goin' for me. 

Ruston recently got a Captain D's, so it's got that going for it. 

20 hours ago, Stix said:

Rice Stadium is going to be pretty empty on 11/25.  Since it's Thanksgiving weekend, I don't expect many NT fans to make the trip, not like this year.

But... I'll be there - it's a "home game" for me!

I'll be in Buna TX (Beaumont area) for Thanksgiving and will be making the extra 2 hour drive to watch my boys play. 

Super excited to get to watch my em play 8+ times this year

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Come on dude........we bring as many into that stadium as they do.  It's pretty much a home game.  Dominate Lamar, as we should, and you could see a great turnout there (gonna have to advertise though Batchelder).  

Oh I know we do and I'm as proud of our attendance there as anyone else here on this forum.

But, I was referring back to a couple years ago when we only had 5 home games because we were supposed to look at SMU as our 6th home game that year.  It was ridiculous then, I still consider that ridiculous now, and I'm glad that whoever was in charge of that decision is now gone. 

• Upvote 4

I will predict eight. I won't specify which games those are, because to me I see 10 winnable games other than Iowa and at Louisiana Tech. Like many have mentioned, I appreciate seeing the three Texas conference opponents being separated into two-one home and away. But also, in the past few seasons we've had stretches where we'd go four weeks without a home game (either three straight on the road or two straight with a bye). Perfect bye position and it's not in the middle of a road trip so the longest we will go away from Apogee is three weeks.